PDA

View Full Version : Slings / Wraps / Carriers

Kellenor
08-11-2005, 08:01 AM
:sling

I have a question for all of you - what kind of sling, wrap or carrier is best for a mom with lower back problems?

Kelly

rachelmarie
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi, and welcome!

I'm interested in this answer, too, because for the last couple of days my lower back has been killing me. I keep thinking, "I'm only 23! I shouldn't feel like an old lady!" :lol I'm not sure if it is my mei tai that is causing pain (I wear it several hours a day) or if it is the way I'm sleeping.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you since I am seeking one, too!

mamatogands
08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm looking for an answer too!

Jenne
08-12-2005, 01:46 PM
The two-shoulder carriers are going to spread the weight out more. I think a well-wrapped wrap is probably going to give you the tightest most secure fit, which will keep the weight of babe close to your body and be less likely to cause back pain. A woven wrap will have more structure and be better for a bigger babe.

If your Mei Tai is causing back pain though, I'd be inclined to think you may just need to change how you have it tied on. You want to get the babe as close and tight to your body as you can. If there's much slack, he or she will ride too low or lean too far out and it will hurt you. Also, I've noticed that the knots can sometimes press into my back in an uncomfortable way and cause pain.

Try different ways of wrapping the shoulder straps, and start out with a nice tight fit on the waist strap. I have noticed that putting the shoulder straps over dd's legs and then under her bum, then tying a half-knot back there, and then bringing them over her legs and back in front of me for the final tie is the most supportive and most comfy on my back. I also prefer to cross the straps across my chest, although I don't go out of the house that way... very unflattering. :)

Generally speaking, you're going to be more comfortable the closer and higher your kiddo is riding on you.

tryin-to-FROG
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a lot of low back pain but I love my Over the Shoulder Baby holder sling- I tighten it up really snug so the baby isnt hanging or floping around. I have worn it for hours and then it tends to bother my shoulder more than my back-
Lorene