PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't believe my ears today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

purplerose
06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I took my kids to McDonald's for lunch and after they had played for a while I went inside and bought a sundae for us 3 to share. Well, my mistake, you know a 2yo, ice cream and then expecting him to share.........YEAH RIGHT!! :giggle Well, anyway, he was throwing a fit and I was very calmly telling him how we need to share, the ice cream is for all of us. And finally I just let him hold it and then he shared with us and I was praising him "Good boy Joshie! That's such a big boy for sharing!" And all was done. Well I looked up and saw this lady giving me the NASTIEST look!!! She was older and I assumed she was the Grandmother and was there with either her son/SIL and his two children. The oldest boy was probably around 7 and the little girl was around 3. She just keep looking at me with a look of disgust, my guess was she was wondering why I wasn't yelling and smacking my kids around for his behavior; and then she's whisper something to the man. He never looked at me though. Well, their little girl started to whine and cry about wanting/not wanting something. And the Dad was like "Come here sweetie, just sit with Daddy" and the g'mother was like 'NO!!! DO NOT GIVE IN TO HER WHIMS!! She needs to learn to sit like a big girl!!" Then she said to the little girl "IF I HEAR YOU WHINE ONE MORE TIME, I'M GOING TO SMACK YOUR FACE AND LOCK YOU IN THE WOODSHED WHEN WE GET HOME!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME! I WILL NOT EXCEPT THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOUR"!!!! She was so loud that al the people sitting around could hear her. I could tell the DAd was sooooo embarrassed the he just said "let's go" and they left!!! That poor little girl!!!!! When they walked past us to leave I just smiled at the little girl and said "Hi sweetie" and I got a NASTY look again from the mean old lady!! I mean, come on!!!! What is wrong with people!! Kids are kids! why can't people let them be like that! ESPECIALLY at McDonalds play land!!!!!! Good grief!!! :pray :sa

This Busy Mom
06-29-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't know... I hate going out sometimes because there's always someone being mean to their kids. It makes me feel :cry inside.

We went to the discount grocery store today... I could here someone taking on a nasty tone with their kids... when I got around the corner, there was an older, very grouchy looking white lady with a group of black kids. She was being mean to them. My dh had the same thoughts, they were foster kids and she didn't have one drop of compassion for them.

Why are people so mean to kids?

Heather Micaela
06-29-2005, 03:57 PM
:sick :cry

MAN! Even when I was punitive and also having emotinal problems I NEVER said anythink like THAT to my kids. And that would be the last time my kids saw their granmothe if my mom/mil acted like that!!!!!

J3K
06-29-2005, 04:29 PM
we've got a super nasty neighbor who yells things at her kids that I cannot repeat on a polite board such as this. I grew up with a sailor in the house , a career navy man , and had never heard cuss words in the combinations she was using. At her children.

I don't know why lil ol grannies can be so mean.

happy2bmama
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh my..... that's so sad :cry

Irene
06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
weird, I thought grannies were supposed to be fun :cry

GodisGood
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Blech!

lumpofclay
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
:sick2

You must live in the South?? I do. While I haven't seen things as bad as "lock you in the woodshed", I've definitely heard that type of thing. (or seen it :cry )

MomToDM
06-29-2005, 06:52 PM
That is so sad, my kid would not be seeing their grandmother if she spoke to them that way. Poor kid. :sad2

MarynMunchkins
06-29-2005, 07:54 PM
:sick

Does anyone else want to tell them to stop whining and yelling at their kids for whining and yelling? :rolleyes :P Nasty old woman...:td

domesticzookeeper
06-30-2005, 05:01 AM
I hate going out sometimes because there's always someone being mean to their kids. It makes me feel :cry inside.

I agree. Just going to K-Mart is a pain because I have to listen to moms being so mean to their kiddos :cry

APMamaX4
06-30-2005, 06:42 AM
I hope this will be taken in the spirit within which it is being written :D

Mommabean, I soooo don't want to attack you or anything.... but I was wondering, maybe everyone else is just avoiding saying anything, or maybe they see nothing wrong with it, BUT.... I personally would not have given the 2 y/o the icecream if he was having a fit for it. I'm sure that's why she gave you the dirty look, but never mind her -- from the sounds of it, she's a mean old crotchety woman anyway :giggle But I wonder if I'm the only one who would not have given him the icecream, since he was having a fit for it? Am I still being punitive minded?? UNLESSS...maybe you normally would not have given in, and normally he knows that fits don't get him anywhere, but this was just totally "one of those days" and you did something you normally never would have?? Now that I can understand *sigh* LOL

purplerose
06-30-2005, 08:11 AM
You know APMomma, sometimes you've just got to pick your battles, KWIM!!!!! :shrug I bought a sundae for all 3 of us to share and I was wanting to hold it while we all shared, but DS wanted to hold it. Once I gave in and let him hold it, he was fine, and let us share it. He just wanted to hold it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. But sometimes you've got to look at the whole spectrum of things...........it's a .99 cent Sundae, at McDonalds, in the play area. Is it really worth it? Not to me! Especially when my 3yo was being so patient and willing to share, I'm 30 wks preggers, need I say more!!!!!!!!!!! :-) I'm trying to teach him the concept of sharing, which is very hard for a 2yo! Regardless, there's still NO REASON for an old lady to give me dirty looks for trying to be gentle with my children. And there's NO REASON for her to threaten a 3yo like that either!!!!! I didn't give her dirty looks at all! Oh and whoever asked if we were in the South, we are not! Southern California! But this place is full of people from other areas, so maybe SHE was from the south!!!! :hearts

Heather Micaela
06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Sounds like you did fine w/ your 2 year old since he calmed down and shared. It is not our goal to have emotionless kids. Also you listened to him an understood that he wanted to share, but also that it was improtant that he held the cup. Maybe he was trying to show what a big boy he is.

And you're right about the dirty looks - I don't even give dirty looks to spankers (being as I WAS one).

I am in So Cal. too and want to know where someone in so cal got a woodshed anyway! lol

P.S. whereabouts are you in CA? I am in Orange County

anniegirl
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
:sick2 :cry

How awful. She's not going to be getting many visits or phone calls from those kids once they're grown-up. Then she'll complain about what terrible grandkids they are. :rolleyes I had a step-grandfather who was that way.

amytech
06-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I just had to repond to this one...
I think you handled this beautifully. You wanted him to share-you really didn't care who held the cup, right?
Back in my days before GBD, I would have been all worked up that my kid was not obeying what I asked him to do. :blush I would have been more worked up over my child "making a scene" than anything. More concerned about that than the child...so wrong...

That lady just makes me sick...really...
Yes, if htat was my child's grandmother, that would have been the end of her seeing them. It's aweful to me how people treat children as less than human...

LikeADimMirror
06-30-2005, 06:39 PM
That story breaks my heart. Stuff like that makes me pray harder that Jesus will come back soon.

As for giving the ice cream to the 2-year-old, it is none of that nasty old woman's business. I agree with you, in the grand scheme of things that little incident really isn't going to matter (myself, I would have let him hold the ice cream to, as long as he was willing to share.

righteous mama
06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
:cry That is so incredibly sad. At least the dad didn't join in.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, not sure which, the older I get the more out-spoken I get. I probably would have looked her square in the eyes and said, "Wow, that's real mature!" Or, "Great way to show a child compassion and grace...I'm sure she feels mighty safe with you around!"

And when she was glaring, I wouldn't looked back and asked her if she needed something. Maybe she's lactose intolerant and couldn't handle watching you enjoy your delicious ice cream. ;)

Heather Micaela
07-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Maybe she's lactose intolerant and couldn't handle watching you enjoy your delicious ice cream. ;)

lol