PDA

View Full Version : how many toys??

Aerynne
10-12-2005, 08:09 AM
We have a basic "less is more" philosophy with toys. This is what our dd (18 months) has out to play with any time:

about 14 board books
5 stuffed animals
a set of farm animals with a barn
a few balls
a wooden abacus
a set of wooden blocks that can be assembled to tell Bible stories
a wooden puzzle of a kitchen with hinged fridge, cabinets, and oven and a few pieces to pull out and put back
a small wooden firetruck (2 1/2 inches long)

Additionally, we have a big set of wooden blocks that we'll get out whenever she asks for them or if she seems bored. Then there is a basket of toys I get out for her when I shower. That consists of stacking rings on a peg, some stacking plastic cups, a doll, a bell, some toy sea animals, a music box, a stuffed clown, and probably a few other things. She gets this basket about 10 minutes a day so I can shower in peace (works miraculously!)

So is my dd deprived? Is there anything else cool she should have that I'm missing? We also play at the park, blow bubbles, color with supervision, and I let her help me cook and clean. We don't watch any tv.

What toys do your kids have out and how old are they? I'd love to make this a poll but I can't figure out how to do that, but I'd love responses to this question.

What do/did your kids have at 18 months that they loved? Also looking for Christmas ideas.

Mother of Sons
10-12-2005, 08:14 AM
That sounds like tons to me. I don't think she is deprived.

My older kids have lots more toys. Things like legos, knex, blocks, trains. Stuff like that. We don't have many toddler age toys. They all fit in one small bin.

boonpnutsmom
10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
My kids have way too many toys...happens when grandparents think love can be bought with toys. At 18 mos, what you posted is a great selection. The only thing I would add would be...some big wooden beads. My 8yr old still plays with these, as does my 5yr old and my almost 3yr old.

Singingmom
10-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I think it sounds good, too. :tu Having a smallish selection of quality toys is so much better than heaps of toys. My dd is 21 mo, and she has started enjoying wooden puzzles, the kind with the complete pictures of pets, vehicles, etc. Also the simple foam puzzles by Laurie. I might add a few more of those for Christmas so she can have some variety in puzzles.

Aerynne
10-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I was thinking of wooden puzzles for Christmas. Wooden beads are a good idea, too. Thanks. And glad to know she's not deprived!

MomTo7
10-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Sounds like alot to me.

My 24 month old has a box of dress-up stuff (beads, hats, shoes, fairy wings and such), wooden blocks, Noah's Ark and animals, 3 dolls, 15 books and of course Lucy Bear. She has more in a big plastic bin in the basement (overstock from grandparents). Every now and then when she has become bored with a toy, I will give it to goodwill or put it in the bin and pull out a new one.

All 3 of my boys share a small closet of toys... Lego's, Building blocks, radio control cars, air hockey table, many board games, electronic dart board, and books and a few rescue hero's and their vehicles. I agree less is more. We give boxes of toys to goodwill at least 3 times a year.

I think your little one has plenty...after all mom is always there to be a big toy right! :)

jluvts
10-18-2005, 08:04 AM
My son has way too many toys. We were just talking about downsizing the other day. He has 2 carts full, 2 cabinets full, 2 shelves full, and a laundry basket full, plus big toys that sit on top of things, and about 3 boxes of toys we've already sorted out to give away. And thats just our house. He has an entire corner devoted to him there! Its our first, and dh and I both went without as kids, so we just buy him tons of stuff. So do my parents (we were poor then, but they are fine now). We're definitely adopting the "less is more" concept now.