PDA

View Full Version : Cracked lips

Marrae
04-12-2005, 01:57 AM
My son (10 yo) always, summer and winter, has cracked peeling lips. We have to use some kind of chapstick or something and that helps but it never goes away. We have been using Blistex but I have just looked at the ingredients :eek - Aromatic Ammonia Solution, Strong Ammonia Solution and Liquified Phenol.

So what would be better to use on him and how would we get rid of the problem completely? I am sure that he is a 'mouth breather' and that *may* be causing this. Thoughts????

boonpnutsmom
04-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Lansinoh is great on cracked lips and it's 100& Lanolin!!!

Marrae
04-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Oh, thanks! That does seem to be available here too (Scotland) although I'll have to decant it! My 10 yo shy sensitive son would freak at nipple cream being applied to his lips. :laughtears

2sunshines
04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Just a guess here, but I think that I would try upping his essential fatty acids. Cod liver oil and fish oil are great examples. I know that they make a huge difference in dry skin, so I'm assuming that it would be the same concept for dry lips. :)

Learninggentleness
04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I definitely agree about the cod liver oil - it helps skin a lot. For dry skin I can't give enough praise for this product though: Surgeon's Skin Secret. I buy it online at http://www.qvc.com/ Here's some information from their site about it:

Item Number L80653
2pc "Surgeon's Skin Secret" Revitalizing Moisturizer

QVC Price $17.75
Shipping and Handling $4.22
Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H. Click here for details.

Surgeon's Skin Secret all-natural, beeswax-based skin moisturizer was originally used by surgeons for post-surgical wound care. It contains no artificial colorants or fragrances and has a non-water soluble base so it won't easily wash off. Use it for dry hands, cracking feet, bleeding cuticles, or other dry skin problems. This set includes a 4-oz jar and a 1-oz jar, great for travel. Made in USA.

cobluegirl
04-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Lansinoh is great on cracked lips and it's 100& Lanolin!!!

I ditto this

flowermama
04-12-2005, 11:48 PM
We've used Lansinoh on our lips, too. It's great on lips that are super-dry.

olive oil and flax oil are good oils to try if you don't like fish or cold-liver oil. :)

and of course make sure he drinks lots of water! :)