PDA

View Full Version : XPost - prayers, advice needed for sleep deprived AP mama who can't cope well...

MySeoulChild
04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm to a point where I'm not coping. Peanut hasn't slept through the night in, oh, six months or so. She was sleeping through the night for a while, developed ear infections, then teething, and aaaaaagh!

So, the past week has been particularly bad. She isn't sleeping more than two hours at a time and with three other kids to care for all day (and homeschool, and a home, and a husband) things are just awful. DH and I are utterly stressed out, our frustrations are taking a massive tole on our patience and we aren't being as gentle or tolerant or kind as we need to be. It's all-consuming.

We are praying for patience and wisdom....and sleep! But, nothing seems to make it reasonable. Tonight we put the kids in the car and got drive-through because we're both just so tired and frustrated.

What can I do? MIL gave me the big CIO speech yesterday and FIL was going on and on about how "the baby is training you - our doctor said - and you just have to let them cry" I bit my tongue. Literally. Hard.

But, in all honesty, I don't know what TO do. DD side-cars in a crib and DD#3 sleeps in our bed (she's only 3 and has co-slept since she was a wee-nut peanut) and she does NOT like another sib lying next to her - especially a grabby-hand one year old who doesn't understand not to scratch or poke in the face. I'm not even sure if the baby would sleep in our bed, but then again, she doesn't sleep in HER bed, so what harm could it do, right? I just want to run crying sometimes. And it drives me nuts that I'm an experienced mom and have no idea how to fix this!!! Please help!

Lantern Light Mama
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
:hug

musicmama
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM

ArmsOfLove
04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
:pray

and since you asked, here is what I would do--pull her into the bed and have the 3yo on one side and baby on the other. Call an in-service day tomorrow from home schooling and sleep anytime baby sleeps. Let it be a video day if you have to. It's one thing to make sacrifices as a parent, it's another to become a martyr :(

How is dh doing with sleep? When he gets home can he watch the kids while you go to bed for a couple of hours?

blessedmama21
04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
from a mom with a 3-week old, a 19-month old that likes to get up at least once, and a FOUR year old that still gets me up at least 3 times a week my only advise is to nap when they nap ;)

Lois
04-11-2005, 06:07 PM
yeah, you being a loving mama, is more important then you being a "supermama" :eek

poetmom
04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
:pray

and since you asked, here is what I would do--pull her into the bed and have the 3yo on one side and baby on the other. Call an in-service day tomorrow from home schooling and sleep anytime baby sleeps. Let it be a video day if you have to. It's one thing to make sacrifices as a parent, it's another to become a martyr :(

How is dh doing with sleep? When he gets home can he watch the kids while you go to bed for a couple of hours?

This sounds like very good advice. When my middle one was small (birth to nearly 2) she was very high needs, wanting to be held ALL the time, and almost never sleeping. I only had a four year old at the time, and it was difficult at times for me, so I can't begin to imagine it with three siblings to care for. You and yours will all be in my prayers...give yourself a day off, and get as much rest as you can.

poetic mama
04-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Miss Priss
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
:tu to what Crystal said.
Make tomorrow a day where the kids learn how some other kids live their lives... PBS here they come... the couch to rest goes you!

wuzzie
04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
:tu to what Crystal said.
Make tomorrow a day where the kids learn how some other kids live their lives... PBS here they come... the couch to rest goes you!
This has been reciently too. :hug I'm there with you. My 20 month old is still up 2-3 times a night too. Go read my post over in the sleep forum, there is tons of good advice over there.

mummy2boys
04-11-2005, 10:58 PM
:tu to what Crystal said

and :hug