PDA

View Full Version : Babywearing for plus sized mamas

Aisling
11-03-2005, 03:45 PM
A lady in my area recently contacted me about babywearing..she's constructed a wrap and wants to know more about AP :tu She has an infant and a toddler, and wants to know what are some of the best carriers (homemade..she's on a budget) and carrying positions for a plus-sized mommy. I'm stumped :think She likes the cross-carry using the wrap, and wanted to know if she can do a forward-facing carry.

She's got a squirmer on her hands, so I thought I'd suggest a pouch and folding the fabric over her shoulder to prevent leaning.. A ring sling might work because it's so versatile and adjustable :shrug Any other suggestions? :scratch

DogwoodMama
11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm plus-sized and a ring sling always worked great for me, as well as my Cuddle n Carry... but my dd didn't like the front-facing carries, so I can't speak to that.

I think the principles of baby-wearing are the same for plus-sized mamas, but depending on where your weight is distributed you may need a longer tail on your sling, more fabric, etc. Just make sure that the fabric is distributed well, and she should be fine! I've never heard of a plus-size mom saying a position didn't work beause of her size. :think

I think it is possible to do a forward-facing carry in a wrap also... has she checked out the babywearers.com site for pics? :grin or mamatomama.org?

Aisling
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
She's been to the mamatoto.org site (where she found me :P~), but I'll direct her to the babywearers.com site :tu

thanks mama! :heart