PDA

View Full Version : I hate to ask what I bet has been asked many times before....

AKCristyMJ
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
.....but what sling do you recommend and why??

I have always just used the store bought kind.
I like that they seem super safe with super thick fabric.......do you know what kind I mean? It has a plastic ring and such. Dunno any name brands.

I figured I'd stick with those kinds but should ask here first.

I'd like a sling that
1)Is super safe, baby won't sqiurm/slip out, the knot won't come undone etc
2)I'd have my hands free and baby covered in it-for warmth in my state.
3)I'd only have my babes in it till they are bout 4mos old or less. So mostly a good-can't hold head up-sling that is tight and womb like.
4)Won't hurt my back and shoulder for once!
5)AND I can nurse in it with my huge boobs finnaly!

Anyone got ideas???

There is sucha huge variety out there now.
I remember when in '99 I was pregnant with Lid and lookin everywhere for a sling. Finnaly found one in this sucsess for breastfeeding box kit thingy. The sling was so flimsy, a real thin cotton and tiny straps that just dug into my shoulder so bad! Poor Lid not only would get so cold in it but I couldn;t get it snug enough so she'd get quite jostled in it if I walked.

Now tho lol I dunno WHAT to get!!
:shrug :scratch

milkmommy
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
sign okay I'll answer again :rolleyes ... J/K ;) :lol Personally I differ from many others I love my padded ring sling especially for the newborn stage I have a heat to heart and I used it for the first time when DD was 3 months and still use it a three years. I like the ring slings because you can adjust them so well and umm the rails helped me breastfeed :giggle (yet gotta em huge breast myself)
I also really like my pouch sling (hot sling) but I really need the padded shoulders at least for an older child. I like thats is so easy to use and can fit perfectly in a diaper bag to have on hand always, I haven't used one on a newborn though.

Deanna

crochetmama
10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
I too love ring slings! My maya is one of my favorites! It's adjustable, has a tail so you can cover and nurse (although I never figured out how to do this, am planning on perservering w/this baby). :)

Hugs,
tammy

AKCristyMJ
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah I think I might get a Maya this time.
I like the thick warm fabric.

Got any links and the one you reccommend or have??

Thanx!!

crochetmama
10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
:O Well, I'm looking at selling them (haven't yet placed my order, but am planning to once I get paid on Friday), so if you're interested.... ;) If not, I know there are mama's here who already have their business up and running who'd be happy to sell you one. :) :) Here's the link to the Maya website:

www.mayawrap.com

Hugs,
tammy

lace421
10-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Ring sling definately! You can buy them in fleece if you want it warmer...

Embracing Grace
10-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Just want to say that the Maya sling is the BEST, (in my experience...)! :tu

nutmeggmama
10-26-2005, 06:56 AM
i have a maya, and i love it. it is not thick though, just fyi. mine is almost gauzy. your body heat should help in the warmth dept. i have an over the shoulder baby holder, and its great for newborns, but i dont like it now. it doesnt adjust easily. i have a new native pouch, and its great for the toddler "i wanna be up, i wanna be down" stages. it was all we used with noah as a newborn, but i prefer to have the adjustability and the padding with a tiny baby. but, i also made a fleece pouch for jonas since he was born in the winter. i really liked it. this is us on our first outing to red robin, lol :rolleyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Nutmeggmama/Mix1015.jpg

i always took him out to nurse though. i found it very warm and comfy, but not easily accessible for nursing. i used it as a cover up when i felt the need. and it was a warm blankie in his car seat.

AKCristyMJ
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Ohhhh nooo...gauzy?? :nails

No trust me in my state my body isn't warmth enough.

I remember slinging with Lidia when we went shopping and then you leave the store and I'm trying to seal my coat around the poor girl from the cold and just the short walk to the car her whole side that was not against me would be so cold as would be her hands and feet......this being even WITH a blanket I'd swaddle her in before slinging her and also have hat, mittens and booties on!!

Alaska is just brutal on babies.

The Natives here did it right.
They'd wear babies on a sorta backpack right behind their shoulders.
Inside the pack was seal fur, seal fur is hands down the warmest insulating fur around, and then mamas fur coat would sorta cover the whole pack.
WEll that and they are way used to the cold.

nutmeggmama
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
i live in alaska, too ;)

but, i usually brought my carseat in anywhere so it stayed warm and transferred the baby inside. i think the cold makes them tougher :giggle i keep my kids in capilene or mts or other kinds of synthetic long undies from rei to keep them warm. and i would tuck a fleece blanket over them, with my body behind them, i think they always stayed warm enough. if im out for a long walk, i keep them in a full snowsuit or whatever. i also wore my husbands coat so it would zip overtop the sling.

crochetmama
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I wish I lived back in Alaska....but my Maya wrap isn't gauzy by my opinion. It's a bit warm in the summer (dark color and all). But I'd suggest Elizabeth Lee pattern that has a zip in liner for baby or maybe a mama/baby poncho would help.

Hugs,
tammy

nutmeggmama
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
its obviously not thin cotton, but i can see lots of light through it. its not a tight weave. i wouldnt consider it a warm sling, when you could get a fleece one. my maya is black, so yeah, in the summer i swelter. :phew
cotton is just not good for cold, imo. when are you due cristy? i cant see your ticker atm.

Dizzy Blond
10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I have a mei tai that I love:

http://www.attachedtot.com/

The one that I have is called an "Angel Pack".

AKCristyMJ
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Thankfully I'm due in mid April. :phew
So I may not run into the cold issue quite as bad.

Lidia came in August and Beth in Jan.

It was awfull. Ugh.

I told Kev we HAD to have a Spring or Summer baby this time!!!

arwen
10-29-2005, 07:16 AM
the only slings i could nurse in was my sling and a wrap....
i've tried other ring slings and never could do it at all....

now, my son is over 2 years old and still nurses in the Cuddle N Carry and still naps. :)

MamaKanga
11-04-2005, 09:30 PM
A Moby Wrap would work. You can nurse it in and you can wrap baby and then put your own coat on over baby. Your maternity coat would work perfectly, since wearing baby in the moby is just like being pg again. ;-)

BornFreeBaby
11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I would go for a fleece pouch that you can wear your coat over when outside.

check out hotslings.com for the fleece.

zolowear.com has some hip ones too, but don't know if they would be warm enough..

AKCristyMJ
11-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Well I shouldn't bug ya all with the warm aspect, this baby comes mid April so we should be ok.

I already own a padded cotton ring sling I got at some Mother store in our mall.
So that should be fine.

Sadly nursing in it still mystifies me, would love to learn how this time. :/

BornFreeBaby
11-08-2005, 11:29 AM
If you get a maya wrap, it comes with a video or dvd with exact instructions. It shows the lady nursing her baby in the maya, and I think it even shows one lady wearing twins and nursing!

but to me, the maya wrap is a very thin material and not good for cold climates. (They are made in guatamala, I think?)