PDA

View Full Version : newborn dipes

mamatia
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
okay, i am already thinking about newborn dipes. :mrgreen

in your opinion, what is the best system for a newborn?? i.e. what will fit the longest, be cost efficient, and most importantly...CONTAIN BF POO!!! my dd was CONSTANTLY pooing out of her diaper when she was exclusively bf...i am hoping to eliminate this with cloth this time.

any suggestions??

Miranda
06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I am using Infant Fitted Diaper http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/fitted.htm I have had 1 leak in 4 weeks. I think that's pretty good for a breastfed baby.

For covers I use Thesehttp://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm#BummiswBummis™ Super Whisper Wraps

Moon
06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
If you're going for poop containment, fitteds are the way to go IMO. Prefolds and contours are cheap, but unless you have an arsenal of good containing covers they're not good at holding in poop.

Here's a breakdown of our stash plans for Muffin (due in Sept)
6 newborn fitteds (they're tiny and adorable, but I have big babes and can't bring myself to spend more on this size)
2-3 dozen small fitteds, I've bought one dozen so far, and the Very Baby fitted sewing pattern, I plan to make the rest with sherpa unless I happen upon more good deals
2 dozen prefolds- pocket stuffers and back-ups
3 wool covers, 2 wool shorts, 2 pairs wool pants (I want about 3 more wool I think...)
3 PUL covers for backup

eta: there's also 9 AIOs or pockets in small, and 9 one-size AIOs or pockets to share with Moose

BeckaBlue
06-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I wuld think wonderoos would work ok? and last quite awhile!! they'd work for containing in from the back anyways, dunno about the sides

Aerynne
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
We used prefolds and proraps and I cannot recall one poop leak. The newborn prefolds are just so huge, though, for a newborn, that next time I am going to use folded up washcloths in prorap covers.

LoveToReadMommy
06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Well,I started cding for the first time exactly one month ago today. I have mostly hemp prefolds and wool covers. I just finished ordering a bunch of fitted and fuzzi bunz. I will use my hemp prefolds to stuff my fuzzi bunz, because I GIVE UP ON PREFOLDS! I tried to be economical, but forget it! I'm all about convience! Yes, the poop often leaked, and it took so long to change him! dh wouldn't even try. He's done 2 so far, and he wasn't like that when we used sposies! So I'm excited to have an awesome stash. I'm trying all kinds so I'll know what I love when he needs a bigger size. I'm also only using wool at night (aristocats, it's great). It's too bulky for daytime, and I don't like the felted wool covers as well. hth! :)

Lady TS
06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
okay, i am already thinking about newborn dipes. :mrgreen

in your opinion, what is the best system for a newborn?? i.e. what will fit the longest, be cost efficient, and most importantly...CONTAIN BF POO!!! my dd was CONSTANTLY pooing out of her diaper when she was exclusively bf...i am hoping to eliminate this with cloth this time.

any suggestions??

Depends on how big your babies are. :)
I got some newborn fitteds secondhand from a mama and Ivy barely fits into most of them and wets thru them very quickly. She is 9lb5oz and gaining quickly though. The gauzy prefolds I have also do not hold much pee and leaked right away. Do I have a heavy wetter? I still have some sposies left to use up, but today we're using the green serged infant prefolds in a newborn prorap. Folded down in back, then angel-folded. A bit bulky, but so far no leaks!

For the boys, my favorite covers were Proraps and Bummis, in that order. Very rarely did I have to deal w/a blowout.

ebethmom
06-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I liked Kissaluvs Size 0 for newborn diapering. They are so absorbant (and cute!). They also have the great umbilical cord snap.

For dd, the nylon covers irritated her cord. For the first few days, we went coverless. Some of the covers that we had irritated her belly, too. So I switched to wool soakers. I loved the wool - dh hated it! He just could not get the Aristocrats wiggled up enough - poor dd ended up wearing her soaker around her knees.

Kissaluvs and wool get my vote for a newborn.