PDA

View Full Version : Dispose of Disposables Completely?

4LovesMom
05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Our newest baby is two months old tomorrow, and I just set up our changing table in the laundry room to start CDing! (About two and a half months ago I enjoyed reading what different setups everyone had for all their CD supplies, and just came up with this arrangement today - I won't have to walk far to empty the pail into the washer!) So tonight we begin again. I'm really just wondering how many moms use ONLY CDs ALL THE TIME?? Like, you never buy sposies? I feel like if I'm going to all this effort, It'd be nice to really get the most for my money. When we used CDs with our firstborn, I still bought disposables for going out, overnight, etc. Is that what most do? If it's practical/possible (read: other people do it!) I think I could make it work.

Larissa
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I do cloth for everything. Overnights, outings...whatever the case may be. I think it's very practical to do it all the time. I havn't found that I need disposables for anything special that we do. I use fuzzibunz pocket diapers for overnight, and I use cotton fitted diapers for daytime. If we go on an outing, I will often put a doubler in his diaper...or put him in a pocket diaper. It works well for us!

AmyDoll
05-02-2005, 05:41 PM
It's totally possible - if you don't have sposies you won't use em. :P

Make sure you have an overnight diaper that you really love and that works well for you. And a plan for stinky dipes when you're out. I have a couple totes that I take with me and I double wrap dirty dipes in grocery bags before I stick em in the totes.

xoxo Amy

milkmommy
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
From the time we started using cd full time at 3 months till she was 30 months I used cloth full time including nights and outtings my DD is at the end weight range for her diapers and so too musch added and I can't fasten them. I can't afford to buy new diapers so were using dd a night right now. I use dri bottoms or huggies regulars at that time.

Deanna

BeckaBlue
05-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree w/ who said if you dont have em, you wont use em!!I use all cloth w/ ds usually, but when i buiy sposoies for him i end up usin them at night and while were out, so i try to avoid them at all. i still buy sposies for dd2, she doesnt use cloth much since she's too big for an investment in dipes imo, :lol

I always try to keep 1 extra cover and 2 extra diapers in the van, I keep some of dd's sposies in there too and if nik runs out, i've still got those i can use, but since they're too big really for him i don't use em unless ive got to

:pray (this courtesy of dd1 :smile )

DogwoodMama
05-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't have any disposables in my house. :)

I have used them on a trip before, but when we got back I gave them to a friend b/c I just didn't need them and figured she'd outgrow them before our next big trip anyway!

mamahammer
05-02-2005, 07:32 PM
We use cloth dipes pretty much exclusively. The only time we have bought disp dipes in the past two years has been for out of town vacations that don't allow us access to a washer/dryer. We went on a company sponsored trip to Hawaii last year when Thomas was 11 months old, and we used dips dipes. It was either that, or bring dirty dipes home with us on the plane :P

Iarwain
05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
My last three have been all CDed all the time. I think it is easier to just do it rather than switching back and forth. Once you get used to it it's no biggie.

ServantofGod
05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
I have come to prefer cloth almost all the time. But sometimes sposies work out better. I use sposie when we go to our beach house. A few times, I have taken the cloth dipes and pail, but it's so much to pack and I feel like we pack half the house to begin with.

But if you want to be a purist, you can. I think disposable diapers stink like chemicals, so when I use them I'm a little grossed out by the stink, especially once they are wet. Always thought that was kind of ironic; people think of cloth diapers as stinky, but I think sposies stink to high heaven.

This Busy Mom
05-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I haven't used a sposie in over 6 mos. I just use prefolds with covers and trifold one as a heavy doubler during the night (she is a big time heavy wetter).

4LovesMom
05-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Thank you for all the encouraging feedback. I look forward to doing this, and all the tips and hints are so helpful too. I really appreciate it, and here we go!!!.....

Radosny Matka
05-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm another one without disposables in the house. I use pocket diapers. At night I make sure they are absorbant enough. I have little wetbags (they fit about 3 medium diapers) that I bring along in my diaper bag for dirty diapers when we are out and about. :D

4LovesMom
05-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm another one without disposables in the house. I use pocket diapers. At night I make sure they are absorbant enough. I have little wetbags (they fit about 3 medium diapers) that I bring along in my diaper bag for dirty diapers when we are out and about. :D
Did you make them or buy the little ones? If you bought them, I'd love to hear where. And here's another little silly detail question - how much upsizing do you have to do? Already, my baby is big (see her posted birth story) and then the CDs make for an even bigger bottom. I'm wondering if I may need even a bigger diaper bag. Maybe more of a tote rather than the backpack style I have? Okay, now I'm just sorta thinking out loud - but thanks for indulging me...

MoongardenMama
05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I think disposable diapers stink like chemicals, so when I use them I'm a little grossed out by the stink, especially once they are wet. Always thought that was kind of ironic; people think of cloth diapers as stinky, but I think sposies stink to high heaven.

It SO agree!

We use only cloth. The only time that I would anticipate that we wouldn't is if we were going on a trip that exceeded three days and I couldn't wash. It's amazing how easy cloth becomes after awhile! I think it's important to have not only a changing table system that's comfortable for you, but also a going out system. In the diaper bag, aside from the extra dipes, I've got a wool changing pad, wool wet bag, and a small pouch with a spray bottle full of wipe solution with my cloth wipes. I find that if I'm not set up this way - the whole idea of going out in cloth can be very intimidating!

DogwoodMama
05-04-2005, 07:03 AM
OK, now I feel kinda weird. I've always been very simplistic in my diaper bag, I don't drag half the stuff other moms deem necessary. For regular errands/outings (2-3 hours) here is what I take now...

-1 extra diaper
-Dirty diaper ditty that friend made for me
-1-2 washcloths (in case of poopy, and would throw them in with the dirty dipe.)
I change her standing up on the changing table usually, so she can see what is going on. :rolleyes :lol

Here is why... my dd is older, and she usually stays dry while we are out & about and has not pooped while we were out in like, a year or more! :) I would say maybe 1 in 4 times that we go out I would have to change her.

I think the "newborn" period is definitely the toughest with cloth, just because newborns poo/pee soooo much. But I've found it really quite easy with an older baby/toddler! :tu

mamahammer
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, when we go out, I usually bring one extra dipe, some pre-wetted wipes (for poopies and/or cleanups) and a small wetbag. I'm sure that will all change with this baby girl on the way :lol

Jeanette
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
When we did diapers, it was cloth all the way. For day trips, cloth, and for some several day trips we brought cloth. For some long trips though we used disposables. That was only twice though.

RosieTook
05-04-2005, 04:57 PM
We cd exclusively too. I had a bunch of sposies left over from when I was waiting for enough cloth to cd all the time and I gave them away to a friend of mine. I hadn't used them in almost 4 months anyway. I use fitteds and wool or covers during the day and FB's stuffed real good for nights. And we use pockets or AIO's for outings...usually I can take one pocket in a diaper bag...they are great for longer trips cause they keep the baby comparitively dry.

It's totally possible to cd 100% of the time and definitely worth it. We hope to never use a sposie again on any of our future children. :tu

PrincessMommie
05-12-2005, 08:55 PM
We are 100% exclusively cloth diapered here :)

canadiyank
05-12-2005, 09:36 PM
We use cloth at night but 7th generation sposies when we go out...