PDA

View Full Version : natural Laundry "Detergent"

jmom
04-19-2005, 07:12 PM
O.k. Ladies fess up... How do I wash clothes without using Detergent???? My daughter, son and husband all have bad skin (ezcema) and I have been using All free and Clear, and recently switched to Seveth Generation Free and Clear. But... :/ i just read that i'm supposed to stay away from Detergent which both of those are. Please help! I've read something on the old forum that made me remember that some of you have a formula for washing clothes.... I would love to have the recipe...

And BTW, if you need to move this, fine, I just didn't know where else to post this. And this gets lots of traffic.

Thanks!

booboo
04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
I don't know if this would work for you: just use baking soda. That's what we use when we run out of laundry detergent. We have pathetically sensitive skin in our house and we usually use Sun and Earth. (it smells like orange juice! yum!) I don't know if that's considered a "detergent" or not, but it's made with orange oil.

Sorry I don't know of any recipe that can help. :hug

wuzzie
04-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I use BioKleen and LOVE it.

milkmommy
04-19-2005, 09:14 PM
and we usually use Sun and Earth.
Ohh I used to LOVEthis stuff but I can't get it locally anymore :cry. I just bought some Alens Natural so well see how it does, I've used biokleen and really liked it also.

Deanna

TraceMama
04-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm using MelaPower from Melaleuca and LOVE it! It's the first time I've been able to use scented laundry detergent EVER!

Is there a specific definition for "detergent" that they're using? Maybe it includes certain ingredients that your current "detergent" does not. Just a thought.

lmgeenw
04-19-2005, 10:56 PM
I have literally tried 20 different kinds of detergent and everything causes problems for our allergic family some way or another. We use Country Save which has been wonderful. We have had no allergy problems with it. My only complaint is that is doesn't get stains out and pretty much everything has to be pre treated.

http://www.countrysave.com/

Lady TS
04-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Are you wanting to make your own laundry soap? I tried that last year but with our hard water it took a LOT of soap and I felt it was building up in my clothes...

If you are looking for a recipe, let me know and I will see if I can dig it up/find it online.

If I remember right, it takes soap(Fels-Naptha or Ivory), washing soda and something else...

Garnet
04-20-2005, 06:52 AM
yes, I think you're right Lady TS, and borax too.....a lady I know has a son who has very bad excema, and she uses soap flakes, like Dreft, for his clothes when they really need it, but otherwise she washes in cool water and baking soda? and pretreats with a diluted mix of baby shampoo.

Soliloquy
04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
We've had great success with Allen's Naturally. I think it is technically a detergent, but it's recommended for people with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). It's reasonably priced, I think. A 75-load box is about $20, when you add shipping. I usually use half the recommended amount, and if the load is really dirty I add baking soda. But, usually half the amount works fine. You can also run the rinse cycle twice.

Most detergents tell you to use more than you need, which is why there's always a residue in your clothes.

http://allensnaturally.com/

boonpnutsmom
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
We use Mela Power from Melaleuca it makes the whole house smell good and I have never known anybody yet to be sensitive to it.

Mamatoto
04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
You can use a few Tbsp. of Kirk's liquid castile soap and a couple Tbsp. of baking soda. Then you can add some lavender oil to a washrag and throw it in the dryer with the laundry to get it smelling good naturally.

LoveToReadMommy
04-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Maybe doing an extra rinse everytime would help.

I just switched from All Free and Clear to BioKleen. I love it.

DogwoodMama
04-23-2005, 08:46 AM
OK, where can you buy either BioKleen or Mela Power from Melaleuca? Do you *have* to order these on-line or has anyone found them at say, Whole Foods? Is it more expense to use these than Tide? (We get HUGE containers of liquid Tide from Sam's club, they last forever, b/c I usually use about half the recommended amount).

lmgeenw
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
I dont know anything about Mela Powder or Melaleuca, but I would rethink the bio-kleen. Biokleen has enzymes in it that can cause problems for people with sensitive skin. It gave my children rashes and it took me a long time to figure out that it was the detergent. Bio-kleen claims to be so good for allergies that I never gave it a second thought until I read somewhere that detergents with enzymes cause a lot of problems for people.

ShangriLewis
04-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Are you near a Trader Joes? They carry soapworks. It's wonderful and maybe that might work. It's soap based. I used to use it on all my diapers and it got them clean. Bi-O-Kleen claims are based on it not leaving a residue on clothes. I don't actually see any enzymes on the box. Maybe they use a different word. But, they do say there are enzymes in the bac-out. I love my Bi-o-kleen powder.

http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/laundry.htm

Have you seen Dr. Bronner's Sals Suds? I think I would just try baking soda and some castille soap and a few extra rinses.

Good Luck!

tonjab
04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Daisy Blue Naturals Introduces....

Daisy Breeze Laundry Soap
An environmentally friendly laundry soap, using the power of coconut-based cleansers to remove dirt and odor effectively. Refreshing natural citrus leaves clothes smelling fresh and clean. Concentrated formula will clean up to 64 washes

$18.50 64oz with 1 oz cup
$16 64 oz w/ out 1 oz cup

www.3305.daisybluenaturals.com (http://www.3305.daisybluenaturals.com)