PDA

View Full Version : Vent--MIL and cosleeping

traceyd
04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I really don't understand why cosleeping is such a big deal for some people. I'm going about my business, not trying to talk anyone into it, it works for my family, (and apparently for dh's cousins family), we don't complain about it (because we :heart love :heart it)--so what is the problem? Who are we hurting? This does not affect you in any way. Why must you try to shame people into thinking it is dirty or demented? I could go on and on but I need to stop now before I lose it. Really trying to keep my calm here, ugh! :banghead

kcasmama
04-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Dirty and demented?! Oh goodness. People have told us that we will "never be able to get her out of the bed," but I've never been accused of some kind of immorality. I hope your MIL will learn to keep her thoughts to herself-- maybe dh should ask her to.

mamahammer
04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I have been told more than once by my IL's that we are stunting Thomas' growth and independence :( He's 2, for goodness sake. How independent does he need to be? It's become even worse now that we are expecting our daughter in August. Everytime someone starts talking about how we are really going to have to get Thomas out of our bed and weaned from my breast before than, I just want to beat my head against a wall :banghead I just don't understand why anyone else even cares. It's our bed, and they are my breasts. If I were asking to borrow MIL's breasts to feed my child and their bed to sleep in, then it might be their place to say something :P

sadie
04-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I have been told it's sexually abusive by MIL. :( :( :( :banghead :banghead :banghead

ITU your frustration. :hug

traceyd
04-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Actually I need to clarify, I was so frustrated when I posted, it was mil's sister that was going on about it regarding her dil but mil sat there nodding along.... :mad

But there have been others suggest dd (who turns 5 in Aug) shouldn't be in bed alone w/dh or ds(who is 17 months). I understand their concerns but it isn't like that! Our bed is for sleeping..it's the other rooms in the house that dh and I have fun in. Think outside the box for a minute!! Or the bed in this matter, lol. ;)

. It's our bed, and they are my breasts. If I were asking to borrow MIL's breasts to feed my child and their bed to sleep in, then it might be their place to say something :P

hee,hee :laughtears :clap good one

Radosny Matka
04-30-2005, 05:55 PM
:hug That is frustrating!

chelsea
05-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I am a single mom and my son and I live in my parents basement, and during a "house tour" for some friends who were over for supper, the friend asked my mother where my son's crib was. When my mother told her him and I coslept, the very concerned friend told my mother that once a little boy is older than one year, a woman needs to be modest and co-sleeping is totally innapropriate. Good grief, what do people think goes on in a co-sleeping bed?!!! :banghead

AttachedMamma
05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Whenever anyone has made the remark "you'll never get her out of your bed" I've said, "Well, then it's a good thing we have a huge king bed so we can fit her husband in there too! :laughtears

cindi

Vipers_Princess
05-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Whenever anyone has made the remark "you'll never get her out of your bed" I've said, "Well, then it's a good thing we have a huge king bed so we can fit her husband in there too! :laughtears

cindi

:lol

Kaz
05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
People are revealing a lot about their own hangups I think. And its a threat to the way they brought up their kids to know someone does it different.

What could be more natural than co-sleeping? ?

jluvts
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I used to get SOOO many comments about this. Now I think everyone just refers to our family as some kind of weird little ultra-attached-gotta-be-causing-some-harm-because-thats-not-the-norm family. I am 22. I was almost 21 when we had ds and dh was 26. I think that added to the weird looks. When my ds was about 3 or 4 months old, people started to ask if I was going to slow down on nursing him (nursing him on demand, and boy are there many demands for it!). I kind of let it get to me for a couple of months. I didn't stop or slow nursing, but I started to offer solids. Everyone thought we were sick and crazy for co-sleeping. I think we heard all the comments available. I guess people have perverted minds to think that the only place we bd is in bed beside our son, when in all truthfulness, we only bd in our room when ds isn't in it! Boy are they going to have some stories about us when we have two in bed with us. People have pretty much given up trying to convince me I'm wrong, they have started attacking dh. He is so cute though, he is standing his ground too. One of his classmates was saying something about their baby screaming in the middle of the night and them not hearing it for a few minutes because he was in his room down the hall. My dh was stunned. He simply asked "You let your boy sleep across the house from you?!?!" I :heart :heart :heart my husband!

Soliloquy
05-11-2005, 08:36 PM

cindi

:roll That is sooooooo funny!

People are revealing a lot about their own hangups I think. I think that's true. Also, I think they're being genuine. They probably read somewhere that babies need to be taught independence. In the 50s, moms really were told they could sexualize their toddlers by BFing them or letting them see them w/o clothes on. So, I think some of them are just repeating what they read/heard.

Tracey--sorry you had to listen to that! It's hard!

malakoa
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
as far as possible, please try and ignore them. it's so hard when you're pregnant and emotional.

i get so tied up in stuff too - just imagine yourself a little duck with her ducklings and their nonsense is water flicking off your back....