PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to do the African wrap?

Can Dance
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
my friend from Africa was going to show me, they are always holding thier babies and I have seen pics of them working in the fields while the baby sleeps. my "baby" is going through the hold me all the time stage right now. which is fine, but my arms are tired. it looks easy. anyone know?
C

IslandMama
07-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I haven't used one personally, but I have seen pictures of African/Ethiopian women using wraps. Mamatoto has great instructions on how to use one.

http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121

HTH! :tu

sarahtar
07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Could you explain what you mean by "African wrap?"

Can Dance
07-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Could you explain what you mean by "African wrap?"

I tried that link and it did not work for me. :shrug maybe I will give it a go again.

I mean, you see all those pictures of women in Africa and they use just a SHEET to wrap their babies to them while they do thier jobs of gathering, getting water, whatever. I see pics of the babies/toddlers taking their nap on mum. this is getting really appealing to me because when we are at home at least, she wants to be held A LOT and I need free hands!
C

sarahtar
07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
A lot of women in Africa use actually two cloths - large squares. (Ok, this is all "or so I hear" I haven't actually gone to Africa and studied it.)

http://www.peppermint.com/kikoyInst.htm

I don't find this to be comfortable or practical for me.

But I think it's much easier to just use a length of fabric as an improvised wrap. 4-6 yards of fabric and you can easily carry a baby on your back (or front).

http://www.peppermint.com/girasolcarry.htm
or try www.mamatoto.org

Julia R
07-30-2005, 03:45 AM
I am learning how to use a wrap now too. It takes me a little longer to get her up than using a sling, which I have down now. But it holds much more secure for an older wiggly baby. She will often go to sleep in this. Sometimes it's the only way I'm going to get work done around the house. She's got to be held all the time. Just take it slowly, one step at a time. It took me several times of getting it, before I felt like I could do it without looking at the instructions on the screen. Then it took a few more practice tries before I was confident attempting it out of the house. Get your DH or someone to help kind of spot while your first try. This will help you not have to worry that you might "loose" her.

sarahtar
07-30-2005, 11:35 AM
And a few tips for solo wrapping on the back - if you have a soft place (like bed or sofa) where you can kneel or crouch AND see yourself in a mirror, this is an IDEAL place for practicing back carries solo. Until I was super confident, I always crouched low to the ground,so if I dropped him, he'd have a short fall.

Julia R
07-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Yes, be safe "just in case" but you should know that I have never dropped dd. Be safe, but don't let the thought scare you off.

sarahtar
07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
I"ve never dropped a kid either. But I think I was more confident in trying out the carries - and in doing them - knowing that I was taking extra precautions. I dont' think I would ever have used a back carry in public if I hadn't started out kneeling just to be on the safe side.