PDA

View Full Version : newbie w/ Fuzzi bunz questions

BornFreeBaby
06-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Okay, I love cloth diapering and it's way easier than I thought! My FB's are easy, work great and I love them - but- :shifty last night dd wet thru them a little bit onto her clothes around 3am. I was surprised it wasn't soaked thru more w/ the amount of liquid on the inside pocket! She was wearing FB's stuffed w/ 1 hemp and 1 add in(microfleece?) and I got up and changed her and she went back to sleep. It seems like the cd's make her more aware of being wet (which is a good thing for pt'ing) and I'm thinking that I shouldn't be giving her the usual 2 bottles of milk at night anymore because its niagra falls after that! :giggle

but here's my question: How many inserts do you use at night? During the day? 2 hemp ? 1 hemp and 1 fleece? Anything else? :think

Also- do the FB's shrink at all in the dryer? I've been line drying them today but tempted to put them in the dryer... :/

TIA for your info.

milkmommy
06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
First off they will be fine going through a dryer its even recommended. They wont shrink.
As for a nighttime solution heres what worked for me. A microfiber towel like from WalMart wrapped around a hemp insert. the microfiber assorbs quickly but the hemp "stores"more liquid. One thing to consider is hemp takes a while to really break in, How mant times did you wash them prior to use? You can boil them for a bit to break them in.
ETA- I'm guesses your mixng up words but wanted to make sure your not stuffing with Fleece right? (like its not the same stuff as the soft pocket part is made of) just checking..
Oh and I use one microfiber insert from cotton babies during the day and though I ussually use a sposie at night (now) I can do the above and it works fine.
Deanna

BornFreeBaby
06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
First off they will be fine going through a dryer its even recommended. They wont shrink.
As for a nighttime solution heres what worked for me. A microfiber towel like from WalMart wrapped around a hemp insert. the microfiber assorbs quickly but the hemp "stores"more liquid. One thing to consider is hemp takes a while to really break in, How mant times did you wash them prior to use? You can boil them for a bit to break them in.
ETA- I'm guesses your mixng up words but wanted to make sure your not stuffing with Fleece right? (like its not the same stuff as the soft pocket part is made of) just checking..
Oh and I use one microfiber insert from cotton babies during the day and though I ussually use a sposie at night (now) I can do the above and it works fine.
Deanna

:clap Thank you so much for the advice. Last night I tried wraping the microfiber insert around the hemp insert and it worked! she didn't leak! :rockon
I did get my words mixed up- I'm new at all this so bare w/me! I washed & dried the hemp inserts 3 times on hot like the directions said, and I noticed that they were thicker after that. The first night I tried them I didn't wash the inserts, so that could have been why she leaked. I also need to change her more frequently now than w/ the sposie, but the thought of her sitting in those chemicals for 4 hours irks me anyhow. :tol

milkmommy
06-02-2005, 01:23 PM
The first night I tried them I didn't wash the inserts

Oh yea that explains the leak. Natural fibers like hemp or cotton (especially the unbleached) have a natural oil coating that must be removed, any diapers inserts you buy will need to be washed several times prior to use. Your hemp before wasn't assorbing the pee was just rolling right off. :P (Nice picture huh) good news is it will countinue to get more assorbent as its washed more :tu.

Deanna