PDA

View Full Version : Well.....he died this morning.

AKCristyMJ
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Ok no biggie....but I'm an animal freak so bare with me lol.

Our Angel Fish died this morning. :/

The thing had been atleast in my dh's care for atleast 5yrs!!
What is that, like 100 in fish years? lol

I mean it had endured too small tanks, too dirty tanks, weeks where he forgot to feed it or we were on vacation, months where the light was broke.....etc.
It outlived 2 other Angel fish, 2 catfish, 100 snails, and ate quite a few others.

We called it "Bully" cuz it bulied everyone in the tank.
It was a rare shiny yellow Angel fish which meant if you put a fish in that was shiny or colorfull it'd eat it/attack it.
But it bullied any thing around. Even the ugly catfish.

Well....it began floating near the top last night and turning duller and pinkish.
Gosh we were like "OH no it's dying what do we do!!"
I mean we threw food in, poured more water in, tried to clean the water with him in it, *sigh* we tried everything.
He'd flip over for a bit but then start floating belly up again with only one fin twitching.
Ugh.
And sure enough by this morning.....he was dead.
We're hoping it was from old age.
We had just bought a new catfish from the pet store last week and was hopin that fish didn't kill off our so durable Angel Fish with some virus or somethin.
All the other fish are fine tho.

Well the Smestad fish tank won't be the same without him. :cry

Any suggestions on fish we can buy and throw in there with one catfish, and 4 other breeds of catfish-all small mind you-and snails???
The tank just seems empty w/out that big shiny thing swimming around nippin at everyone lol.

milkmommy
10-29-2005, 01:42 PM
:hugheart Loved ones come in all sizes, doesn't change how we care.

Deanna

boonpnutsmom
10-29-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm so sorry Bully died. I have way to tender a heart for any type of animal. We have had all the condtions you are talking about with our turtles and fish, even just last night I made DH clean the turtle tank because the filter had stopped and in ONE day I couldn't even see anybody. :hug

SouthPaw
10-29-2005, 11:38 PM
:hug Poor guy. I had an angel fishy that I loved too, one day I couldn't see him & I was asking DH, "where is he??" DH jokingly said "oh he's dead"... and just then I spied the little guy floating :cry Needless to say DH felt really bad after that. I know they can live 10+ years, I think mine died because he overheated... our air conditioner had gone out a few days before and I think it stressed him too much. Maybe yours did catch some sort of fishy disease. That's really sad. I never could bring myself to buy another angel fish b/c I loved Angelfishy too much (creative name right). But I did end up getting a clown loach that is my friend. How big is your tank again? I might have some ideas for another little friend, just want to make sure he can fit in there. :) :hug

Sanveann
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm so sorry! I cried and cried when our betta died.

The folks here should be able to give you some good advice on compatible fish: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/index.php

Countrymama
10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
:hug2 Oh I am sorry to hear that....animal companions come in all shapes, sizes, species, etc.....it's hard to lose one no matter what! :sad2

Radosny Matka
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
:( :hugheart

AKCristyMJ
10-30-2005, 11:05 PM
One of our other fish now has this crystal-ing type coating on their scales.......I'm worried.
What is that??
Could our new catfish be making them sick?? :shrug

SouthPaw
10-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Is it white? Could be ich... Does it look like tiny grains of salt or something? Around the gills? I dunno what kind of pet stores you have up there... but you could treat with Malachite green. if you can't find that, copper sulfate will do. Another option is to *slowly* increase the temperature of your tank by a few degrees to speed up the parasite's life cycle and allow your fish to fight them off. Is there any way you can quarantine that fish?? :hugheart Poor fishies!

AKCristyMJ
10-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh no!!!

Yeah that sound like it, one fish is covered with it!

Oh no!

Dh bought the catfish at our new huge Pet Palace I think it's called.
Ugh.
Come to think of it...he has white on him too.
Ugh.
Well I will try to tell dh to get the stuff.
I noticed today the fish didn't eat at all.......oh man!

Dh hates these fish tho...knowing him he'll be like,"Good, in a few weeks they'll all be dead and we can be fish free finnaly!" :rolleyes

I wonder if snails help.
Gosh the cleanest tank we ever had and happiest the fish were was when we had loadsa little snails, they kept breeding and got up to maybe 50-100 and then *poof* within a week all died.
Algae returned like mad right afterwards.
So we began getting catfish.

*sigh* :sad2

SouthPaw
10-30-2005, 11:51 PM
If they sold you a fish with ich I would be angry. Was the new catfish the first one you saw it on? Grrr that would make me soooo mad.

Here is some more info...

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich.php

Aisling
10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
:hugheart