PDA

View Full Version : Did the Clarkson's raise their kids punitively?

DogwoodMama
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
I read this on another message board... this is the claim, that the Clarkson's were punitive... I would not be surprised to hear that they spanked (I believe I have heard that before), but does anyone know to what degree they took it? Just curious... I just read their writings, and they seem so gentle, I find it hard to believe that spankings were a MAJOR part of their parenting, like what they hung their hat on, if that makes sense...

Mothering by Heart
05-19-2005, 09:25 AM
From their writings, I got that they were more on the punitive side, but they seemed to have a lot of grace toward their children. I think they did spank, but as a last resort.

In one book, _Seasons of a Mother's Heart_ Sally related a story about telling her son he needed to get his jacket for a walk they were taking. He refused so they went on the walk. Of course, he got cold, and she said,(not exact quote) "C'mon, let's walk back together and get your coat, then we will finish our walk"

Leslie
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't know much about what their parenting was like before, but they seem to have made a conscious decision to change somewhere along the line.

greenemama
05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
i believe that they spanked their older kids but not the youngest. he always felt weird about it and had a "revelation" about discipline later on in his parenting years. that's the testimony in a nutshell in "heartfelt discipline."

ArmsOfLove
05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
They were punitive and adovcated spanking as fulfilling the command in the rod verses until Clay did actual exegetical study on the verses. "Heartfelt Discipline" retracts their earlier teaching and teaches against spanking young children and they have re-released "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" to reflect their new understanding of things :heart

Katiebug
05-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I love them :heart

4blessings
05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Hmmm...Now I want to read their books. Sounds interesting.