PDA

View Full Version : traveling alone with two wee ones--best way to "transport" kids

GodChick
09-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Okay, so DH is out of town on yet another business trip. In a couple of weeks, Serena (2.5 years) and Samantha (6 months) and I will fly from Texas to Florida to spend some time with him. I'm used to flying a lot, and have frequent flier "perks" like waiting in the short lines at the airports, etc. so it's not as bad as it sounds. BUT, I'm wondering what's the best way to get from place to place in the airport with kids that age--any suggestions from moms who have BTDT? Here's what I have in my arsenal to work with:

Wraps--cotton interlock, and cotton gauze (can wear baby on front or hip, but she flops around a bit too much on my back)
Slings--Mayawrap ring sling, and adjustable pouch sling, solarveil ring sling
Tandem stroller that they both can ride in
And I'm in the process of ordering a cuddle n carry from Arwen, but don't know yet if it will arrive in time

On one hand, it might be beneficial to take the stroller, because then if I need to get quickly from place to place, I can, without having to carry Samantha, and wait for Serena to walk. On the other hand, the stroller is yet one more contraption to deal with. :shrug What do y'all think?

mackinsiesmom
09-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I have only traveled with one. I would take the wrap only if you are going to use it outside of the airport. Its a pain to untie those at security. I would take the stroller. You can always use it as storage to carry things in and carry the carseats (I don't know if you are bring those and lugging through the airport). I would bring at least one sling so that you can sling the baby while the other one walks. Airport security was really nice when I flew by myself. Have fun on your trip.

Katie

Punkie
09-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Here's my advice, after travelling with 2 who were about the same age ;)

If you have anyone who can help you, then get them a gate pass. That way they can go with you all the way to the runway. That's SUCH a huge help. The problem with having them in a stroller or a sling is that either way you have to take them out to go through security. Its easier for me to get them out of the sling than the stroller, but I guess that'd be a personal preference. I like having a stroller just to put the carseats and luggage on so that I don't have to drag it all! My older one walks and my younger one gets worn on me in a sling. Its not super easy, but its the easiest thing I've found.

mamaKristin
09-09-2005, 08:40 AM
I've only yet done this with one child...but I will be doing this next week with 2 (and pregnant to boot!) :popcorn

Punkie
09-09-2005, 08:43 AM
I also wanted to add that if you're really nice they'll often let you ride on the golf cart thing to the gate :tu That's much better than walking/dragging/pushing everything.

snlmama
09-09-2005, 06:31 PM
At that age I'd definitely take the stroller - it''ll be worth it even if you only use it to transport your bags and stuff. I'd take the sling or the wrap, whichever you are most comfortable with.

KarenBoo
09-30-2005, 04:50 AM
I've travelled a bit alone with just one child. What I did was carry DD in the Ergo and push everything else in the stroller. This last time we flew, she is 2 1/4 now, I didn't take the stroller because I knew she'd want to walk. That was a HUGE mistake because I had 4 backpacks to carry. AND she didn't want to walk when she just woke up, so I had to carry 4 backpacks PLUS a toddler. I would have loved to have a stroller for all the backpacks! (DD has almost never ridden in the stroller! :giggle)

Can Dance
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
I travel a lot with dd through airports. I have one child system down. with her, I put her in the car seat and set it into her stroller and semi strap it in. dd is becoming a wanderer, so I am going to purchase a tether thingy bc I can't have her running off whilest I am pushing stuff around. here are a few things: there is a contraption at gogobabyz.com. it hooks to the car seat, if its a Britax. but if you can't do that, maybe you could put that in the seat that isn't being used by your 6 month old. I also heard a rumour you can just get some luggage wheels for that job too. :shrug

bring as carry on's as little as possible.. I would also take someone else with you as PP's have suggested to the gate if you can. going through security is THE WORST part of the whole trip when you have to collapse everything and put it all back together. running after a 2 year old would be very difficult to do.
let us know how it goes. I am going to be in your situation in the not to distance future.

Roma
09-30-2005, 09:02 AM
i've only done one and we've flown five times, i've never taken a stroller just an OTBH or a Maya. if I had 2 i'd probably try to carry the toddler on my back and baby on front

Iarwain
09-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd sling the baby and use the stroller for the toddler and as much luggage as you could safely pile on it. If all the luggage wouldn't fit in the stroller you could use a backpack for your carry-on while still carrying the baby in the sling in front. I'd pick a sling over a wrap because the in and out is faster and easier to adjust for nursing. I'd want to have the 2 yo safely strapped in because if she were to get distracted or wander off it'd be really, really hard to chase after her with luggage in tow. When I think of the things that could get difficult in an airport the stroller seems like the best idea.

GodChick
09-30-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks, ladies. well, that particvular trip got canceled, but there will be another in a month ot two. i'm leaning towrds taking the stroller and an ergo and letting the kids ride in the stroller since i'd have to get dd2 out of the carrier to go through security anyway. then, after we're passed security, they'd have the option of riding or walking/being carried. but i don't think i could carry them both at the sdame time front and back through the airport--i don't have that kind of stamina! i did it often with one, but not both! i just wonder how accomidating the airline will be of a tandem stroller . . . they were good about putting it under/getting it out for me when it was just a single stroller--but the tandem stroller is enormous.

expatmom
10-01-2005, 04:24 AM
I've travelled with a tandem stroller a few times & they are definitely less accomodating with it. I often had to check it with my luggage as they said it was too big to gate check. Which totally defeats the purpose! I got used to carrying my youngest in my bjorn, having the oldest (3 yrs) walk with her teeny backpack, wearing the carryon as a backpack & then loading up the stroller with everything else. I always travel with our carseats, so it gets a bit cumbersome! I have also learned to really minimize what goes in our carryons!

nutmeggmama
10-01-2005, 05:15 PM
im about to fly solo with the 3 kids for the first time. the last time i flew alone, i was 7 mos preg with my second, and noah was 15 mos. I think the stroller is a pretty good idea. i like the maclarens, because they have a shoulder strap so i can put it on my shoulder, if for some reason i cant push it. i bring a maya too. we get gate passes so eric can help us to the gate. (obviously this wouldnt be your husband)
i think the maya and the stroller are the easiest. maybe a tether for the older one, so she cant bolt from you. then sling baby, push stroller, and use it for luggage transport.