PDA

View Full Version : when did you stop using your sling/carrier?

Kaz
10-21-2005, 05:54 AM
I prett much stopped using the sling and the back carrier for dd at about 13 mths/ 2 stone. I still carry her in my arms a fair bit around the house and if we're out and if she gets tired of being in the stroller. I occasionally use the sling to keep her there while nursing and on the computer, but the regular baby-wearing thing has gone. She's just too heavy and active these days so I don't see the point. What about you?

inesperada
10-21-2005, 05:55 AM
We use the sling or the ERGO when we're out. Not all the time, but at least a couple times/month. He's 22 months old.

kris10s
10-21-2005, 06:20 AM
DD is 15.5 months and VERY active. I still wear her in the pouch a LOT (even though I am 30 weeks pregnant) and in the Ergo when it's not a quick trip (for walks, major clothes shopping, etc.).

nutmeggmama
10-21-2005, 06:22 AM
umm, i guess i still havent stopped using it, and my oldest is almost 5. but, i use it to make him feel good very infrequently. he thinks it is a silly game. Selah still gets in and shes 39 pounds. and, of course jonas is it when we need it. we have a stroller, and we just use whatever the kids seem to need at the time.
it sounds to me that you *are* still using it! ;) it is understandable that as your child grows up and gets more independant (and heavier) that the use would cut down way more. i think it sounds like a natural progression. especially since your baby can walk, that option is now availible.

BeckaBlue
10-21-2005, 06:28 AM
ds is 26mts and now he doesnt go in often at home, but when we're out he mostly still does

Kaz
10-21-2005, 06:40 AM
it sounds to me that you *are* still using it! ;)

:giggle well, I guess it did sound a bit contradictory. But really, I'm rarely using it at all. Guess I was wondering what is common amongst other AP mamas. I've been a little suprised lately to realise how many Mamas on the board baby-wear with older babes. I wondered if I'd dropped using it too soon...but then dd seems happy enough.

Its also tricky to guage what is 'normal' when every mother I know IRL has kept their dc at arm's length in prams, cots etc from day one and thinks its odd I carry her even as much as I do.

I guess, as with everything its different for everyone. :)

Roses
10-21-2005, 07:34 AM
With my older ds, I stopped wearing him when he was 11 mos old (shortly after he started walking-he didn't want to be in the sling at all, and it was a NoJo sling, it was awful). Little ds will be 2.5 years old soon, and I wear him lately, maybe 2x a week in the Mei Hip carrier.

DogwoodMama
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
We still use our sling a lot, dd is 23 months old. She's quite attached to it, and frequently says "Sling me! sling me!" I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon, even though I'm pregnant. I find it really hard to carry her around without using the sling, honestly.

Joesmomma
11-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I stopped with my son at 9 months for the sling, and started a s utemi at 15 months, and have used it on him even now when he and I are out together, I will use it, he loves being up with me, and the sutemi works best for longer hauls and the sling we use around the house for cuddles. He is 31 months and weighs 32 pounds. We don't use a stroller or didn't with him, I have used it with my dd once for a walk.
Therese

mom2jolakeil
11-09-2005, 12:38 PM
I still sling my 3.5y/o occassionally. She's 35lbs and it's not for long periods of time anymore!

MagnoliaMommy
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I stopped when dd was 9 months and walking. She just didn't like it anymore. ;)

Mama Calidad
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
We've cut back gradually as the kids become more independent. I put DD in the rebozo the other night, but I wasn't attached to it. She was using it as a gigantic playsilk (playcotton :shifty). :giggle DH slings DS still to put him to sleep at naptime. The last time I slung DS was to make a how-to picture guide. He wasn't thrilled with the idea. He wanted to go jump on the bed. :laughtears

BornFreeBaby
11-10-2005, 01:23 AM
I started ap'ing late, so I began to sling dd at 12 months, and I still sling her now and she's going to be 2 this month! But its getting harder to carry her with my preggo tummy poking out. So I end up using the stroller a lot more lately. She will still bring me the sling, saying "sing, sing!" :mrgreen