PDA

View Full Version : Slinging difficulties

Titus2:5Catholic
06-02-2005, 06:33 AM
I'm really trying to sling more- my DD loves it and I've always liked the concept behind it....I want to use it more for my baby, especially since he's getting too big (16+ lbs.) to carry around in the car seat carrier when we go to the store and stuff.

But I just cannot get comfortable with it. I've read tons of sites on how to position the baby properly, and I just can't get used to it. My back and neck always hurt, the sling digs into my neck, etc. I have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder...I've thought of getting a pouch style- woudl that be better?

kris10s
06-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Either a pouch sling or an unpadded ring sling should help. You could also try a two shouldered carrier, a lot of moms love their asian style carriers like Arwen's cuddle 'n carry for bigger babies.

BornFreeBaby
06-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I have heard that the OTSBH causes problems as they get bigger. I like my maya pouch for my 25 lb dd, but the ring sling is good too.
I also have a mei tai asian carrier that is very beautiful and easiest on my back, but dd won't sit still while I tie it around me, so the pouch is the easiest to get on in the parking lot of the grocery store. :tu Also I have heard many people swear by their Ergo carrier.

BeckaBlue
06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree, go to an unpadded ring sling

or a wrap, something that does both shoulders would probably be good

is he old enough for the hip carry?

Radosny Matka
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Our little ones are the same age, and about the same weight. I have a ring sling, a pouch, a mei-tai, and a wrap (yes, I'm addicted). I like all for different reasons. I only like my ring sling for the hip carry. The pouch also makes a great hip carry. My favorite right now is my wrap. It's the most comfortable.

06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
is he old enough for the hip carry?

No, not quite yet. He's only 5 months- my little breastfed chunker. ;) My DD is, though, and she is loving the hip carry. Haven't tried her on my back yet. We carried her in a backpack, but I started being afraid she could flip out of it the way she stood up in it. So I'm nervous to try the sling that way.

So I'm hearing a lot of votes for the Maya Wrap...I'll have to look for one on EBay or something. Don't really have a lot of money right now but this is important to me.

lasagefemme
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Sara.....don't give ebay your $$. Maya Wraps are VERY simple to make....and cheap. There are instructions on the Maya Wrap homepage. You can get the rings at Lowe's (brand name Hillman Fastener) Do not get the craft rings, like at Michael's, Joann's, etc...

Lisa

06-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Sara.....don't give ebay your $$. Maya Wraps are VERY simple to make....and cheap. There are instructions on the Maya Wrap homepage. You can get the rings at Lowe's (brand name Hillman Fastener) Do not get the craft rings, like at Michael's, Joann's, etc...

Are they "my only experience with sewing has been an uneven nine-block quilt patch" simple? I'm kind of nervous to trust a doll to anythign I've made, let alone my child....but maybe my MIL can do it. :)

MarynMunchkins
06-03-2005, 06:48 AM
If I can sew one, you can too. :D My sewing skills are pathetic. ;) I like Jan's instructions on www.sleepingbaby.net (http://www.sleepingbaby.net) The shoulder pleats are a lot more comfortable than the Maya style sling.

That being said, I really prefer my mei tei to the sling once my babes hit 15 lbs. It distributes the weight a lot better and is a lot more comfortable over long periods. :)

lovelymama
06-05-2005, 09:33 PM
But I just cannot get comfortable with it. I've read tons of sites on how to position the baby properly, and I just can't get used to it. My back and neck always hurt, the sling digs into my neck, etc.

I would suggest any sling with a wide shoulder. Some ring sling manufacturers make wide shoulders and/or shoulder cap flaps that keep the sling from slipping and digging into your neck.

A pouch has a wide shoulder as well, but you have to wear it correctly. I pull mine down over my arm so it is centered on the ball of my shoulder and the fabric is wide over my back. This way there is no neck strain at all for me.