PDA

View Full Version : Camping??

naturally
08-03-2005, 07:21 AM
OKay this will me our first camping trip as vegans (well except dh :rolleyes). I don't eat meat, and myself and the kids have dairy restrictions (just saying vegan is easier, but we are not strict).
I think in some ways it will be soo much easier not having to worry about keeping meat cold. But in other ways I'm not sure.

I have a few ideas. But am interested in some of your favourite capming recipes, or food items. :yum

TIA. :)

RealLifeMama
08-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Hummus and veggies
Chips and salsa
Apples and PB
Trail mix
Tempeh fajitas and vegetables, stir fried over a basket on the fire
Vegan pancakes for breakfast, or oatmeal

Since you aren't strict vegans, and can eat gelatin, get some Newman's Own Dark chocolate and some dairy free graham crackers and marshmallows for your s'mores.

naturally
08-03-2005, 07:43 AM
MMM thank you, I forgot hummus and veggies. :)

I have yet to try tempa, only because it's had to find here, but I do have tacos down, with a vegie ground round.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ShangriLewis
08-10-2005, 11:52 AM
We find that when we camp we eat alot less. I know growing up my mom made these huge meals and washed dishes and stuff. But, we eat a lot of fruit when we camp. We stopped taking so much food to prepare and enjoy ourselves alot more.

Did you see the vegetarian book review I did. It's called Lip smacking Vegetarian backpacking. It's ingenious. It's for backpacking so some of the recipes are high calorie.

I've read that people take canned biscuit dough and put it on hot dogs on a stick. Then they cook that over the fire. I was thinking of practicing at my sil's (they have a fire pit and we can't do fires in town) with veggie dogs and crecent rolls (they are Vegan btw). I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

My kids usually eat hummus and pita, fruit and cold cereal. They like hot chocolate and hot emergenc-C, too. I'm going to make my own hot chocolate for next time we go.