PDA

View Full Version : Slingin' question

hapigurl
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Okay, so I am a new mom to a preemie (11 weeks early). He's 8 weeks old now, but he's still supposed ot be in my womb. I also am a first time mom, so I've never used a sling or anything like that.

I would love to sling my baby. I think it would be good for both of us. I have questions though.

How old does my son have to be before he can be worn?
Are there "preemie" slings out there?
What sling do you recommend?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ladies.

Bev

MarynMunchkins
10-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I brought my sling to the hospital.:) And I prefer a ring sling, like the Maya Wrap, for liitle babies.

gratefulmama
10-01-2005, 01:47 PM
No age or size requirements :tu
I second the ring sling
With him being a preemie I would sling as much as possible because it would most closely recreate the womb environment

Congrats on your babe and motherhood!

Katiebug
10-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I would get a Maya, as well. I think it's wonderful you want to sling your preemie :heart

joyful mama
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
I love my pouch sling... very simple and quick for a mom who is new to slinging... and I would wear him very often, i'm sure he'll love the 'womb recreation' :heart

vgabhart
10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
The Maya Wrap "Mama Baby" might be nice for a preemie, since its so soft and snuggly. It's the same as the regular maya wrap, but made in a knit fabric.

Iarwain
10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I wore Noodle in the NICU as soon as I could hold him. He was not quite 36 weeks at that point. You don't need a special sling for a preemie but you will probably want to be more aware of his head position since his neck muscles aren't as strong as a term newborn just yet and you don't want him occluding his airway. I have a collection of slings and I found that a padded sling turned around backward and the shoulder pad used as a head support worked nicely those first few weeks, but if you think you'll prefer an unpadded sling for the long-term (I do as do many others) then it's probably not worth buying a separate one for these few weeks. You can get the same effect with a folded receiving blanket or hand towel or cloth diaper behind his head and shoulders. The trick is to scootch his bottom into a position where his head isn't rolled forward onto his chest so much. That's no biggie once he reaches approximately full term but until then it may take a bit more fiddling to get him in comfortably.