PDA

View Full Version : Well...starting over

allisonintx
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
My business partner with whom I have homeschooled since August is putting her children in public school this week. This is because of an impending divorce and the necessity for her to take on an additional job to make ends meet, not because of dissatisfaction with the schooling (except by her stbxh.) Her kids are, naturally, upset by it. I watched her dd BEG her father not to make her go to PS. It was really heartbreaking. :hissyfit

Anyway, of course, this totally disrupts my entire schooling situation and I'm going to have to totally re-think how/what I'm doing :think

I had originally planned to do school by myself with my children, and then my partner joined me. I am praying to retrieve the vision that I had for schooling my own all by myself (of course I have God with me and I'm not alone...but you understand what I mean)

I am thinking about completely re-vamping things so that we have a fresh start. Can I just say how sad I am about a 'fresh start' only 12weeks into school?? :hissyfit

MarynMunchkins
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM
:hugheart

DogwoodMama
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM

Why don't you take a "fall break" to get your thoughts and plans together, and then just proceed from there? So view it is a short break, not starting over?

lumpofclay
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Maybe you could spend November with a focus on gratitude and giving and December with a focus on Advent/Christmas/Christ, and officially "start over" in January.

I'm sorry this is happening.

Mama Calidad
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
That stinks. :sad2 :hugheart

Gretchen
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
:hug2 :pray

I think the idea of a break to regroup is a great one.

Gretchen

ShangriLewis
11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I think a gratitude type of study would be a good thing for you children. It's probably hard for them to see what's going on and wondering about their own stability.

Reva
11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
That *does* stink. :( I like the idea of a "fall break".

How sad that she begged her dad to not make her go to ps. :( I pray it's at the least a smooth transition into ps. :bheart

allisonintx
11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, we're having a fall break, planned or not. Having all the children at the office at the same time with three of them knowing they are not schooling there any longer as of next Monday is proving impossible...sigh. I tried on Monday to have 'school' and gave up. I didn't even go in on Tue or Wed because I didn't want to deal with it...to clarify, we 'do school' in my office.

I am going to have to do something new and I'll figure that all out this week-end hopefully. I hate having to come up with something 'on the fly' like this, but the children are resilient and God is sovereign, so I'm sure it will work out...now if He would just SHOW ME THE PLAN, already!!! ;)

righteous mama
11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

I had planned to team teach with my best friend and she moved away. My sister and I team teach Spanish and she's flaking on me. It's frustrating when things don't go as planned.

We've been enjoying Oak Meadow, but this first section is too easy for dd...so, I'm having to replace this first part with something different in order to prepare her for section two. It's hard to have to adjust curriculum when you're already on a path.

I'd team teach with you...but I suppose we're too far away. I'd love to have a buddy to work with. :hug

I'll be praying for you through this transition. :pray

cobluegirl
11-03-2005, 07:51 PM
(((HUGS)))

Roma
11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I hope all works out. :heart

This Busy Mom
11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
but the children are resilient and God is sovereign, so I'm sure it will work out...now if He would just SHOW ME THE PLAN, already!!

That's the tough part, no doubt ;) .

AttachedMamma
11-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Found your post in a search and wondering how you are doing. :hug2 I pray that God is working out this change for the good (Romans 8:28!) and you will be filled with new inspiration in this home schooling year. :)

BTW, we're thinking about giving Oak Meadow a go, starting next fall (DD just turned 5 and we're doing our own thing).

cindi

allisonintx
11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Of course He's working a change for the good :cheesy We've been doing unit studies off of Enchantedlearning.com WHAT FUN! How did I overlook this concept when I was first looking at homeschooling??? The only child I really have had to work to make it work for is the oldest, and that's just because the activities only go to Grade3 and she needs harder stuff. It's being so wonderful.

ShangriLewis
11-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Of course He's working a change for the good :cheesy We've been doing unit studies off of Enchantedlearning.com WHAT FUN! How did I overlook this concept when I was first looking at homeschooling??? The only child I really have had to work to make it work for is the oldest, and that's just because the activities only go to Grade3 and she needs harder stuff. It's being so wonderful.

It sounds like you are having lots of fun. So, what are you guys learning about? It's amazing what you can pack into a Unit Study.

allisonintx
11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
This week is Ice Cream.

The children had a field trip to a local ice cream parlor yesterday arranged through a local homeschool support network. They made the ice cream and got to eat some other kinds. We have to go back today to pick up the kind they made because it has to set up for 5 hours.

So, we have ice cream matching, math, writing.....you name it, oh yes, don't forget Ice Cream and Your Health! Gotta get a plug in for broccoli.