PDA

View Full Version : NO Cry Sleep Solution Questions

Roma
09-13-2005, 04:29 AM
i am reading the book and i think i've fianlly hit my limit with night wakings and nursings (at 17 1/2 months)

i tried the sleep log last night but it is a lot of guess work because i couldn't write stuff down in the middle of the night. does that matter. i got the basic gist of it

we're going to travel soon. should i bother starting now or just wait until we get home?

i'm sure more questions will come

DogwoodMama
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I'd wait, honestly... sometimes starting a new routine after a trip actually works well because there's a nautural interruption to the old one. That's just me though. Are you going to do the "whole program" with the sleep log, sleep plan, etc or approach it as small changes? If it's small changes like the pantley pull-off or having your dh get involved I think you *could* start them on vacation... if it's not too disruptive, I know my dd can get very needy when we are traveling.

Amber
09-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I would wait to try to reduce that number of night wakings/nursing. Traveling has a nasty way of throwing everything off for my ds. In the mean time I would work on some of the other things like the Pantley pull-off, creating a bed time routine, a consistent bed time, getting DH involved. Then when you get home you can jump into reducing the number of night wakings/nursing.

I know with my ds it can take a couple of days for him to get back to his regular nightime habits after traveling. If this is the case with your ds it might be best to wait a couple of days for him to get settled back in before jumping into something new, this would give you some time to decompress too.

lavender mom
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd wait 'till you get home too. Even now that my kids are "good" sleepers, a trip still throws them off. It always takes at least a week to recover from a short trip.

Roma
09-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the input. Ok we're waiting. I was just feeling inpatient the other day. This morning he woke up at 3:30 and was nursing biting nursing biting nursing biting (AF is here so i don't know if there is less milk :shrug)

i finally said enough after a while and we came out and watched baby bach and then he went back to sleep (nursing) at 6:00.

i'm going to use our camera to take pictures or our bedtime routine and make a book. i've tried the pantley pull off but he doesn't handle that too well, so i think we'll wait on that until we get back. in fact that is where i'm confused on the no cry part.

as soon as i try anything but nurse he cries. so how do i get past that. i'm just afraid the book sounds like it all works so well and that isn't what will happen for us.

Hatina
09-15-2005, 09:30 AM
He sounds like my Son. I can't even count how many times he wakes. I try just cuddling/rocking him but he just wants his milky.

We went away for the summer for 6weeks and he was only waking 3times a night while we were away, yet as soon as we got back home he went straight back to his billion times a night waking.

So you never know, he may actually be better away, or maybe my little one's just contrary.lol

TrinMama
09-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the input. Ok we're waiting. I was just feeling inpatient the other day. This morning he woke up at 3:30 and was nursing biting nursing biting nursing biting (AF is here so i don't know if there is less milk :shrug)

i finally said enough after a while and we came out and watched baby bach and then he went back to sleep (nursing) at 6:00.

i'm going to use our camera to take pictures or our bedtime routine and make a book. i've tried the pantley pull off but he doesn't handle that too well, so i think we'll wait on that until we get back. in fact that is where i'm confused on the no cry part.

as soon as i try anything but nurse he cries. so how do i get past that. i'm just afraid the book sounds like it all works so well and that isn't what will happen for us.

Sometimes you won't be successful with the ppo (pantely pull off) because they are so used to falling asleep that way. I've been using us the ppo for something like 5 months, and still my dd will root like crazy a few times before being "ok" with not nursing in her sleep. keep it up, be patient. he'll adjust.

as for the keeping track on the sleep log, when i was being consistent with it (lol, can you tell i gave up? i gave up when we went on vacation and visits to family and then moved...life is only now getting back to normal), it wasn't too bad. just remember that you keep a log of his sleep only once every ten days. it is less overwhelming that way! and, as pantley says, you see results over a period of ten days (or not, and you adjust your plan), instead of being frustrated every day when it seems that nothing is working.

Roma
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
thanks for the input. we just got back and we'll be starting this weekend
say prayers :pray

TrinMama
09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Good luck! Be patient with each other. :) You will get more sleep before long! Trin is now sleeping through for about 6 hours on good nights! wahoo!
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I've started thinking about times in the future when she's a teenager, out late...I think to myself that during those nights I will long to be holding her and putting her to sleep, no matter how many times, instead of worrying about her getting home safe. That helps me get through the nightwakings. :smile

KarenBoo
09-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there since you expressed confusion about the ppo-

She says to pop them off and then if they cry at all to pop them right back on again, wait a minute or two, then try again. repeat, repeat, repeat. Gradually, over time, the crying won't come when they get popped off. (That's the way it happened for us.)

I also chose to limit the number of pop-offs. If after 5 times she was still really mad, then I'd stop and let her nurse to sleep. It is a gradual process after all.

Suzanne
10-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Are you reading the baby version or toddler version? I just bought the toddler version and am similarly considering doing things due to all night nursing. Once or twice I can handle but all night LONG is killing me...

Roma
10-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Are you reading the baby version or toddler version? I just bought the toddler version and am similarly considering doing things due to all night nursing. Once or twice I can handle but all night LONG is killing me...

i have both but have only read the first one so far.

Suzanne
10-17-2005, 05:21 AM
I only have the second one, but I'm loving it so far!

Treenahurricane
10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
I have the toddler version and while my toddler doesnt nurse anymore, we moved her from cosleeping to her own room in may when dd#2 was born which was a challenge (she had gotten to where she wasn't *sleeping* in our bed.... wasn't *sleeping* anywhere!) We've had a lot of success using different methods described in the second book for getting her to sleep. I'm very thankful for that book.