PDA

View Full Version : More KONOS, unit study, etc.

allisonintx
11-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Ive been researching KONOS more, since this thread came up. I was putting off looking into it until next year. Well, since the restructuring that we're having to do, it really IS next year in many ways. This seems so much easier than what I've been using AFA teaching to the crowd I have. I'm thinking of keeping the Math, Language and Handwriting that I have for each of the children (which we really like) and stop trying to make the History and Science work out. What I got was just simply too high level. I love the books we got, but many of them will not be appropriate for quite some time.

So, KONOS users, speak up, please! How much prep work is involved for each unit? How do you like it? What is your personality, teachingwise? What types of learners are you using it with?

ShangriLewis
11-05-2005, 11:42 PM
So, KONOS users, speak up, please! How much prep work is involved for each unit? How do you like it? What is your personality, teachingwise? What types of learners are you using it with?

I think prep is as much as you want. I do very little prep. I just look at the unit and see what there is to do. I usually ask the boys what things they think look like fun. I still think of KONOS like a tool. You can take it as far and in depth as your kids can handle. I'm not sure what my personality is. I do know that I believe that young kids don't need to learn everything in depth. I believe they should get a touch of everything you can. When they are in High School I would like them to do a more "Classical" style. It just so happens that KONOS has that type of program for High School. Gibran is very intense, he likes facts and structure. Porter likes to play and isn't too good with memory. Escher is a little young, but he has participated in a lot of our activities.

I do love that we can do it all together and it's so flexible. People either do well with KONOS or they don't. I really think it's because they want a curriculum that they work for. It did take us a year to get KONOS to work for us. But, it's worth it.

They have a yahoogroup if you want to see more people using it. Plus, you should be able to find a co-op in your area to see how it works in other families.

http://www.konos.com/photo/gallery You can check out the photo gallery to see some of the projects families have done.