PDA

View Full Version : aio cloth diapers - pockets now??

mamatia
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
hello all!! i am finally thinking of switching to cd!! my dd is 18 months old, and the thought is a little overwhelming, but after some research i thought i would start with a few aio's, use them along with sposies until dh and i get the hang of it and then branch out from there. i hear aio's are much easier for a toddler than they are for babies (probably because they just don't go as much!)

does anyone know where i can find some reasonably priced, GOOD aio's?? i have found some cheap ones, but they have horrible reviews. i really want my dh to get on board (he is just indulging me for now..), so i really want our first dipes to be easy to use, no wicking, no leaking, etc. i want to be able to say, "look, this isn't really any harder than using disposable and they are working great" to which he'll say, "you're right! let's get online and REALLY spend some money now!!" lol

i have been looking at jeallybean diapers. i can get 3 for $28 and i hear she has free shipping for mdc members, although i have yet to have that confirmed. does anyone have any opinions on these?

thanks for your info - i am counting on your cd veterans to help get me through this!! lol :cool

iplsmama
05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I just bought some littlelambs AIO's off e-bay. They had mixed reviews and I was nervous but they were so cheap, like $5 each and cheap shipping that I went for it and I love them!! My ds has slept in them several times and I have only had like two leaks. I am also a fan of Bumkins AIO's but the littlelambs are super soft even after line drying. I don't know about the ones you asked about. HTH

mamatia
05-26-2005, 02:07 PM
i was going to order the ll, but there were such bad reviews, i decided against it. i am willing to chance something like that AFTER i am a little more "well-versed" in the area of cd, kwim?? thanks, though!! i'm glad they are working out for you!

tia

MarynMunchkins
05-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I have the Little Lambs for Colin. :) I didn't like them at all when I first got them. :( They wicked terribly.

But, now that I've had them for 6 months, I love them. :tu I don't have any problems with them wicking any more. Part of it is that I have them broken in. The other issue is the snaps. Colin has fat thighs and a skinny waist, and the LL have 3 snaps for the thighs, and only 2 for the waist. So they were gapping and wicking at the waist. What I've done is to just change the way I snap them. I snap the bottom snap to the top row, and than stretch the top snap over the top and stretch it to the 3rd thigh snap. (Clear as mud? :lol) It's solved the problem.

I'm actually thinking of ordering more, because Colin is done lying still for prefolds. ;) I would think that buying them used would actually help them work better than buying new because of the breaking in. :) hth.

kris10s
05-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I really like Bum-Ware AIOs. They are trim and simple and as much like a disposable as you can get.

www.bum-ware.com

wuzzie
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Bumkins are probably the best know and best working AIO's out there. You may need a doubler for a toddler because even though they pee fewwer times in a day, they pee out more fluids. They are kinda pricey, but really are some of the best redilly available ones out there.

mamatia
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
now i've been thinking aio pockets might be a better way to go. i have yet to hear anything bad about Fuzzi Bunz. i have heard that HH's patterns wick a little, but that the solids are okay. would you all agree with those statements? i am going to read the "your fav dipes" sticky, but what are your alls fav pockets? do you like pockets? i have been told they are even easier than regular aio's in a lot of ways, and they actually keep the baby drier because of the fleece on the inside, and you can put the bulk where you need it so they tend to be a little trimmer.

what do you all think?

mama2mychildren
05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I prefer the pockets because I can customize the stuffers for the absorbancy I need. AIO's were never absorbant enough for me.

I have the HH solids and havent had a problem with them. I prefered them over FB because they were velcro closures which for us give a better fit then the snaps on FB. I think they were cheaper at the time I bought them too?

LauraK
05-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I love pockets. I have had no wicking with hh or fbs. In general prints will wick more than solids because of how the laminating is done. Neither wicks for us but I only have a 7.5 month old in dipes and I use mostly large FBs. I think FBs have higher resale than HHs. If you buy a dozen FBs with free inserts from cottonbabies.com (or some other website) you could probably resell them for 10-11 a diaper on e-bay if you found they did not work for you and would be out almost no money (you'd actually still probably save money even if you just used them a couple months). I bought most of my FBs used off the swap-n-shop here and from the trading area at diaperpin.com.

One other thing my dd has a great looking bottom since I switched to cloth. I started with prefolds and covers with a fleece liner. Then realized I loved pockets. Then she was having leaks at night with her in a disposable at night, so switched to a well-stuffed FB at night and I don't have leaks and her but looks great.
I was so tentative to try and I did end up spending too much because I kept trying different types of diapers. I personally wished I had just bought pocket diapers to start with. If you do sew there is also a fuzzy bunz like pattern that is on the internet that I could send you. It looks pretty straightforward but I don't have any time or a sewing machine so I just bought mine!

People love Wonderoos too because they are one size fits all but the seem harder to find and some people find them tight at the legs for big chubby babies like mine so I went with the FBs.

Hope it goes well!