PDA

View Full Version : Any one hear Dr. Laura on Scheduling a baby today?????

mom2threePKs
05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
It was in the first half hour of her show today 5/5/05 (how cool is that date. A friend of mine says 5 symbolizes God's grace in the Bible and today is the only day this millenium that is 5-5-05...Back to your regularly scheduled programming...) a mom called in and said her four month old was 2 months preemie and all she did was eat and eat and change diapers and eat and eat and how did Dr. Laura feel about putting a baby on a schedule?

What did Dr. Laura say??????

The gist.....

DL: Are you kidding, woman???? That's what baby's do!!! They eat when they're hungry, they poop and they pee. They aren't supposed to be convenient and putting them on a schedule to make them convenient for you is WRONG!!!!! how would you like it if someone told you when you could eat, when you could poop and when you could pee? Really? How would you like it???

The woman concedes that Dr. Laura has a point.

DL: Are you breastfeeding?

Yes

DL: Well then just whip out the boob when she's hungry!! There's no reason for you to be tied to the house. Pack some diapers and get out of the house. You don't have to tote formula around and bottles. You're all she needs!!! When my son was a baby he went everywhere with me. i had one of those front pouch things I'd put him in and off we'd go. Baby's hear your heartbeat and it it like an illegal drug or something, BAM they're asleep. Really. Just get out of the house.

So you think I should just breastfeed her if I'm out?

DL: Of Course! You can't leave her. She has to be with you. You're the milk machine!! Trust me in tenyears you will long for these days. Enjoy her. She' so little. She doesn't need a schedule. She just needs to be with you.

It was a beautiful thing! DL started out pretty firm about no schedules but ended up sounding like a LLL leader or something! It made my day! :lol

Magan

OneSillyMommy
05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Dr Laura Rocks! :highfive :tu

schoolofmom
05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
:lol That's so cool! Dr. L's a pretty strong breastfeeding advocate. Once I heard her tell a lady not to get a (non-medically necessary) breast reduction because of the chance she wouldn't be able to breastfeed future children. I thought that was great.

GotMyHeartFull
05-05-2005, 02:57 PM
awesome! How can I find out if she's on in my area? Does she have a website?

sadie
05-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Wow!! :tu :tu :tu :tu

I never liked her before, but this is great to hear! I guess I have to modify my opinion of her. ;) :lol

BeckaBlue
05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow!! :tu :tu :tu :tu

I never liked her before, but this is great to hear! I guess I have to modify my opinion of her. ;) :lol

I second that!

Iarwain
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
I dunno why, but reading her response above made me all weepy. I think the mainstream world needs to hear more of this and it's so good to hear it coming from Dr. Laura.

I used to listen to her program all the time. Sometimes I liked what she had to say and sometimes I didn't but I always felt validated as a mom after listening to her. She puts such a high value on motherhood and a part of me really needs to hear that. The station I listen to stopped carrying her program quite a while ago, but she was always very open about how she tried to nurse her son and it didn't work out and she wished it had (I don't know the specifics of why). She is very pro-bf and specifies that bf and the nurturing instinct is why mom should always be the one to be home with a baby for the first year (after that she doesn't feel it's as important whether it's mom or dad as long as it's a parent) and that babies are biologically designed to need their mommies.

Maggie
05-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Awesome! :mrgreen

BluegrassMama
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Not always a Dr. Laura fan, here, either :grin but I wish I could just holler that at some people! I have wanted to just scream, "What's the matter with you! Feed your baby! :hissyfit "

larwain, I think you're exactly right. Can't do the quote thingy properly, you said, "I think the mainstream world needs to hear more of this and it's so good to hear it coming from Dr. Laura."

chelsea
05-05-2005, 10:07 PM
:tu to Dr Laura!!!!

SueQ
05-06-2005, 03:40 AM
How can I find out if she's on in my area? Does she have a website?
http://www.drlaura.com/main/

That is so cool! I have mixed feelings about her. I often agree with what she says but don't like how harsh she is with some of her callers. I did really like her book, "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands."

happy2bmama
05-06-2005, 07:36 AM
That's great! I'm not a HUGE Dr. Laura fan but I DO like that she's speaking out against scheduling babies!!!! :clap

Dizzy Blond
05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
That is so cool! I have mixed feelings about her. I often agree with what she says but don't like how harsh she is with some of her callers.

ITA!!

Great for Dr. L for telling that woman how it is!!!

purplerose
05-06-2005, 04:39 PM
:tu :tu :highfive :tu :heart :amen

AprilBr
05-07-2005, 08:32 AM
:tu :amen :woohoo :praise :jump and another big WOOHOO!!!

findingjoy
05-07-2005, 11:52 AM
:clap That's really cool! I haven't listened to Dr. Laura much, but I have always respected her matter-of-factness. Glad she spoke up on this topic.

mamahammer
05-07-2005, 07:49 PM
That's interesting. I tuned in last year to a show with a mother of 2 children - 4 mos and 4 years. The 4 yr old had been invited to a birthday party, but the father of the birthday boy had called the mom to tell her that she may not nurse her 4 month old at the party. So, she called Dr.Laura and asked what she should do. Dr Laura told her that she needed to go w/her son and bring a bottle for her baby :/ She said Men in general do not/cannot see breasts as "Bags of Milk" and that women should never just go around nursing any darn place they please :banghead She went on to say that she nursed her son, but only did so in the privacy of her own home because she is a decent, modest, religious woman :mad Since then, I haven't really tuned in. That made me sooo mad! As if my modesty, decency and spirituality are called into question by the act of nursing my children when they are hungry and/or in need of comfort :td

chelsea
05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
I can't believe someone would actually call and tell a woman that she may not nurse her baby in their home. But the same guy probably has no problem seeing women in public strutting around in skimpy clothing. It's a disgrace! It would be like getting annoyed that someone chewed their food too loudly and demanding that they puree their food and drink it from a bottle so you would not be "uncomfortable" around them. :banghead