PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Mason book suggestions

Mamaka
04-20-2005, 09:23 AM
We've pretty much decided to follow a CM philosophy for homeschooing (though we're still probably a year or more away from seriously starting). I've been slowing working my way through the Ambleside website and been picking up a book here and there from the library about CM (so far liked the CM Companion the best). Those of you experienced with CM, what would your "must read" books be?

erinee
04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Im not experienced yet, but I'm using this method after this school year ends. "A Pocketful of Pine Cones" will give you a good idea of what nature studies look like. "For the Children's Sake" is another CM must-read. I definitely want to read "Educating the Whole-Hearted Child," by the Clarksons. You can also read CM's original series from the ambleside website. I printed volume I out and am reading it now.

Leslie
04-20-2005, 03:10 PM
You can't do any better than reading Charlotte Mason's books in her own words. At least looking at the summaries will give an idea what's in them. You can see those here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/CMSummaries.html

Besides those, my favorite CM books are The Charlotte Mason Study Guide by Penny Gardner (she uses quotes from CM's books to explain the method) and A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. I assume her second book (More Charlotte Mason Education) is just as good, but I haven't read it yet. I also liked For the Childrens Sake.

ChristineG
04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
:heart I LOVE the book, When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper. This is a very recent book and the one which our CM Study group has been studying for the past year. I find that it really helps me to understand some of CM's concepts in a very practical and modern way. I also wholeheartedly applaud the other suggestions, especially the one to read Charlotte Mason's original works. I steered clear of these for a long time because everyone kept saying how difficult they were to read. When I finally started to read them, I didn't know what the big deal was. I find it really funny that CM'ers often avoid Charlotte's original works, when so much of her philosophy stems around going to the original source and reading unabridged works! :) They are meaty, but aren't THAT hard and sooooooo worthwhile. :cup

Micah
04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Besides the original Homeschool volumes by CM I also like Companion by Karen Andreola.

Mamaka
04-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Thank you! These are great suggestions and are going on my reading list.

I've started working through CM's original works online... wow! such good stuff. :)

mzietlow
05-02-2005, 08:21 PM
We are unschoolers incorporating CM into our lifestyle, and after serious thought and research, I have come to the decision that ANY living book can be used to make a CM curriculum. Ambleside is a great place to go for ideas and suggestions, but the great thing about CM is the freedom it allows for real and joyful education. The key is to discover what a living book is.

Thoughts, anyone?

Leslie
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
ANY living book can be used to make a CM curriculum. Ambleside is a great place to go for ideas and suggestions, but the great thing about CM is the freedom it allows for real and joyful education. The key is to discover what a living book is.

Absolutely! The tricky thing is, the definition of a living book nowadays isn't always CM's definition. There's more to a living book than what children like. (The fact) "that children like feeble and tedious story books, does not at all prove that these are wholesome food; they like lollipops but cannot live upon them." Ambleside Online has an article about living books here:
http://www.amblesideonline.org/LivingBks.shtml

mzietlow
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Yup, loved that article and have it printed out for reference. I have always been somewhat discerning when choosing literature, but thanks to CM can now spot a living book right away. A library trip for us is an entire afternoon, because I take so much time flipping through books to make sure they fit the bill, plus I love to linger in the shelves for fun... Good books are my friends. :)