PDA

View Full Version : DD is writing her name!

AttachedMamma
10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
She turned 5 two wks ago. She was not interested in writing previously. I was a little nervous about it, knowing that others her age were "ahead of her" in that regard. But, I trusted my instincts and let it go...feeling that I would turn her off if I pushed. And, out of the blue she's interested in doing letters non-stop. (I guess there's always the possibility that she's seeing the other kids writing at Sunday school.) When we brought her to Sunday school today, she insisted on writing her name on her name tag. On our weekly calendar, she wanted to write "Crafts" on the day we were planning to do a lot of crafts. I spelled it out to her and she wrote it beautifully. She's sounding out letters. And we have not been doing any kind of sit-down, drill-type work at all. :) Now she wants to pull the workbooks off the shelf and practice her letters. :jump

I completely believed in the idea of letting her lead the way as a baby/tot...not pushing her to walk/toilet train/wean, etc. She did it all in her own time. I've wondered if this same idea would work w/homeschooling. I figure part of my job as a HS mom is to instill in her a love of learning, give her exposure to the things she needs to learn, model these things for her and give her the tools she needs.

Will a lot of things work like this? Will it just one day all click and *bam* she takes off with reading? I remember long division was that way for me. I was having a mental block and then one day it was like a lightbulb went off in me and I enjoyed long division! :lol

This is so exciting! :)

cindi

MagnoliaMommy
10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Yay! :jump2

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I have a similar philosophy as you. It is more important to me that ds loves learning than if he is doing xyz exactly when "the experts" say he should. :)

DogwoodMama
10-31-2005, 01:39 PM
That's so exciting! :grin

I still remember learning to write my name around that age... I think I wrote it "Beht" when I was 4 yo, and finally got that it was "Beth" by age 5. :giggle (my family calls me Beth! ;) except for dh)

booboo
10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Congratulations! :)

You inspire me on the child-lead homeschooling. I think I will try it with my 5 yo. Don't be too pushy and pray it just comes. It's so hard teaching her. Thank you for the lesson!!

Keep up the good work! :tu

Mama Calidad
11-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Cool! :peace