PDA

View Full Version : More on double strollers...

mamaKristin
06-07-2005, 01:02 PM
DH and I have decided that with baby #3 coming we do need a double stroller. Thing is, where we live the roads aren't in great condition for strolling, and we get snow for a large chunk of the year. We have lousy sidewalks here, where we have them, and some roads aren't even paved. And the sidewalks are really high, most without those *ramp* thing to help you get a stroller over the edge more easily. So we are thinking double jogger, and would prefer one with a movable front wheel to make turning easier. Also, most joggers have a larger weight limit, which would make it an easier stroller to use longer. Any suggestions? Tips? Been there, done thats? We are prepared to spend a decent chunk of change on this, as we would consider it a long-term investment (looking at using it for at least 3 to 4 years - at least!) My biggest issue with buying one is that where we live we can't buy them in a store, would most probably have to be online. I'm nervous spending a whack of money on something that could cost a fortune to ship and then hate it!

TheSweetLife
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Dh and I are seriously considering going with the Phil & Teds E3 buggy "double" stroller.

www.philandteds.com

It has a swivel front wheel that is I think 12 inches in diameter and can be a single or double stroller, you just buy the 2nd seat attachment if you want it a double, it looks soo cool! All the reviews I have read about have been very good as well.

2sunshines
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Stacie, that stroller looks really cool but the biggest problem imo with it is that it appears the child in the rear can't see anything. Their sight is completely obstructed by the front seat. It almost looks like the child in the rear is in the cargo carrier... :giggle I'm sure that it would work with a newborn but, at least with my kids, I imagine them not being able to see could quickly become a problem. Or maybe it's just the picture and it's better irl? :shrug Have you seen one irl? Just curious because apart from that, they look really well built and easy to use.

TheSweetLife
06-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Stacie, that stroller looks really cool but the biggest problem imo with it is that it appears the child in the rear can't see anything. Their sight is completely obstructed by the front seat. It almost looks like the child in the rear is in the cargo carrier... :giggle I'm sure that it would work with a newborn but, at least with my kids, I imagine them not being able to see could quickly become a problem. Or maybe it's just the picture and it's better irl? :shrug Have you seen one irl? Just curious because apart from that, they look really well built and easy to use.

I haven't seen one IRL, dh and I really want to before we buy so I'm trying to see if there are any retailers in the US that have thier products in stock. I thought the whole seat thing was wierd too when I saw it but according to the reviews I've read - I think on the company website or on joggingstroller.com the parents say that the kids really like sitting in the rear seat and even ask to sit back there. :shrug I also thought that my feet might hit that rear seat when walking but the reviews said that tall people haven't had a problem with that either.

2sunshines
06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, you'll have to let me know if you get a chance to see one in real life.

mamaKristin
06-07-2005, 07:13 PM
That one (the E3) sounds cool. I'm just worried the lower seat would ride too close to the ground...those darn high sidewalks here are so annoying. I have trouble with our current stroller's storage basket catching on them. I totally want to hear all about it if you see one in real life!

LauraK
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
I have the E3. I overall like it but for us we mostly use it as a single, since my 2 year old prefers walking. My 2 year old has never wanted to ride in back and my 8 month old is fine back there but rarely rides back there since my 2 year old usually walks. It worked well for us when travelling because we wanted to have a double in case we needed to run through the airport really fast. It does turn well. It folds down pretty small and is not that bulky. I like it way better than the Graco duoglider that I borrowed and like that it is not bulky. The strap system is not the best but it works. Hopefully they will improve it on future models. The sunshade could also be better (like the BOB jogging strollers, they have the best).

I would buy it again but mostly the extra seat does not get used or ends up being the diaper bag spot more so than a baby spot. In the end all double strollers have faults and I do like this one for our needs.

Gotta run....just wanted to give my 2 cents.

TheSweetLife
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for letting us know how you like it Laura! I put my name on the list at the closest store near us that is supposed to get some in this summer - I can't wait!