PDA

View Full Version : would you hit in front of your children?

malakoa
06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
hi -
i'm refering to the heavy bag. both dh and i work out at home. one of the things i do a couple of times a week is punch a heavy bag. great work out great stress reliever. often small is out side with us while we work out. her dad was holding her while i hit the bag. she looked really worried at first, her dad assured her everything was okay, then she began to imitate my breathing - little grunts while i kept it up.

do you think it's harmful for her to see this?

ArmsOfLove
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I think it's great--and appropriate and healthy exertion of energy and aggression. I might even get her a boppy at a very young age and encourage her to take out her aggression there :)

TestifyToLove
06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
I've thought for years I'd eventually have to purchase a punching bag for my children to take their anger out appropriately and healthy. I think we're to that point now, and am planning on pricing a small punching bag when we get moved. I've got one on the cusp of adolescence and one starting to have some anger issues younger. Its time to teach and train them that ANGER goes into the punching bag (not siblings, possessions, parents, etc).

I think doing so in front of your children is perfectly healthy and appropriate.

Radosny Matka
06-17-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree, no problem at all. :D

phathui5
06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
When I saw your title I was wondering, "hit who?" But a punching bag, sure.

Gailmegan
06-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Your title got me too! :giggle ITA with everyone else. Go for it!! :-)

Allison
06-18-2005, 06:19 AM
I would do it! I hope the boys actually use things like that to work out when they get older. I imagine it's a great release for that built up testosterone. LOL

DebraBaker
06-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Punch, kick, its all good.

I actually target my kids but we're karate-ka and don't actually make *contact* (a centemeter away :/)

The kids are bright enough to discern the difference between mom and dad using the punching bag and mom and dad using one another as punching bags.

Just expect them to want to take a shot or two in the near future.

Debra Baker

ShangriLewis
06-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's especially good to enjoy working out in front of your kids. My mother frowned upon any type of exercise and it wasn't until I grew up that I realized how unhealthy that was.

MamaKanga
06-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I think it's great--and appropriate and healthy exertion of energy and aggression. I might even get her a boppy at a very young age and encourage her to take out her aggression there :)

Ditto!! This was a great technique for our son when he went through his big hitting phase.