PDA

View Full Version : Did you get dd ears pierced and how old?

Dana Joy
07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
:nak
this subject has come up for me in several areas of life. dd now 8 never had her ears peirced. my dil wants to do my grandaughters.
i wouldn't do it whether or not it causes pain since it seems to me to be permanently altering the body without permission. everyone around me thinks that i'm weird for this opinion. :think

Mothering by Heart
07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I told my dd that she can pierce them if she wants when she becomes a woman(after she gets her period) It will be a rite of passage sort of thing

My mom had mine done when I was 6 months old, but I have never felt pressured to let my dds :shrug

OnlyBelieve
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I think that is a decision to be left up to parents. I have dd's done and I would NEVER pressure another parent (or even try to convince them ) to get their daughter's done.
My mother did not allow us to get ours done until we were over 16 (okay, I begged and begged and got them done at 15). She believes that each person must make that choice for herself.

Tex
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
No. I would never pierce a child. I have seen 7yo children with noserings and etc, as if they are mature enough to make a lifetime decision at 7yo.

I had my ears pierced as a birthday gift at 12.

ArmsOfLove
07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I had my ears pierced when I was 13 and over a few years my ears began reacting to all metal that was put in them--hypoallergenic and gold included. :td I have no intention of ever getting my dd's ears pierced as I now have holes in my ears that won't close up all the way :doh

When she becomes an adult she will be free to make her own choice, but I will tell her my experience and hope it influences her.

Punkie
07-17-2005, 04:59 PM
No. I would never pierce a child. I have seen 7yo children with noserings and etc, as if they are mature enough to make a lifetime decision at 7yo.

I had my ears pierced as a birthday gift at 12.

Hmm, I definitely don't see it as a lifetime decision. I've had plenty of piercings that closed up. I wish they were permanent! Nostril piercings often close in the time that it takes to switch the jewelry. You've got about 2-4 minutes if you're lucky :P Are you sure that the ones that you saw were real piercings? The fake studs and rings can be pretty convincing...

My parents had my ears pierced when I was 6 weeks old, and I'm really glad that they did. I loved being the girl with pierced ears when I was younger :grin In South Florida its super common among the Cuban community. Our (Cuban) pedi pierced my dd's ears at her 2 month appointment. She was mad about them holding her head, but fine other than that. I posted in another thread that the claim is that they don't hurt since the lobe is so thin and doesn't have many nerve endings. It didn't seem to bother Juli at all. Now (at 18 months), she's very proud of her pierced ears and brags about them, lol.

However, I have noticed that its very uncommon here in Colorado to pierce a young one's ears, and if we were to have another daughter, I probably wouldn't do it so early because it seems that the pedi's here don't do it. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a young child to the mall or a piercing parlor to get it done :td

Teribear
07-17-2005, 05:53 PM
I got mine done at 10 and if DD wants hers done anytime from now forward I'll take her and get it done (She's nearly 8). Right now she's waffling between wanting them and being afraid. I do think its something I wanted her to want because they are a hassle to care for and I don't want to be the one totally responsible for that.

SingingPraise
07-17-2005, 05:56 PM
DD asked last month (she'll be 5 in august) and we had it done at the piercing place at the mall. She didn't even say 'ow'. She takes care of them and loves wearing her pretty pink earrings :)

Soliloquy
07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I would never pierce a child's ears w/o them asking for it. We'll see what happens if/when she asks for it. Depending on her age, I'll either say, "OK," or "When you're __ years old." I'm guessing that around age 10 is when I'd be OK with it, but I haven't given it much thought. I like the idea of onset of menstruation, except that some girls don't start until they're 15 or 16, while some start much younger (I started at 11). Hmm. Lots to think about.

SunnyMeee
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Ear piercing (for baby girls) and putting bracelets on babies (baby girls and baby boys) is common in our area. I consider ear piercing a "rite of passage" thing, too. Our middle M (7 1/2) wants her ears pierced but I've talked her into waiting until she's at least 12. :tu

Mama Calidad
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
I won't pierce my child. She can choose that later, but it's not something that I will do to her.

The norm here is to pierce a baby girl's ears at birth. The pedi came and asked us if we wanted them done before we left the hospital. :eek

puffballpopple
07-18-2005, 02:05 PM

missythemom
07-19-2005, 03:43 AM
both of my dds have their ears pierced.my youngest who is two and my oldest who is five.the only real problem was that after the "gun" went off my five year old cried her eyes out,and the people at the salon told me i could use peroxide instead of alchohol so it wouldn't sting but the peroxide didn't heal their ears properly so i had to start an alchohol cleaning regimine after the first six weeks when i noticed they weren't healing so that added another six weeks of dunking their little ears in it.but other than that they are doing great.they love them and are quite cute as well.

boonpnutsmom
07-19-2005, 04:22 AM
I pierced my DD ears at 2 mos and she has never had any problems.

MarynMunchkins
07-19-2005, 05:07 AM
I had Ana's ears pierced for her 4th birthday. She'd been asking for it since she was 2 1/2. :)

But, she had a really bad reaction to the earrings, and we took them out and let the holes close. I don't care if she wants it done again, but I think I'll make her wait until she can do a better job keeping them clean herself. :)

AngelBee
07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
My dd got hers done at 2 1/2yrs.

She had been asking about it for a year.

I would never pierce a childs ears unless they expressed interest and could properly care for the piercings.

ebethmom
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm always surprised to see toddlers and babies with pierced ears! I think it's just a cultural difference. I don't remember any of my friends/classmates having pierced ears until we were older elementary or middle school age.

That said, I think that tiny earrings on little girls look so cute. But I don't think my dd will have anything pierced until she's older. But if she really wants pierced ears I might change my mind.

CandyLayne
07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
my dd's are not pierced (she's 4). i figure if she wants them done, she can do it when she's old enough to ask.