PDA

View Full Version : GBD book to balance Tripp...

CelticJourney
06-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Our children's minister and I have been talking about presenting a balanced (ok we say that to be politically correct, we want truth) class to counter-act Tripp. For anyone who is interested, if your church teachs Ezzo or Tripp and they have trouble filling all your teaching slots in your children's program, try pointing out that parent-centered programs produce parent-centered parents who think teaching children is not the best use of their time.

The original idea was for her to teach a class and me to take over some of her responsibilities in the children's building. I am not sure if that is going to happen, so I want to be prepared if she wants me to 'facilitate' a class.

Cloud and Townsend are sold at our local denomination's store. I have heard of Families Where Grace is in Place, but haven't read it.

If you could teach only one 'semi-mainstream' book, what would it be?

ArmsOfLove
06-23-2005, 09:58 AM
for what you're saying I'd go with Families Where Grace Is In Place :tu

MarynMunchkins
06-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Yep. :tu Or maybe "Grace-Based Parenting" by Tim Kimmel. The fact that it's been endorsed by James Dobson convinces a lot of people to read it. ;)

mom2chrisnluke
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I second the TIm Kimmel "grace based parenting". I recently led a study in our women's group with this book. They have discussion questions on their website for each chapter. It make leading the class very easy. The book was great. I was able to work in alot of GBD stuff I have learned here and in other books. The book has alot of stuff the pertains to older children but many of the mom's with younger children said they learned alot.

Leah

Lois
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
um...the bible...tehe :P...just messin..but you could reference it :giggle

Maggie
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Yep. :tu Or maybe "Grace-Based Parenting" by Tim Kimmel. The fact that it's been endorsed by James Dobson convinces a lot of people to read it. ;)

Dobson endorses Kimmel's book???? :eek

CelticJourney
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
um...the bible...tehe ...

We had VBS last week and one 1st grade group missed recreation time at the very beginning and later ended up on the playground (long story). The Children's Minister and I went to check on them. The teacher said "We told them there were smaller children out here and if they saw one just treat them the way Jesus would" I looked at the cm and said "See, why can't we just do that as a parenting class?" She just smiled.

Thanks for the recommendations! I spoke with her today and I think she is going to teach and I am going to the children's building, but I mentioned Families Where Grace is in Place and I saw Grace Based Parenting at the bookstore last week. I may just get it, read it real fast and pass it on to her.

MarynMunchkins
06-23-2005, 07:41 PM

Dobson endorses Kimmel's book???? :eek

Yep. :tu Kimmel has been on FOTF a couple times. :) It's also endorsed by Jack Graham, the president of the SBC. :D

CelticJourney
06-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Kimmel has been on FOTF a couple times. It's also endorsed by Jack Graham, the president of the SBC

Good info. Thanks!! We Baptist are a widely varied lot, aren't we?

MarynMunchkins
06-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Actually, IME, most Baptists in the South believe that spanking is right without having the faintest clue why. :rolleyes Since being Baptist and spanking are both cultural, many people assume they are related. :shrug Ironically enough, the church I was going to before we moved was pastored by the former president of the SBC. And they sold "Grace-Based Parenting" and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" side by side. :td

All the conversations where I've actually gone into depth about why I stopped spanking and the Biblical reasons behind it leave people going :wow They are really amazed to realize that their preconceived notions about spanking and the Bible may not be accurate. :)

TulipMama
06-24-2005, 04:28 AM
I haven't read Kimmel's book yet. I like Families Where Grace is in Place. But if you want something more parenting focused, you might want to consider Clay Clarkson's "Heartfelt Discipline." He writes from a very conservative Christian perspective, and is very inspirational.

CelticJourney
06-24-2005, 06:03 AM
And they sold "Grace-Based Parenting" and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" side by side.

Ok, maybe 'we Baptist are a very confused lot' is more accurate. :blush

ShangriLewis
06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
I second the TIm Kimmel "grace based parenting". I recently led a study in our women's group with this book. They have discussion questions on their website for each chapter. It make leading the class very easy. The book was great. I was able to work in alot of GBD stuff I have learned here and in other books. The book has alot of stuff the pertains to older children but many of the mom's with younger children said they learned alot.

Leah

Thanks Leah. My library has this book and I've checked it out twice, but haven't gotten the chance to read it. I didn't know they had a website. I just placed the book on hold and I think I'll use the questions to discuss with my husband.

fourbzboysmom
06-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Elizabeth,

I think "Heartfelt Discipline" by Clay Clarkson is the best alternative... :pray