PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a baby trekker?

kiloyd
05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I've been reading the posts here about back carrying. I've been interested in a baby trekker. I used the Snugli for DS and liked it on my back. And DD is 6 mo and I've put her on my back twice in the Snugli, but wonder what would be more comfy.

Any one use a Baby Trekker and an Ergo or know the difference in them?

Thanks,
Katherine

2sunshines
05-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a baby trekker but have no experience with the ergo so I can't be of any help with comparing... :shrug

kiloyd
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
How do you like your baby trekker? And what age child do you use it for? I'm looking at getting one for my 6 mo. old.

Thanks
Katherine

2sunshines
05-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I really like our baby trekker. My sil used hers all the time when her baby was a newborn. I tend to use it when the kids are a little older, like around 4 months (I prefer the sling when they are younger than that) and still use it with my 2 yo.

Iarwain
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I meant to respond to this before when I saw it but forgot. Please keep in mind as you read this that I own or have tried way more baby carriers than any one human being should have experienced and I tend to feel like there's always room for one more. I have certain carriers that I use for certain activities (pouch sling for church or shopping when he's awake, ring sling for nursing or napping, padded ring sling for long days, Trekker for housework, pretty rebozo or velvet sling for dressing up, etc... It's OK you can laugh at me. :mrgreen)

I really like our Trekker. I've used it for two kiddos now. I use it mostly for a back carry and mostly for 6-9 mos and up to two or so. Noodle is 16 mos now and loves it. I like that I can face him in or out depending on what kind of mood he's in and I like that it is soft and comfy and padded. I love wraps, but when they're over 20-25 lbs I really prefer some padding if I'm going to wear them for a long time.

I did use it for my morning walks when Lemur was 3-6 mos or so because it was so easy to put him on my front and zip my jacket up over him, but really I like my knit wrap better for that and in general I prefer a sling with a really little one.

For older babies/toddlers I like that the Trekker is VERY secure if you have a wiggler. Noodle is one who doesn't take to back carries in a wrap well because he's always trying to squirm out when he gets bored so I'm glad that he can't do that with the Trekker.

I don't know too much about the Ergo other than having seen a friend's, but one thing I wonder about it is how well it supports the head/neck if your munchkin falls asleep.

kiloyd
05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for responding. I did get to try a friend's baby trekker briefly at our LLL meeting last week and liked it for the 5 min. I used it.

I wasn't laughing at you about all the carriers you have had or tried. I would love to have more! I was just thinking that I don't NEED the trekker, I have a frame pack that DD should be able to go in in a couple of months. I'm just not liking the Snugli as well this time, i think because DD wants to face out and I always had DS faced in on the front.

I really need something for carrying her in at the barn. I actually managed to feed the horses with her in the Maya Wrap the other day. I have tried a wrap too, but she doesn't like it very much.

Thanks for your help,
katherine

Iarwain
05-21-2005, 05:12 PM
I really need something for carrying her in at the barn. I actually managed to feed the horses with her in the Maya Wrap the other day. I have tried a wrap too, but she doesn't like it very much.

Oh, I think it would be great for that! I have a frame pack too. (I know you said you weren't laughing, but go ahead I know I'm nuts with all the carriers.) Honestly I don't like it much. It's hard to manuever and I'm always banging the frame on things when I turn around too close to the wall. It's also harder to do bend and reach kind of things with it. I don't use it often, mostly when Noodle really, really wants to be able to see what I'm doing. He likes to peek over my shoulder sometimes. I was going to get rid of it but DH said he likes it (although he never uses it) so we kept it. Another reason I prefer the trekker over the frame pack is that I like to be able to feel where my baby is and to have the close contact of him up against me. :heart That and they always pull my hair when they're in the frame pack, it's just too handy. :/

Maybe I need to take pictures of my collection.

kiloyd
05-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Oooohhh, pictures would be great!

I'm going to bid on a trekker on ebay.

Katherine

Iarwain
05-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I thought someone on here had one in the swap and shop forum??? I could be wrong.