PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules for freezing??

ballycastle
04-26-2005, 05:56 AM
I am almost 30 weeks pregnant and would like to start cooking/baking and freezing meals. Should I wait a few more weeks or can I start now? I am unsure of the rules regarding time allowed in freezer, for example is it 2 months, 3 months, etc...? I wouldn't want to go to all the work to freeze a bunch of meals if we have to eat them BEFORE the baby comes. KWIM????

Also are there certain food that should not be frozen? And what are things that freeze well?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sharon :)

Beyond Blessed
04-26-2005, 06:06 AM
I use a great freezer meal book that easily walks you through EVERYTHING you need to know. Frozen Assets - subtitled Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month by Deborah Taylor-Hough. How long you freeze depends on what you are freezing and whether or not you are using your freezer attached to the fridge or a stand alone freezer. Be prepared to have some of your first meals be flops! You may not like the blend of flavors or how it re-cooks. We learned a lot from our first month of cooking and altered a few recipes. Have a great time!

ballycastle
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
We have a freezer attached to the refrigerator. I did the meal freezing with the the other pregnancies, too. I just can't remember when I started it. I make a lot of casseroles and sauces and entrees to freeze. All tasted very good after a few months being frozen.

I guess I'm just anxious to get started, just in case I go early.....

Sharon :)