PDA

View Full Version : Sitting at home instead of going to church today...

Learninggentleness
09-18-2005, 10:28 AM
I am having a hard time going to my church with my nursing baby girl. I am the only one I know of at church who wears a sling, breastfeeds on demand, and basically follows attachment parenting. I know there are probably others there who do this also, but I just don't know who they are. My daughter can't stay calm in church (she's only five months...I wouldn't expect her to stay calm anyway) , especially when there will be sudden noises (the organ, the whole congregation belting out a hymn, or just the sudden laughter of the crowd at something the pastor may have said, etc.). She gets tired, so I sometimes have nursed her to sleep in my sling and then sit outside on benches with my husband. But, then I have many people who are outside staring at me off and on the whole time :hissyfit. I don't want to go to church to be some sort of spectacle. I am a very private person with a tendency towards being an introvert.

I know that there are those who would say that I can be an example to others at church but honestly I'm not at that point yet. I am somewhat new to attachment parenting myself, I'm going through a lot of personal issues, and there is just too much on my plate to be an "example" to others. I hope that doesn't sound selfish...it's just how I feel right now. My husband and son went to church without me :( because I didn't feel comfortable going.

By the way, the nursing room is not something that is appealing to me at all: the women who nurse in there often talk amongst themselves or act in a nervous/uncomfortable manner towards the other women. AND, we can't even listen to the message being preached because either the Mom's are talking too much so I can't hear it, someone doesn't know how to turn it on (some mysterious button on a random phone in the room has the capacity to play the message for us but most don't know what button to press, including me), or the sound is coming in horribly.

I can't leave my daughter in the nursery - she can't handle being away from me for very long, she will need to nurse and/or sleep and obviously needs me to help her with both, they don't have a paging system to let me know she needs me, and she doesn't use a pacifier or bottles.

I am at a loss as to what to do about all this :shrug :sa I want to go to church, but it's hard for me when I do. And even if I am outside listening to the message, I am very distracted by the going's on outside (people milling around, noises, Amber needing my attention, etc.) and sometimes I can't even hear what's being said. I feel very disconnected from everything going on in the sanctuary as well.

DogwoodMama
09-18-2005, 10:39 AM
:hugheart

I can't remember the last time I heard a sermon all the way through. I think it was a year ago? I admit this becomes discouraging after a while. Our situation is that we have a small "cry room" where you *can* hear the sermon, but dd just doesn't do well there at all. So I usually spent my time in the nursery with her, or in the foyer where sometimes I could hear the sermon. The difficulty for us is that dd would be happy in the nursery about 20 minutes on a good day without me, and on regular/bad days I wouldn't even try to leave her.

My dd has now moved up to 2s/3s nursery. Once again, she wasn't ready for it, so I agreed to co-teach with another 2 yo's dad. This is working out well, and I now feel like I have a "purpose" to be there. My dh is a newer Christian than I am, so it is important to me that he be able to attend the service. We are working toward a long-term goal of dd being able to stay second hour while I attend service, and then my dh would be with her if she needed us. For now, though, we're just attending one hour.

I think it's important to continue to be at the church though... maybe as your dd gets older, you & your dh could switch off Sundays, and he could watch her and just get you if you need to nurse her? I know that it's not "optimal", but it seems to be a compromise.

Also, don't worry about being an "example" to others. You just are, but you don't have to try to be, if that makes sense. I would focus on just finding what is comfortable to you. If it means that "for a season" you put church attendance on hold, then so be it. I'm sure that within months your dd might be able to handle the circumstances better, or you will come up with a different approach that works. :heart

Aerynne
09-20-2005, 07:33 AM
:hugheart
I left church yesterday, after I was asked to leave the nursery because of breastfeeding. It's so hard. Is there another church of your denomination in town that you could go to, at least temporarily? Or is there a religious channel on TV that plays something good while your church is going on? Even that can build you spiritually. Can you talk to your pastor? Sometimes it's scary (I'm trying to work up the nerve to talk to mine about the breastfeeding issue) but it might help. I also don't think you have to worry about being an example. In my opinion, being an example is something that happens naturally as you follow your convictions- if you're trying to do it, it isn't as genuine. You're doing the best you can. Hang in there.