PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Waldorf

Aisling
11-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm planning on homeschooling dd as dh and I are looking at going to the mission field within the next several years. My hubby was raised in Congo/Kenya and spent the vast majority of his childhood outdoors, and has really positive memories of it. :tu I've heard a little about Walfdorf family approach and am intrugued, but am still trying to figure out what the core values/practical applications are. I've been scanning the website, but was wondering if anyone could help me out by sharing your experience :)

Mamatoto
11-09-2005, 03:09 PM
What website were you on?

Waldorf is a philosophy that is based on Christianity and the works of Rudolf Steiner. My family has been on a journey the past year to bring Waldorf into our own home as well as the wonderful works of Charlotte Mason. Both are very outdoor oriented and promote natural learning. Some of Anthroposophy (Waldorf) can be strange and new agey spiritually. You have to be very discerning about what you read. However, I have also found that the educational aspect of Waldorf is removed from a lot of the out there things. The gentle, beautiful view of children has appealed to me, as well as the natural things.

Waldorf has been a very positive thing in our home and we have also attended a conference at our Waldorf school and seen some of the applications/disciplines with the children. For me, it was really neat to see the 7th graders take care of the younger kids during the conference...soo naturally is really the best word! A 7th grade boy even put homeopathic gel on ds's head when he got a bump! Wow! The kids are very polite and well rounded and creative that come out of Waldorf. There are many that go on to ivy league schools. If we could afford it and it was closer I may have chosen the Waldorf school, but I am so happy to be homeschooling in this method. Academics are kept for over age 6 or when the teeth change, so we are just having such a great experience with the nature and outdoors projects and beautiful stories and wooden toys and playsilks. My kids imaginations are so neat to see..they can do so much with a simple stick!

I could go on...but I should go make dinner now! :grin :hug :candle Blessings!

cobluegirl
11-09-2005, 11:02 PM
That is interesting Autumn..I had always heard that it was newagey and not like what christians would want at all...I suppose like montessori though..depends who is running the school....

Mamatoto
11-10-2005, 07:22 AM
That is interesting Autumn..I had always heard that it was newagey and not like what christians would want at all...I suppose like montessori though..depends who is running the school....

I think it depends a lot on how you take things, too. The Waldorf books that I have read can be sooo spiritual, using lots of scripture, and be so inspiring to me with my children. At the same time, you have to be careful because the same author will bring a quote from Buddha in next to the scripture. But that isn't actually the Waldorf stuff, that is books that have been recommended to me by Waldorf parents. Waldorf itself as an educational philosophy is different. There is so many depths to it that it is hard to explain here...it's best to take your own personal journey of research and see what you can take for your own family from it. I do recommend visiting a Waldorf school before making judgements about it, though.

You might just feel at home with all the slingin' mamas, recycled materials, gentle discipline, and homeopathic medicine. ;)

I also recommend that you visit Bob and Nancy's bookshop and look at some of the books available there. There is one on Christ and healing that looks interesting...I would like to get that sometime to see how their theology is. ;)

Quietspirit
11-10-2005, 07:42 AM
We use Oak Meadow curriculum (Waldorf inspired, none of the New Age stuff) and absolutely LOVE it. My son is in 5th grade and I am so impressed with the way they blend academics and respecting childhood!

You can search for Oak Meadow in this forum and will find quite a few "reviews" by me and some others! :)

Aisling
11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback, ladies..I'll check out the Oak Meadows :)

snugglemama-The website I found looked like their official website :shrug

Mamatoto
11-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Waldorf doesn't have an official website....different schools have different sites, different Waldorf teachers have sites, homeschooling materials have sites, etc.

Most Waldorf groups don't really consider Oak Meadow to be true Waldorf since it isn't called Waldorf--it is just known to embrace nature type philosophies from Waldorf. Live Ed is another one that most consider to be "true" Waldorf. If you are looking for Oak Meadow you can usually find some good deals on ebay...or even just one or two books to introduce you instead of buying the whole package right away.

Quietspirit
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Most Waldorf groups don't really consider Oak Meadow to be true Waldorf since it isn't called Waldorf--it is just known to embrace nature type philosophies from Waldorf

Exactly why I chose it ;) :tu :mrgreen

I chose Oak Meadow specifically because it:

*honored childhood
*hands-on activities are heavy throughout the grades, not just K-3
*natural activities are recommended
*curriculum is more standard but still has a Waldorf flavor
*the more "odd" spiritual practices/beliefs of Waldor are nowhere to be found in Oak Meadow (at least in the 5th grade curriculum)
*my son LOVES it :grin

Aisling
11-10-2005, 01:26 PM
ok, that makes sense...the site I visited was www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com . So Waldorf isn't Christian, per se. I'm less confused now :P~

Mamatoto
11-10-2005, 05:39 PM
ok, that makes sense...the site I visited was www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com . So Waldorf isn't Christian, per se. I'm less confused now razz2

Oh, okay. That site has a lot of good information, not too in depth, however. I like the raw recipes on there, though! :tu Right, Waldorf was based on the philosophies of Rudolph Steiner. If you want a good introduction, I recommend the two books "You are your child's first teacher" and "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge."

Exactly why I chose it wink thumbs up Mr. Green

Right, I think Oak Meadow is a more basic natural based curriculum without the anthroposophy, which you probably find in Live Ed. I may use it for first grade but I haven't decided yet. :think Then there is Christopherus...Enki... :shrug

mrsramjet
11-22-2005, 02:52 AM
http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/Waldorf.htm

here's an article i just found explaining how oak meadows came to be, and it's basic philosophy.

hth

Aisling
11-22-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/Waldorf.htm

here's an article i just found explaining how oak meadows came to be, and it's basic philosophy.

hth

thanks! :D

MotherOfGirls
11-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Hmmm
I am so on and off with Waldorf - currently we use a very rigid very christian iykwim curriculum, and I kind of know that's not what I want to do, but I keep getting lost when I try to change around :rolleyes2
8yodd has possible Aspergers and just loves workbooks and slots to fill in and predicatability, and I am at a loss as to how to move her on from there.
6yodd was very precocious (sp?) and just wanted to learn to read and write and so has done loads of formal learning and is only 6.5 - she's very bright and I can't see how I would have convinced her not to learn to read :shrug
Well, now I have got a year's curriculum for them, and I'm thinking, I would like to make it last two years, and make a gentle changeover to Waldorf methods - but I keep getting stuck and just not doing anything! It's nearly Christmas already and no changes made :eek
Don't know how to a) reclaim 6yodds lost years - ie get her back to natural play and such and b) where to go from here - what is Waldorf homeschool for 9/7yos?
Looking on http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/ but, tbh its such a complex site, I keep getting sidetracked :no
Any ideas?

Mamatoto
11-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Any ideas?

I think it is a process. You are really starting from the beginning so even reading books in Waldorf that are geared for younger kids is okay...you need to start revamping your way of thinking in order to introduce natural learning and natural play.

If you can get a hold of the book Waldorf Parenting by Lois Cusick it might be of help to you. You could also join my yahoo group for parents of natural learners and bring specific questions on Waldorf/natural learning there.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturalkiddos/

tree_hugger
11-26-2005, 10:19 PM
In addition to the resources already mentioned, I reccomend you check out:

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/survivors.html

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=285

http://www.awsna.org/renchristian.html

http://www.watchman.org/reltop/waldorfcontroversy.htm

Not trying to be argumentative - we love many aspects of Waldorf and plan to incorporate them into our homeschool - but I don't feel a balanced viewpoint has been provided in this thread as yet.

:)

SueQ
11-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Here is a link to a Christain Waldorf website (http://community-2.webtv.net/njelpert/CHRISTIANWALDORF/) that I came across when I was researching it in my quest to find out what my homeschooling style was. FWIW I decided that we are ecclectic homeschoolers. I have taken things that I like from Waldorf and CM and put together my own thing using FIAR and other helps. :lol

Mamatoto
11-27-2005, 10:48 AM
but I don't feel a balanced viewpoint has been provided in this thread as yet.

I believe the question in the original post was to provide our experiences with Waldorf, which is what we have done. If you have had a negative experience, please do share, but sharing links against Waldorf without personal experience is not really necesary to this thread. I also don't see credible things in some of those links.

MotherOfGirls
11-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, we are certainly eclectic too - but wanting to incorporate a little more Waldorf. I have read all the anti sites, but I really tend to make my mind up for myself. :)
I seem to remember a lot of the complaints were about the practice of steiner waldor techniques in schools, and as I have no intention of sending dds to school, they won't apply. As for rigidity (like not allowing to use black or something) I will be in charge around here :think :rolleyes well maybe :lol so I wouldn't be that rigid about anything. I have trouble sticking to the most basic of schedules :giggle so imagine me being too rigid!
I will never end up being wholly waldorf, but there are aspects I like - the artwork, natural play, the main lesson book ... so I think I will join snugglemama's group, I have joined a couple of others, and see what I can glean.
I also use some CM bits, and I found the best way through the woods with CM was to read the lady in the original, so I may do the same with Steiner. That way, you know when they're being misquoted.