PDA

View Full Version : ratty tangles in hair?

greenemama
10-12-2005, 06:47 AM
not sure where to put this since henry (3) isn't exactly a beautiful mother . . . :grin

he has the most glorious head of hair

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/molliegreene/DSC03687.jpg

and we don't plan on cutting it for a long while. but he has two terrible little flat dreads around the crown (not exactly a good spot for clipping them out :/ ) that i cannot get out with detangling shampoo, conditioner or the spritzy stuff.

i figure that there has to be a product that will detangle dreadlocks or really bad rats in hair. anyone? please don't tell me that the only way is a good haircut. :cry2

Aerynne
10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
I'd say get a really good conditioner (like Pantene) and leave it in his hair for several hours, then rinse it out and try to comb his hair.

BeckaBlue
10-12-2005, 09:36 AM
I use dove conditioner, brush (comb) while it's wet and cond still in to do what i can, then suave conditioning spray and brush the rest, usually works
there's also some oils that you can use IIRC

another thing was to try taking small bits at a time. get the huge clump but only work on small bits of one side of it
and maybe start with a wider tooth comb them move to a small once it's manageable

boonpnutsmom
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I remember when I was little I had a horrible rats nest and my daddy used St Ives, aloe vera conditioner and just lovingly and painstakingly sat with me and combed it out. I use a spray detangler on DD everyday so that this doesn't happen. I would say find an INTENSIVE conditioner, I love the Neutrogena ones, and like a PP said, let it sit in the hair for awhile and then try to comb it out slowly, or as slowly as a younger child will allow. Repeat as necessary until it is all worked out. Another thing would be Mayo, I know I have used that for some really tough knots when I was out of conditioner.

greenemama
10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
i got some good pantene conditioner, baby oil (my mom's recommendation), a deep conditioning oil treatment for african american hair, and a heavy duty comb. we'll see what happens. he really loathes being picked at and if i touch his hair back there he jumps away because he doesn't want his hair to snag on my fingers. :sad2

thanks, ladies, for all of the good advice. i'll keep you posted. :hearts

kycanonist
10-16-2005, 07:16 AM
We use Infusium leave in conditioner everytime we wash DD's hair. :) It works like a charm. :)

Jacqui