PDA

View Full Version : no-cry sleep solution~~Can someone give me the "readers digest version"?

mommyTay
07-19-2005, 07:37 PM
I think I lost my reading skills when I got kids! If it isn't Thomas the Tank Engine or Magic Treehouse then I can't read through the whole book. :banghead I just can't focus to read anymore.

Anyway, I have a 14mo and a 22mo and I need to get them to bed MUCH earlier! Can someone explain the concept without me having to read the book? Any suggestions for getting them to sleep would be appreciated.

the 22mo is my foster dd, so cosleeping is not allowed. :neutral If I could, I would.

Soliloquy
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Do you want to get them to fall asleep faster or sleep longer stretches at night?

NCSS doesn't address falling asleep faster (that I remember) but it discusses how to help them sleep longer stretches. When they're drowsy and almost completely alseep, you need to put them in whatever position they'll be in while asleep (in a crib, or remove your breast from their mouth, etc.) If they fuss, start over and keep doing this. Over time, it will work (supposedly!). I read the book but never implemented anything because DDs night waking doesn't bother me.

Oh, and put them to bed at the first sign of tiredness. If you miss the first signs, they can get a second wind and it can take hours before they're sleepy again. Also, good naps lead to healthier sleep at night. Don't skip or shorten naps.

Please post again if you have a more specific question and I'll try to help!

cklewis
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
LIttle different, but it helped us.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/ap/sleep.htm

C

mommyTay
07-19-2005, 08:35 PM
ahhh :cup quiet at last. Don't get me wrong, I love my little ones, but I needed a break.

Do you want to get them to fall asleep faster or sleep longer stretches at night?
NCSS doesn't address falling asleep faster

umm....BOTH! I need to get them to sleep earlier and mouse to sleep longer. I have heard NCSS mentioned, but had no idea what it really was. Thanks for the info.
Actually, we are making good progress, I am just very tired and sleep time tonight was overwelming. You can read more of the other problem in the breastfeeding forum. I am too tired to retype.
The new children 22mo and 5yo have only been here a week and are already adjusting to sleeping through the night in beds. That is AFTER I finally get them to fall asleep in a bed. They were in another home before and kept sleeping on the floor or living room couch. I found the little one under the bed a couple nights and she crawled in bed with us another night.
Ask me how tired I was that night! I didn't know she was there, I got up after 3 hrs sleep to check on them after hearing the older one cry. I panicked because I couldn't find her bed or anywhere else! :shifty I finally spotted her when I turned on the light to wake up dh for help!

Thanks to both of you for the info. Things will be a little easier next week, when 13yo dd is back from 4H camp. She can atleast entertain one, while I rock or nurse the other to sleep.

Havilah
07-20-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm reading NCSS for toddlers now and it's really helpful, but way too much info to condense into a few paragraphs. I really recommend it, though. If you have a more specific question I can try to share what she says about it :-)

cklewis
07-20-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm reading NCSS for toddlers now and it's really helpful,

Really? I mean, there's a different one for toddlers? :think

C

Havilah
07-20-2005, 04:26 AM
I think it's new in 2005. I've found it to be much more helpful. The only thing is that she really pushes nightweaning, though she doesn't call it that. Even though I don't intend to nightwean (unless he nightweans himself... which would be more than fine) for some time, I'm finding her suggestions to be useful :)

kris10s
07-20-2005, 05:08 AM
The book is full of lots of little suggestions, so it's hard to reader's digest...

greenemama
07-20-2005, 05:29 AM
it's the one for "toddlers and preschoolers."

for going to sleep it's kind of like the way the super-nanny does it. you sit in the room not touching them and every night you move further away and they still feel secure because they know you're there.

Havilah
07-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Really, for me it's not the specific techniques that make the book helpful. I'm coming to the conclusion (through reading lots of stuff!!) that sleep problems are often a function of poorly timed sleep, poor sleep duration, and lack of structure. She gives a lot of information about these, and it seems that if they are optimized what ever specific technique you choose will be more successful.

Havilah
07-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Sha-zaam! It just dawned on me that understanding the nuts and bolts of children's sleeping patterns and using that info is part of GBD. It sets them up for success :tu