PDA

View Full Version : How much do you wear your baby?

Hopeful
09-10-2005, 02:30 AM
I mean, like, 1 hr a day? 3hrs? 8hrs?
Only when out and about or indoors too?

Do any of you have kids that you wore a lot and have now grown up?

I wear DS every morning. He's obviously now used to me and seems to settle with me faster than with DH...I guess this is bc I always have him near me. Is the soltuion to get DH to wear DS more? Difficulty is DH is at work all day.

Just curious about what others do and also if you have any ideas... :popcorn

sadie
09-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I wear dd whenever I have a reason to or she wants me to hold her. :shrug I don't schedule in a wearing routine of any sort. If I go out, I wear her. If I am doing stuff in the house and she wants to be held, I wear her and do my work. The amount of time I wear her varies with the situation on any given day. When she was a young infant, I guess I pretty much held her all day..but that was not something I purposefully engineered. It was just what I believe a young baby needed, and was asking for. :heart

I don't think it is necessary to get your ds used to being worn by your dh. The fact is, you are the one who is going to be taking care of him and being around him most of the time. Your dh is going to occasionally wear or hold him. I don't see a need to purposefully schedule in wearing sessions with your dh, since, as you say, he is working most of the day. :shrug Your ds will get used to the differences in carrying methods and times between you and your dh. :)

MarynMunchkins
09-10-2005, 04:00 PM
At a month? About 6 hours a day. Seriously - it wasn't safe to put him down around the other two, and he was either in the bed or in the sling. Whenever I moved him, he'd get stepped on. :O

Now? When we go shopping with everyone or during naptime. He falls asleep and it makes the trip easier on me. :tu

Thia
09-11-2005, 05:47 AM
At one month: A LOT! She loved the sling. If she was fussy, just the sight of me putting it on would calm her down. And those nights when she wouldn't fall to sleep, I'd sling her b/c I'd be so tired and worried about my tired arms. So, we'd sling and walk back and forth. At the stores. To get anything done around the house. A walk around the block.

BeckaBlue
09-11-2005, 07:41 AM
with kenzie i wore her very frequently (in a front carrier) jsut whenever she wanted, which ended up about 1-2hrs a day usually, + when we were out
abbey never liked being carried too much and prefered to sit herself and do herself (what she could anyways) from the time she was born, i held her a lot, but she preferred not to be in the carrier. she does like to go in the sling now, but usually nik gets first dibs
nik has tapered off to in it maybe 20min of the day except when we're out, he goes in it whenever we're out pretty mcuh cuz he won't walk or sit in a cart, we're out a lot so it turns out to a LOT of slinging for him! when he was a baby he spent most of his day in the carrier, otherwise i couldn't get ANYTHING done

lavender mom
09-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Yep, when DD was a month, I wore her almost all day, especially in the evenings. (Didn't know about slings with DS until he was a few months older.)

Now that DD is almost 1, I usually only wear her when we're out. For some reason, I don't tend to wear her a lot when we're at home- I think it's because we all change activities too frequently. She likes to be held a lot, but she likes to play a lot between being held, so she'd be in and out of the sling all day long! :P It's easier now just to hold her I guess.

When DD was little, we found that she would settle in with DH a little better if I would wear the sling first, and get her comfy. Then, we would put the sling on DH with DD already in it. I know it sounds complicated, but it seemed to work! :)

arwen_tiw
09-12-2005, 05:19 AM
At one month old, alllll the time. She didn't like to be put down. I didn't have a sling though, so it involved very sore arms. When she wasn't on me she was on DH, or asleep beside us.

Now (at one year) only really when we're out and about somewhere she can't walk. So everywhere except the park pretty much. Sometimes I'll wear her around the house too, like if I need to cook or clean and she's fussy. Or like yesterday when she came down from her nap early and we were playing a board game. She went in the sling for feeds so that the game wasn't distracting her and to stop those little exploring fingers stealing pieces when she was feeding so close!

kris10s
09-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Like others said, non-stop at one month, now when we are out and about or the occasional time that I need to get something done in the house and she won't let me.

Radosny Matka
09-13-2005, 06:48 PM
When Patrick was an infant, I wore him in the sling ALOT - around 6-8 hours a day. Now that he is bigger, I don't wear him nearly as much. I wear him around the house if I'm doing some light chores or if he is really fussy. I wear him on walks. I wear him in the stores.

Aisling
09-13-2005, 09:40 PM
At one month, I wore her *almost* constantly. She was pretty HN, and did really well in a sling/pouch. So probably (when we weren't sitting down or sleeping), about six or seven hours a day..sometimes more. Now she's getting more independant, and I miss my little slinger, though she still likes to "ride" when she's sleepy, when we're out, and especially while she's teething :P~

joyful mama
09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
dh LOVED using the baby bjorn w/dd. He's not crazy about slings, (I think when she's older he might like to use other positions, such as wearing her on his back and such) but the carrier worked great for them both :tu. He'd put her in it and do laundary, mop, etc. and she would sleep for hours :heart. I think just introduce it when you can... you don't have to schedule any time, really :shrug

GodChick
09-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Just about any time I'm standing up. :giggle (She prefers to be held rather than worn when I'm sitting down.)

Edited to add: and DD1 isn't grown up yet, but she's has grown out of the wanting-to-be-held-constantly phase. She's happy and secure, not clingy, and learned to walk and crawl at age-appropriate times. She is slow to warm up in new places and wants to stay near me until she acclimates to new surroundings and people . . . but I'm positive that's just due to being a HN, slow-to-warm-up personality, not because she was worn a lot. :tu

cannuke
09-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Maybe 1-2 hours per day. DH likes to put DS in the baby bucket for naps - makes me nuts b/c I heard those are back for their backs. I'm wearing him right now so I can type with 2 hands and he's sound asleep.

I've found that he gets really hot after a little while so I feel like maybe I'm overheating him if I wear him too much. KWIM? :shrug

TreeHugginMama
09-20-2005, 12:49 PM
When they were babies all the time. Now I just wear Christian when we go to the store or when we go on walks.

Littledisciples
09-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I would have worn the older two more if I had known about the comfortable babywearing and not the uncomfy snugli we had. Now this one I used to wear her alot as a infant couse she would not take a nap until she was carried and then gentaly I layed her down. Now days she is walking and all so just when I am cooking or dishes couse she insits on being held at those times and then twice a day we go to the bus stop to get the oldest. So thats it but she loves it.

milkmommy
09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
from birth till about 4 months a ton I'd estimate around 8-10 hrs a day 4-9months oh 3-5 hrs she was starting to crawl and eventually walk 9-present probably between 0-2 shes bigger more independent and heavier.. We still cuddle tons.

Deanna

jammomy
10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Ditto what Sadie said. I wish I would have known about slings when ds #1 was a baby; he was hn and colicky until he was almost 5 mos old - poor little guy.

purplerose
10-09-2005, 02:58 PM
It depends on the the day. Some days I wear baby A LOT, and other days I might only wear him for an hour or so. On average I'd say about 4 hours a day! :rockon

IslandMama
10-10-2005, 10:36 AM
I mean, like, 1 hr a day? 3hrs? 8hrs?
Only when out and about or indoors too?

Probably 6-8 hrs a day...

Do any of you have kids that you wore a lot and have now grown up?

Yes. They are very attached, but also very independent! They still love to snuggle. Oldest one is 11. :heart

I wear DS every morning. He's obviously now used to me and seems to settle with me faster than with DH...I guess this is bc I always have him near me. Is the soltuion to get DH to wear DS more? Difficulty is DH is at work all day.

My dh wears dd when he can, but right now she only wants me! So he usually ends up giving her back! :lol