PDA

View Full Version : help with sling..

momjis22
05-01-2005, 12:40 PM
i have never used a baby sling before. infact i was thinking that a sling and a baby carrier is all the same!!! :O...well i am 5"2' in height and my baby weights about 14lbs..so if anyone can give me some suggestions for a sling..i'd be happy to try it..
thanks

DogwoodMama
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I think just a basic "ring sling" would be great for you... there are a couple of options for you to consider...

-Padded vs. unpadded...
A padded ring sling would be like a NoJo or OTSHB, and it would have padding on the shoulder and along the rail...
An unpadded sling would function the same of course, but doesn't have padding so it's important to make sure you keep the fabric spread out for comfort. The unpadded is more easily adjustable, but I think padded slings are easier to "learn" and are good for babies who like to be more "upright" b/c it cushions their legs a bit.

Another option is "ring sling" vs. "pouch"... a pouch is usually not adjustable at all (though Kangaroo Korner makes adjustable ones!) and it is basically like a big loop of fabric, and you would buy it to fit you. It can also be good for first-timers because you don't have to adjust, just put it on and plop the baby in.

Both can be used in a variety of positions- if you baby isn't used to being in a sling my guess is that your baby would like either "tummy to tummy" where the baby sits in the sling facing you or the "kangaroo hold" where the baby sort of sits cross-legged in the sling facing out... later you can transition to the hip carry or even use it for a back carry!

I'm sure a lot of us can recommend specific brands of slings/pouches that we've had good experiences with, but I think it's helpful to think about what you would be most comfortable with... the padding & adjustability issue. :) Some "makers" I recommend are Hotsling for pouches, www.sleepingbaby.net for unpadded slings (though there are MANY talented WAHM's who could make you a great unpadded sling!) and Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (OTSBH) for padded slings... starting out I used OTSBH and really liked that, and now I use my Sleeping Baby sling primarily b/c it's light-weight and I like the pleated shoulder design. :)

HTH! :)

PrincessMommie
05-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I like my wise woman sling. :tu

mamahammer
05-04-2005, 06:09 PM
I would go with an unpadded ring sling (like a Maya Wrap or the like). Since I am on the lower end of 5 feet, as well, I have found that I need the adjustability of the unpadded sling in comparison with a padded sling :tu

GodChick
05-05-2005, 07:37 AM
:tol

i'm 5'1" and i've got the mayawrap (www.mayawrap.com) it's an unpadded ring sling, size small, and it works great because i can adjust it to fit properly, whereas other padded slings and carriers had baby down below my waist! :lol it's also nice in summer-- i live in a hot climate and padded slings were too hot.

hth :heart

KoalaMommy
05-11-2005, 03:15 PM
I like a moby wrap instead of a sling. It's one size fits all. Also, pouch slings come in different sizes. New Native is one I like and they tell you how to figure out your size. Maya wraps are high quality ring slings that come in fun colors (especially if you've done missions trips down to mayan areas, you'll really recognize the fabrics).

I'm 5'0" and I've found I have plenty of options. Really love that Moby wrap!!

This Busy Mom
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I am about 5'5" and liked the Maya Wrap for quite a long time. My baby's now well over 20 lbs and very long (taller than most 12 mo olds and she's almost 9 mos). I moved her into Amber Joy's sling and we're both happy. http://www.yesmaamslings.com/ Her sling is a bit more accomodating for a larger baby, and my dh can wear it comfortably, too, and he's around 6' tall. I found with the maya that as she got heavier, I was constantly having to readjust the fabric through the rings