PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here homeschool in North Carolina? How bout W Virginia?

ServantofGod
10-31-2005, 08:19 AM
I live in Maryland right now and I think out homeschooling laws are pretty relaxed. We would like to consider moving further south, but it seems like NC and WV are pretty tight. These are the two places we would be interested in otherwise.

Singingmom
10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
We're in NC, and it's not really that tight in practice. We are required to send an intent to hs form to the dept. of non public ed., keep daily lesson plans (no requirements as to how this is done), keep a record of attendance, school regularly (again, no specifics), and to expect a visit from someone in the dept of npe once a yr (with 5 days notice). We haven't had the visit yet - that's new to me and it does make me a little nervous, but the other requirements are no big deal.

SandKsmama
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm in NC also, and just wanted to say that I've lived here all my life (almost 28 years:-) and as far as I know in the 20 years since homeschooling was "legalized" here, no one has ever been visited by the state.

Yes, you are supposed to keep attendance, but I've NEVER heard of anyone checking; and yes, you are supposed to test every year, but again, no one ever checks, and turning in test results to the state is *completely* voluntary.

NC is very hands-off in practice - even if the laws seem more stringent. And we have a HUGE HS convention/book fair every May!!! :-)

There are many, many homeschoolers here, and tons of support.

hth!
Amanda

Singingmom
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm intrigued about no one getting a visit. Do they just tell us that to keep us on our toes (for a few years til we figure it out)? It's not the state, but the dept of non public ed that says they're coming.

And, yes, I forgot we're required to test annually. I pictured the visit being a check up of things like tests, attendance records, and plans. No? :scratch

ServantofGod
11-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Oh, that is great news! Testing is one thing I am strongly against, at least for elementary age children. And attendance records - that's one thing I always thought was pretty :scratch...My kids are in "attendance" every day.

I'm so happy to hear that my favorite state is not as hard as it seems.

BlessingsX4
11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
We just started and have found it isn't too strict. Attendance for me is writing school day on the calendar which I hope is enough :shrug
Lesson plan I have what subjects we will do each day and spelling test on friday. Do I need more then that?

Singingmom
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
We just started and have found it isn't too strict. Attendance for me is writing school day on the calendar which I hope is enough :shrug
Lesson plan I have what subjects we will do each day and spelling test on friday. Do I need more then that?

Are you in NC? After you send in your intent to hs form, they send you an attendance form where you just check off the days.

BlessingsX4
11-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Yes I am in NC. I haven't sent my letter of intent yet because I am waiting on my transcripts. Can't find my diploma and unfortunately I just found out the county I went to school in lost my transcripts :hissyfit so they are sending a letter stating I graduated from there and contact info for them.

SandKsmama
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm intrigued about no one getting a visit. Do they just tell us that to keep us on our toes (for a few years til we figure it out)? It's not the state, but the dept of non public ed that says they're coming

I dunno - Homeschooling has been legal here since 1985, so 20 years. I know every fall the Dept. of non-public ed. sends out cards "requesting" folks to send in their test results. But, the deal is, as I understand it, they CAN'T make anyone do it, that's why they're requesting folks to do it voluntarily. The law only says folks have to test, NOT that they have to provide test results to the state. Crazy, huh? All in all, I think the Dept. maintains a pretty hands off approach - I think they have like 1 or 2 employees to handle all the home schools in the state, so just in terms of time, the visits ain't gonna happen, KWIM? :-)

I'm sure there are some folks who don't test at all - there are also folks who give a test at home and call it done. We will test this year, really just for my dh's satisfaction, *and* b/c dd may end up back at private school next year, but those test results will be for our knowledge only.

Amanda