PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't be surprised....

Wonder Woman
06-27-2005, 03:22 AM
to see the Pearl's advocating uneccesary violence. But it always does catch me off guard.
This, from their latest article on bringing out the best in boys.
A boy takes a BB gun out and stalks helpless, little, pretty birds all day long. Finally, he kills one. He plucks out the prettiest and longest feathers and sticks them in his hat. “…dominion over the birds of the air…”
showing how the boy should be encouraged to conquer and subdue everything. :sick2 :td :hissyfit :banghead

ummm...for the record - we aren't vegetarians here. But we will NEVER encourage our ds to kill a helpless bird to prove his "dominion". :sick2

cklewis
06-27-2005, 03:27 AM
My ILs are hunters. This would be absolutely forbidden in their family. Absolutely. I can see the shock and disappointment now if they read this story. You don't do this. This is bad stewardship!

C

Wonder Woman
06-27-2005, 03:34 AM
yeah, bad stewardship indeed! I told my dh the conservation officer about this...
and he said "If they are going to teach kids this, they'd better hope the ranger isn't anywhere in the vicinity!"
Then he started listing all the ways they could be charged (the parents, not the kid) :giggle

Marrae
06-27-2005, 03:37 AM
That is just sick. I cannot believe these people. :sick2

cklewis
06-27-2005, 03:40 AM
yeah, bad stewardship indeed! I told my dh the conservation officer about this...
and he said "If they are going to teach kids this, they'd better hope the ranger isn't anywhere in the vicinity!"
Then he started listing all the ways they could be charged (the parents, not the kid) :giggle

:giggle Yes, yes. . . . conservationists! That's what they are. This city girl doesn't know much about all that stuff, but I truly admire their ethic. :tu

C

DebraBaker
06-27-2005, 04:40 AM
Is it me or do the Pearls seem to put an inappropriately positive spin on almost every quinticentially male quality?

DB

Wonder Woman
06-27-2005, 04:56 AM
nope, not just you. They do it. They glorify the male.
You know, I love my dh totally and completely. I try my hardest to please him (and he's usually easy to please.) But if he ever said he was going to subdue me! :eek :shifty wouldn't be a good thing. I'm not an object to be conquered.

Titus2:5Catholic
06-27-2005, 07:12 AM
In this day where men are often more feminine then most women (the whole "metrosexual" guy phenomenon, for example) I plan on really encouraging my boys to be strong in their masculinity, and my daughters in their femininity.

That being said, manhood is not proved by causing suffering; it is proved by protecting "the least of these". But the Pearls' whole philosophy is that violence=power, so I'm not really surprised.

CelticJourney
06-27-2005, 07:31 AM
A 'friend' of mine thinks 'the Peals have a lot of good things to say' - hence the 'friend' part.

We were at her house one day, before I decided that her home was not a place I wanted to be, and her son and my youngest were playing in the backyard. Dd2 starts yelling, she was mad and everyone is going to know it. Turns out the little boy had 'shot' the family dog - even though it was pretend, dd2 was enraged that dear Honey was the target of 'unwarrented asassination' (not her words, but certainly her sentiment). The other mom was very casual and said something about the difference between boys and girls and how boys just hunt things.

Now we are not anti-gun here. Dh was a sniper on the swat team at his last job and if we lived in the pioneer days I am sure we would have eaten very well (after he cleaned, butchered, prepared and stored the meat in nice tupperware containers, that is ;)). What I found a little strange is that the family dog was targeted rather than some imaginary animal or pretend animal (heck, shoot the lawn furniture). It just seems like there would have been more of an emotional attachment between 'a boy and his dog' than that

MarynMunchkins
06-27-2005, 07:33 AM
:cry

Michael Pearl needs to learn the meaning of meekness.

DebraBaker
06-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I'll take a metrosexual over Michael Pearl on any given day.

In fact, DSIL is a metrosexual. My husband is the most anal straight guy I know.

They're "real men" and more a man and closer to a g=dly image than the baby-whipping Michael Pearl.

My other SIL is a burly bearded manly looking man but his heart beats tender and he is an avowed pacifist.

Again, I'll take the rough-looking exterior and gentle tender interior any old day.

And I'm darn glad I have these men (metrosexual and burly-tender) as the fathers of my future grandchildren instead of one who would throw them into the pond to teach them to swim, bait them into disobedience, and treat my daughters with disdain because they don't possess a Y chromosome any old day!!!!

The bird thing is just consistant with their overall character as the original post suggested.

Debra Baker

cklewis
06-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I'll take a metrosexual over Michael Pearl on any given day.

In fact, DSIL is a metrosexual. My husband is the most anal straight guy I know.

They're "real men" and more a man and closer to a g=dly image than the baby-whipping Michael Pearl.

My other SIL is a burly bearded manly looking man but his heart beats tender and he is an avowed pacifist.

Again, I'll take the rough-looking exterior and gentle tender interior any old day.

And I'm darn glad I have these men (metrosexual and burly-tender) as the fathers of my future grandchildren instead of one who would throw them into the pond to teach them to swim, bait them into disobedience, and treat my daughters with disdain because they don't possess a Y chromosome any old day!!!!

The bird thing is just consistant with their overall character as the original post suggested.

Debra Baker

:tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap :tu :clap

ITA. It's not about demonstrating the worldly ideal of masculinity. Hmph. Not at all. Christ was nurturing and tender.

I see nothing in Scripture that says that men have a different moral character than women. All are meek, all are tender, all are gracious, all are powerful.

C

J3K
06-27-2005, 09:44 AM
You know, I love my dh totally and completely. I try my hardest to please him (and he's usually easy to please.) But if he ever said he was going to subdue me! wouldn't be a good thing. I'm not an object to be conquered.

I am five feet tall and weigh just about 115lbs. I have training. NO ONE would be allowed to 'conquer' me. What a horrible thing to teach boys. That they are stronger than girls physically and mentally. UGH! I can take down a man twice my size. And have.

Unless of course the conversation was started by dh and 'intimate' in which case I'd grin and giggle and put up a weak fight. :mrgreen LOL

DebraBaker
06-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Jennifer,

I'm "trained" as well, poor man if he tried to subdue me.

I've demonstrated some self-defense methods with him, poor man.

DB

Marsha
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
You know, my dh would fall under metrosesxual. and there is nothing feminie about him. There is also none of that "because I'm a man, and I said so" about him.................or I wouldn't have married him.
There is no point in maligning a clean-cut, well-groomed man who actually LIKES grooming products and clothes .......as much as I fail to understand it myself LOL.

J3K
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Jennifer,

I'm "trained" as well, poor man if he tried to subdue me.

I've demonstrated some self-defense methods with him, poor man.

DB

:mrgreen Do you get the same reaction I do ? Even though dh KNOWS my skills he says "I , um , I let you win". :laughtears Sure babe. Whatever you say. With a twist of my hips and a flick of my wrist I've got him pinned under me.

One time he got me unawares. He had me pinned under him . My legs pinned under his , my arms above my head held by ONE of his hands. His other hand was on my face , tipping my chin to him. He said "whatcha gonna do now Kim?" (he calls me Kim Possible...lol) I laughed and said "use my feminine wiles against you" I rubbed suggestively against him and it took him off guard. I bucked my hips and twisted at the same time. KERPLOP. He landed on the floor. He says " I um , let you do that" Sure babe. Whatever.

:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

CelticJourney
06-27-2005, 10:49 AM
That is too funny 'Kim'!! :laughtears

It never gets that far in our house because my dog, while he likes my dh, thinks everything is he fault and he is always in the wrong. If the kids are chasing dh through the house, dog is on his tail barking his head off in some 'I don't know what you did, but I'm mad now' bark. Once I was showing dh a defense move I learned in my distant youth, which involved him ending up onthe floor. I gave a gentle 'this is the point where I would have knocked you to the ground' motion, so dh complied. The dog ran over and started nibbling on him. Who says dog is MANs best friend? :D Of course I don't train my dogs in the Pearl way, so maybe that explains the bond.

julbug
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
to see the Pearl's advocating uneccesary violence. But it always does catch me off guard.
A boy takes a BB gun out and stalks helpless, little, pretty birds all day long. Finally, he kills one. He plucks out the prettiest and longest feathers and sticks them in his hat. “…dominion over the birds of the air…”
showing how the boy should be encouraged to conquer and subdue everything.

The queen of England has dominion over her subjects but I don't see her stalking them, shooting them and making purses out of their skin.

Lois
06-27-2005, 04:49 PM
:giggle..you ladies are a funny bunch...my dh loves to wrestle but I always seem to get hurt somehow...probably because I am a "girly girl" when it come to unnessary pain :mrgreen

DebraBaker
06-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

db

Tulip_Plus_3
06-27-2005, 07:16 PM
showing how the boy should be encouraged to conquer and subdue everything.
ummm...for the record - we aren't vegetarians here. But we will NEVER encourage our ds to kill a helpless bird to prove his "dominion". :sick2

This is so totally vile & immoral. If we found out any of our kids did this, there would be an awful price to pay. This is not only illegal (native wild birds are protected under federal law!), but it's a shameful display of contempt towards the very creatures we are supposed to steward & shepard.

UltraMother
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
This is why I stopped getting their newsletter. Their stuff is SO male-centered, and the comments like this are positively moronic.