PDA

View Full Version : vent - sis says co-sleeping is regressive

believer
05-28-2005, 02:42 PM
:banghead I was talking to my sister on the phone yesterday and I mentioned that I am still trying to get my 3yo dd to use the potty and my sister told me that her not using the potty is regressive behavior because she still sleeps with us. :banghead Just FYI - her son would not poop in the potty until he was 4 1/2.
I told her that potty use had nothing to do with where a child sleeps. :mad . My sister also thought I should not nurse in public and she put her babies on a strict bottle schedule and told me I nursed my children too long etc.... :hissyfit
Sorry - just wanted to vent.
I do not think co-sleeping has anything to do with potty training.

SingingPraise
05-28-2005, 03:06 PM
cosleeping has nothing to do with potty learning (not training either lol)

My first dd coslept til she was 2 and i potty trained her (i didn't know any better) at 14 mos old.

My second dd still partially cosleeps at almost 5 and potty learned mostly on her own by the time she was 3 (started at 18mos)

My son is 22months and partially cosleeps and has no interest in the potty , tho he does like to play with the tp.

Um. Yer sister needs to read some books. there is no correlation between bfing, cosleeping and potty learning.

:) hang in there mama. You're doing just fine

chelsea
05-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Grrr, the reason that comment gets to me is because it is something that could have easily been said by certain people I know! :rolleyes Hang in there, and don't take these silly comments to heart! If your sister is just saying it to bug you or "prove a point", then deep down she knows she is wrong. And if she is serious...then she has been seriously misled!

Radosny Matka
05-28-2005, 07:08 PM
:doh That is the most absurd thing I have heard all week! :hug I'm sorry your sister was attacking you. :hug

nutmeggmama
05-30-2005, 12:01 AM
:rolleyes
:hug
Sorry you had to listen to that
:hug
my 3 yo potty trained late, but personally, I wonder if thats cause I kicked him out of the bed before he might have been ready? :shrug
My just moved out 3 yo daughter used the potty on her own at about 26 months, and was moved out of the bed two months ago.
Every child is different.
Vent away mama! :hug

boonpnutsmom
05-30-2005, 01:11 AM
All of our children still co-sleep and our oldest is 8, he by far took the longer to toilet train but he did and it had absolutely nothing to do with where he sleeps. Our DD toilet trained herself, gave up her paci and started preschool all in one weekend. Co-sleeping gives them security so if anything I have seen that cosleeping had made other major developments easier. So sorry you sis has caused you heart ache :hug.

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2005, 10:44 AM
wow--what would she say about my cosleeping 2yo ripping off his diaper and not going back :shrug

MarynMunchkins
05-30-2005, 10:59 AM

2sunshines
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM

Yea, that's my response too...

Spirit of the Home
06-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Is that rumor still out there :td
many years ago I was blessed to have a HELPFUL neighbor that assured me Crystal would not potty train or talk well till she was off the bottle. When she was 16 months she wanted to use the bathroom toilet like me and in one week she figured it all out [ I only supplied the little potty seat and the encouraging words,] she only had now and then accidents at night from then on. At 18 months she was talking like an adult and when I talked with my neighbor and she repeated her advice I told her Crystal was already potty trained-and talking well. She wanted to know when she gave up the bottle, I informed her she hadn't. She was upset at me that I messed up her theory.
You are blessed to have a place to vent :grouphug.
Believer, I agree with Singingpraise, In the past when women said things that were not factual we recommended great books to read, ie, wow that is interesting that you say that because there is this great book to read on just that subject and it is "such and such, whatever it is".then we would tell them where it is available. [the only problem is nowadays anyone can write a book and there is every idea imaginable praised as gospel truth] Just when you read the real truth it just makes you feel like you have come home :-)
What does your sister think was the cause of her sons similar experience. I think sometimes people say things without even thinking[oops am I looking in the mirror :banghead]
Anyway hang in there God has great plans for you. :candle
Karmen

believer
06-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Thank you all for the support. It is nice to have a place to vent about this kind of thing here. Ya'll are a terrific group of moms and I have learned a lot here and gotten lots of support. :heart I really appreciate ya'll. :hugs