PDA

View Full Version : asking way in advance about EC

Heather Micaela
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
when we have the next baby I would like to try pratial EC

I have realized there is no way on earth we can do cd w/o our own washer but I am sick of sposies and am intrigued by ec.

So knowing dh will not bother with such a commitment, is it possible to do ec on my "watch" and use diapers when only dh is home, on the go, and at night?

Anyone do this w/ success

Irene
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
absolutely!!! :tu you can do EC part time if you wanted to! :) then you can also keep watch and just change the baby whenever he/she wets so they arent sitting in it :) you might even impress your dh when you catch pees ;)

Aisling
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
absolutely!!! :tu you can do EC part time if you wanted to! :) then you can also keep watch and just change the baby whenever he/she wets so they arent sitting in it :) you might even impress your dh when you catch pees ;)

ITA! It's also possible that after you dh sees you catching pees, and eventually baby communicating a need to "go", he'll even be excited to try it ;) :tu

Heather Micaela
10-17-2005, 04:37 PM
well dh is fine with my emerging crunchiness but I don't know if he'd ever participate or just cheer me on. :giggle He is fine with the CD idea when it is doable

Irene
10-17-2005, 04:50 PM
you never know!!! :lol

When I got the book in the mail my Dh about FLIPPED and made all sorts of comments about what is happening to my wife and next thing he knows he will come home and I will be smoking a houka pipe and on and on he was going :lol

now hes Mr Spread the EC Word!!! :laughtears even when I was still a little shy about telling others! :O

Aisling
10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
ditto what Irene said :D

Heather Micaela
10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
When I got the book in the mail my Dh about FLIPPED and made all sorts of comments about what is happening to my wife and next thing he knows he will come home and I will be smoking a houka pipe and on and on he was going :lol

ROFLOL :laughtears

Somtimes I think those thoughts go through dhs head too. He always asks - is that what they say on that board?

milkmommy
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
LOL I was actually thinking of a few EC questions my self :giggle ans one was can one EC at home but use a diaper say when out or is that too confusing?
Also what are some "signs" babies give for you to catch.. I remember always knowing as a newborn she got these looks and of course the red face with bowel movments, but once that phase stopped :scratch :shrug I've been trying to find some sgn any sign and for the life of me I can't :giggle
Oha and (does this sound dumb) can you EC and still use diapers ?

Deanna

Aisling
10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
LOL I was actually thinking of a few EC questions my self :giggle ans one was can one EC at home but use a diaper say when out or is that too confusing?
Also what are some "signs" babies give for you to catch.. I remember always knowing as a newborn she got these looks and of course the red face with bowel movments, but once that phase stopped :scratch :shrug I've been trying to find some sgn any sign and for the life of me I can't :giggle

Deanna

Once I let dd go bare-bottom for a couple of days, I noticed that she gets a very serious look on her face and grunts whenever she's about to tinkle...but then, every baby's different! The thing that worked the best for us was me spending a couple of days almost completely one-on-one with her. Every time she tinkled, I would sign "potty" to her, take her to the potty, and say, "Pee-pees go in the potty, hooray!! :kiss :mrgreen". After a week, she started noticing when she "went" and made the "potty" sign while she was going. Two weeks later, she started making the sign before she tinkled! :jump2

I put dd in dipes while in the car, at church (lol, there's no way I'm going to convince those ladies to "pee" her), and when she's asleep..it doesn't seem to cause too much confusion, and lately, dd's even stayed pretty dry and holding her pees in the car :jawdrop

waterbaby
10-17-2005, 05:16 PM

absolutely! you can use them some of the time, all of the time, or not at all! EC can be modified to fit YOUR needs AND your baby's needs. whatever works best for you guys.

milkmommy
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Once I let dd go bare-bottom for a couple of days, I noticed that she gets a very serious look on her face and grunts whenever she's about to tinkle...but then, every baby's different! The thing that worked the best for us was me spending a couple of days almost completely one-on-one with her. Every time she tinkled, I would sign "potty" to her, take her to the potty, and say, "Pee-pees go in the potty, hooray!! kiss Mr. Green". After a week, she started noticing when she "went" and made the "potty" sign while she was going. Two weeks later, she started making the sign before she tinkled!

Well I let mine go nakie quite a lot (drives DH batty :giggle) but I swear she gives no indication she runs around and pees :rolleyes :lol awithout stopping to care and shes always been perfectly happy peeing on her self :rolleyes :shifty.. I've never done a potty sign with her but we've done the Pee-pees go in the potty thing non stop for literly months :shifty I'm :phew shes even gone in the potty ans like nothing.. no regonization shes even walkes off of her potty still ummm well not quite done yet :blush :lol When she was younger I changed her as soon as she wet 20 or more ties a day if needed I hoped as she got older it would make her more aware, unfortunally I haven't seen any sign that tells us shes at all aware.
:shrug I think I just have a weird child :giggle :hiding
Deanna

milkmommy
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM

absolutely! you can use them some of the time, all of the time, or not at all! EC can be modified to fit YOUR needs AND your baby's needs. whatever works best for you guys.

Thats good to know, I know it sounds really dumb and this is a personal weirdness I have with EC but it relaxes me knowing its okay to have some back up. Its not that I can't handle accidents but I feel more rrelaxed for my child like they're so forced to succeed. :shifty Dumb?

Deanna

Aisling
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM

Thats good to know, I know it sounds really dumb and this is a personal weirdness I have with EC but it relaxes me knowing its okay to have some back up. Its not that I can't handle accidents but I feel more rrelaxed for my child like they're so forced to succeed. :shifty Dumb?

Deanna

:hug Not dumb at all! I feel the same way :)

Well I let mine go nakie quite a lot (drives DH batty :giggle) but I swear she gives no indication she runs around and pees :rolleyes :lol awithout stopping to care and shes always been perfectly happy peeing on her self :rolleyes :shifty.. I've never done a potty sign with her but OMGoodness we've done the Pee-pees go in the potty thing non stop for literly months :shifty I'm :phew shes even gone in the potty ans like nothing.. no regonization shes even walkes off of her potty still ummm well not quite done yet :blush :lol When she was younger I changed her as soon as she wet 20 or more ties a day if needed I hoped as she got older it would make her more aware, unfortunally I haven't seen any sign that tells us shes at all aware.
:shrug I think I just have a weird child :giggle :hiding
Deanna

I think EC (or eventually potty training) is just plain easier for some children than others. Sounds like you have a lively energetic little gal on your hands who'd rather be enjoying the day than fiddling with a potty! :jump My little bro was the same way! DD, on the other hand, is a intensely focused child who notices everything. This is good when she observes that she'd rather not be stuck in a puddle of tinkle, but bad when I'm trying to distract her from a cookie she wanrs ;) :shifty Everything has it's pros and cons!

Let me know if you figure out what works for your dd! Dh and I plan to have several children, and and with dh's energy level, I'm bound to have one with his personality type :lol

milkmommy
10-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you have a lively energetic little gal on your hands who'd rather be enjoying the day than fiddling with a potty!
:giggle I tease DH shes like those gamblers that would rather use a diaper than dare leave the table and risk losing. Like where is the fun in that? :shifty :laughtears

Deanna

GodChick
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
possible to do ec on my "watch" and use diapers when only dh is home, on the go, and at night?

sure. and it helps us to use a cloth fdipe with no cover, so you (or dh) can still notice and respond promptly when she wets, but not have a puddle.

Myrtle
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I started ec when dd was about 2 or 3 months old, and I really liked it b/c I'd study her cues and felt like we were really communicating. Every time we caught a pee or poo was so cool, and when we didn't, I got to talk to her about it (how it's ok, and Mommy didn't mind, and stuff like that which actually helped me relax a lot). I felt more connected with her after we started.

Then the holidays hit, and we weren't home as much, and it was cold, so I just didn't try as much in the winter. When she got older, the cues were way harder, and we were busier, and I just didn't do it so much. But I did keep taking her to pee when she woke up in the morning, and every once in awhile during the day, just to keep it in her mind. She knew what the potty was for, and I didn't want her to forget, but it wasn't a big part of the day. Now that we're potty training at 15 months, I'm glad I kept it up minimally b/c I think it's helped her catch on more quickly.

I say all that to say this...it's totally doable part-time. I think the main thing is communicating with your little one and responding to his/her needs. Sometimes, the best way to do that is to put a diaper on that bottom and go on. Sometimes it's taking her to the potty. The thing I like about ec is that it's so adaptable to your lifestyle. There's not really a right way and a wrong way. (And I'm usually very perfectionistic, so it was hard for me to get my mind around that.) But if you decide to give it a try and don't want to do it later on, that's ok. It's worth trying though, and I think it helps the little ones keep in contact with their bodies. Usually babies are aware that they're eliminating, and if we don't train them to ignore that, I think it makes potty training later on a lot easier.

Irene
10-17-2005, 08:16 PM
well, my ds is certainly not barebummed all the time ;) like when he goes to my moms or church or whatever. And I always put something on him when we went out just because if i did miss, I didnt want to change his clothes and clean the carseat and all that ;) I will probably be more extreme with the lack of diapers next time :shifty but I think I was just way too nervous starting out ;) we always brought the potty though, because he would get really fussy and wouldnt go in his diaper (even though, yes, sometimes i was thinking "just go in your diaper!" :blush

Deanna, my dd was the exact same way... she could have pee going down her leg and not even notice it till she was standing in a puddle. :/ it all changed when we took out dairy, she potty trained herself within a week :shifty