PDA

View Full Version : EC at 13 months?

kateb
04-22-2005, 04:48 AM
EC sounds like such a great idea. We didn't try when DS was little, for a whole bunch of reasons - mostly to do with other people's reactions to holding a tiny baby over a potty.

Well I'm older and wiser now and don't care what others think so much ;)

I realise that at 13 months I've trained him into thinking that his nappy is where he goes, but I would like to have a go now.

DS is in cloth nappies pretty much all the time (apart from holidays) so I know he can go quite a while between wees and poos. I've always taken him to the bathroom with me and make that pssss sound whenever I catch him weeing - as he's getting more vocal he's started occassionally making psss sounds at me - obviously because he's all wrapped up in nappy, wrapper, vest and trousers I don't know if at that point in time he's communicating to me that he's weeing.

Is it really possible to EC at this stage? What do EC toddlers wear? It will be quite cold outside for at least a couple of months so I can't let him run around with no pants on, does it matter if we can only do EC some of the time? Should I exchange his nappies for trainer pants?

Irene
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
http://www.white-boucke.com/reviews/latestarters.html heres a late starters article that might help

http://www.timl.com/ipt/ipt_links.htm some other articles ;)

I think if he is all bundled up it might be harder. a way to start may be to keep a sweater on him (if hes cold- in the house) and a diaper without a cover, that way you can tell he wet himself, but its not leaking all over the place ;) change him immediatly then take him to the potty and tell him something about peeing in the toilet. (whatever words you use normally)

My ds is 14 months and at 13 months he decided he wanted to stand and pee all the time. I would put him on the baby bjorn and he would arch his back and holler, so I thought, okay, maybe i was wrong, then he stood and peed :/ so now when he has to go I will stand him on the stool at the big toilet and he will go :D its pretty funny, but Im just saying take it easy, go with him, keep communication open and try not to make it negative at all. its a communication process :) good for you for going at it late :highfive

hth ?

MarynMunchkins
04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Irene, I never thought about having Colin stand up. :doh

He's been interested in the potty, and knows when he needs to go, but refuses to sit on the stupid thing. :rolleyes Maybe I could have Doug practice standing up with him...:think

Thanks for the idea! :D

Irene
04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
sorry I didnt think of it before when we were talking about it, until just last month when ds decided on his own. the funny thing is dh is very very private, so i dont think its copying or anything, I guess he just decided it was easier ? who knows :)

hope it works for you!