PDA

View Full Version : Dog people-is this gift okay?

JJsMom
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
My dh's cousin is coming for a visit and we are going to have a b-day party for her. She is single and has four dogs, I think, she enters them in dog shows and is very much a dog person. :tu One of her dogs died about six months ago and I haven't seen her since then. I hadn't heard until not too long ago, so I haven't acknowledged it. These dogs are really like her children and she is such a sweet person. Anyway, I wanted to give her a gift in rememberance of her dog and I looked today and found a statue of a collie, but her dog was a shelty (sp?). It was the closest I could find. I also bought a little dog tag and engraved it "In Memory of Mandy" to put around the staues neck. Is this appropriate? First, just in general, is it an appropriate gift and also the fact that it's a collie and not a shelty? What do you think?

domesticzookeeper
08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
It sounds very sweet :hug

I don't know that one could really tell a Collie from a Sheltie by just looking at a statue, but I haven't seen it. Do you think the difference is too much? Their ear carriage, head shape, leg length, coat, etc. are pretty darn similar, just proportionally smaller in a Sheltie.

I guess what I'm saying is, even if she did notice, I don't think it would be that big of a deal (even for a dog person). It's the thought that's really special, not very many people will acknowledge a pet's loss in such a meaningful way. I know it would mean the world to me if someone did that after I lost a furry companion :heart :tu

ranade3
08-03-2005, 04:59 AM
I don't know about the collie vs. sheltie thing but I just wanted to mention that when we lost our 9 year old dog last December my girlfriend sent me flowers. I was so touched. It was a very difficult time for me and it meant a lot that my loss was recognized.

cannuke
08-03-2005, 05:05 AM
I think that it's incredibly sweet that you're wanting to do something like this. :heart As a dog person, she'll probably be very touched that you remembered her "baby" like this, even if you couldn't find exactly the statue that you were looking for.

I say go for it. She'll be so touched that someone remembered and didn't just brush it off as a pet and not a family member. So many people don't get that pets are family for lots of people. :tu

I also agree with Emily. Shelties are pretty much little collies as far as statues go.

Racheepoo
08-03-2005, 05:36 AM
I've gotten little figures of dogs that weren't *exactly* like my dog (she was a mutt) but close enough for a general resemblance. It always makes me feel very loved and special that someone took the time to look for something like that, and to remember my Josie girl.

I think she will love it!

JJsMom
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
You were right, she did love it! She seemed genuinely touched.My dh and I got got a little weepy when she opened it. It was very nice and I am so glad we were able to get it. She showed everyone and said "Did you see the tag? In memory of my Mandy." It was sweet. Thanks for your support! :-)