PDA

View Full Version : Getting people to understand

TillSuper6
08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
That unschooling does not mean unparenting :banghead Ok today I was at a homeschool function and of course it always come up about what kind of cirriculum do you use. Well everyone is sharing and then the turn to me and ask. Well I came up with this half hearted answer about how we are life learners and I feel as if my oldest who is only 7 is way to young for formal schooling. Well everyone jaws dropped. Then here comes the barage of questions about how do I get away with that. Then I went into how we do nature studies, poetry reading, lots of read alouds, if the kids come to me with a question i give answers but for the most part right now i am working on lifeskills. You could just see all the pained look on their faces. SO one mom said you dont use anything and I was like no.

I know alot of people use cirriculum and that is Great,but for the ones that don't how do you describe your style besides unschooling?

Chris3jam
08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
If I know that we'll get a lot of flack, I just say that I use a little bit of everything. Kind of a "That's great that you found a whole curriculum that works for your child(ren). That's very convenient. I have to personalize mine from what is available, depending upon their strengths and weaknesses. We use a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and a lot of real-life situations."

Of course you are using curriculum. Just not theirs. ;)

Teribear
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I have found that a lot of how unschooling is received depends on how confidently and matter-of-factly I state that we are doing it. If I sound the least bit defensive (and who wouldn't be when one is surrounded by school at homers) or uncertain the barrage of questions come.

What I usually state is that I don't use any specific curriculum...I use a variety of resources. Since most folks around here fall into either the Abeka or Alpha/Omega or BJU camps the often assume I mean that I'm ecclectic and don't persue it further.

If they do then I state that we unschool. Sometimes they'll ask "What is that?" or "How does that work?" and I can choose either to elaborate or (if I sense they're fishing for an argument) answer "Its a method of learning where the child is not aware that she is being 'taught'. Learning happens in the context of life. For example Math may be learned by baking or cooking rather than with worksheets or text books." or "It works quite well thank you."

If the conversation continues along the "How do you know she's learning" vein then I ask "How did you know your child was learning to talk? When they showed you, right? Same with unschooling. We ALL unschooled our children when they were babies but we've been conditioned that when they are 'school aged' that their learning environment suddenly needs to change radically. I don't buy that."

It helps that I know four fine young adult men that were unschooled their entire life and while they are in unconventional professions they're succeding in their chosen areas of interest. Isn't that what we all want out of life for our kids? Success on their terms?

Leslie
08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
<<nature studies, poetry reading, lots of read alouds, if the kids come to me with a question i give answers but for the most part right now i am working on lifeskills. You could just see all the pained look on their faces. SO one mom said you dont use anything and I was like no>>

How does someone hear all of that, and come away thinking that you do nothing?? Some people just can't handle thinking out of the box. It sounds to me like you're doing a living books curriculum in an enhanced environment.

It reminds me of people who think that, because you use alternatives to spanking, that you "don't discipline." :laughtears

Piper2
08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
I actually had somebody ask me yesterday, though, when you unschool -- how do you teach the "basics", like phonics, basic math, or handwriting. Since I'm not an unschooler myself, I just said that I assumed that if the parent feels they need some sort of specific "materials" to teach those subjects, they get them. :shrug Unschooling doesn't mean you're deathly allergic to curriculum -- that you run screaming in terror if anyone happens to come near you with an Abeka reader. ;) It simply means you've chosen to do a majority of your teaching from real life experiences rather than from a book.

My hat's off to everyone who unschools. I'm simply not confident enough in myself yet to trust myself to cover everything without it being laid out for me. ;)

ArmsOfLove
08-25-2005, 12:52 PM
It seems like our *bad trips out* outnumber our *good trips out* so we stay in the house. Does that result in a "school free" diet? :giggle

I like the idea of saying, "We do a little bit of lots of things" and the fact that people tend to pounce when we feel unsure of ourselves in any area. Just boldly state what you do and then recommend they read the Moore's :shifty

Singingmom
08-25-2005, 02:30 PM
When I first heard the term unschooling, it sounded to me like unteaching or unlearning. It took reading one of the Moore's books to open my eyes - they have well-documented research - and I learned a lot more when I started reading in this forum. If someone confident had explained things to me, it would have helped me understand it, although it doesn't sound like that group is interested in learning anything new. It also helps that my kids are old enough now that I have seen for myself how much they learn on their own, and how much they enjoy learning when it's their own idea (even though I don't really unschool).

People with that attitude are scared. Scared of test scores, learning gaps, keeping up with peers, and thinking outside the school-at-home box. I agree that a brief, confident answer is best. It's hard to stand up for yourself when you're surrounded by opposition. Good for you! :tu

Roses
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Just wanted to say your replies have helped me. Because my ds is still so young (5.5-he'd be starting kindergarten if he were in regular school), when people ask about school it's not completely terrifying when I say we have a very relaxed approach (I've never used the term "unschool" to anyone IRL, except my friends who homeschool). I know as he gets older people will expect curriculum and test scores etc. That's just not the way he learns! It's hard to explain to people just *what* we do...we play. That's how I see it. But he's learning! Ahh, anyways,lol.

-Heather

Chris3jam
08-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Tillsuper6, we really need to get together! I sounds like you live right close -- we could do a PE day at the park! We're unschoolers, too. :D

TillSuper6
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Tillsuper6, we really need to get together! I sounds like you live right close -- we could do a PE day at the park! We're unschoolers, too. :D

Chris3jam,

that sounds wonderful :heart. I by no means have a problem with anyone who uses cirriculum, I was refering to this new bread of "uber' homeschoolers who are homeschooling for sucess or Well training the mind type. As I stated before I would love to reach out to another GCM as well as a unschooler. We would love to do a PE day!!!!