PDA

View Full Version : New parenting class at my church

Kat
04-10-2005, 11:11 AM
This will be a series that will last for maybe six weeks, and tonights' topic is about the importance of building a close bond with your child. :tuThis is being taught by the AP psychologist/church staff member that I told you about in my last thread. I am a bit nervous and not sure if I should attend. But maybe he will say something about the dangers of Ezzo, or encourage parents to read Dr. Sears or other AP authors.

Also, my pastor said something in his sermon today, that just as Christians need the milk of God's word to grow, babies need milk to grow as well, and they also need to be touched and cuddled, so they know they are loved. He said that new studies had come out saying that if babies' needs for nourishment and touch were not met, then they could die. :tu :)

Hmm... think maybe they are coming to a decision?? :)

ArmsOfLove
04-10-2005, 04:06 PM
sounds encouraging! :tu

mummy2boys
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Sounds okay....maybe you could go the first time and see what happens

Soliloquy
04-11-2005, 06:26 AM
how wonderful! This sounds very encouraging! I'm encouraging you to go. There may be questions/skeptics, and it always helps to have a "real" parent's perspective when a psychologist is speaking ;). Please let us know what happens.

Kat
04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Well, I went...

The material presented was a video, along with a book by Chip Ingram, entitled Effective Parenting in a Pefective World. The series lasts for about 6 weeks, and the workbook was about $6.00. The psychologist didn't say that much other than to present the video. Last nights session was good in that it did encourage parents to show unconditional love, and to not expect to be perfect parents with perfect kids. It showed that family dinner together was more important that going to soccer practice, ballet practice, gymnstics, etc, all the while eating Burger King every night in the car. I agree with this, although I do think some extra curriculum stuff is good for their development.. If I were a mom, though I might get this done while homeschooling, so it doesn't interfere with dinner. (Isn't that how you homeschooling mamas do it??)

But overall I felt uncomfortable being there in that I am not a mom. Also, there is one chapter in the workbook with the same old argument as to why spanking is Biblical. :rolleyes :( I cannot hear this or watch a video about this without getting emotionally upset. :cry

It IS better than Ezzo, but after I left I found a trash can and chucked the book. I think I will stick with Sears and Crystal, and any other gentle parenting author. ;) :)

Soliloquy
04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I agree, the book and class sounds like it's better than some, but still not about grace and discipleship in the home. Since you said the book has a chapter on spanking, I'm going to amazon right now to give it a poor review!

Thanks for posting about what happened!

Kat
04-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Lisa, thank you for going to Amazon. Maybe other churches who are looking to teach parenting classes, will read your review and think twice. :)

Hermana Linda
04-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I heard Chip Ingram give this series on the radio. It was mostly good, except for the spanking part. :doh I get so discouraged that almost all the preachers I enjoy on the radio seem to come out in favor of spanking at one point or another. I was totally shocked when Chuck Swindol did it. :wow He and John MacArthur both say things that make me think that they probably agree with Pearl. :cry

schoolofmom
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
He and John MacArthur both say things that make me think that they probably agree with Pearl.

Oh, yeah, John MacArthur has a quote on Ted Tripp's book about how wonderful and Biblical it all is. :banghead It made me want to say, where's the grace to the children, Grace to You guy? :rolleyes

Kat
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Sigh...John MacArthur supports spanking (when he also excommunicated Ezzo from his church), and Chuck Swindol as well?I just don't get it. :td

You know.. I really wonder if popular Christian leaders really understand the true Biblical teachings on this subject, but avoid speaking out on this as it would create a major church war, and threaten their reputation. :( :/

Remember when the submission issue caused a theological explosion in the Southern Baptist churches about ten years back, all over the country??? It was absolutely horrible, and I even remember some of my family leaving the Baptist church because of it, as did many other people. :(

I really wonder of the child discipline issue do the same thing.

shilohmm
04-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I really wonder if popular Christian leaders really understand the true Biblical teachings on this subject, but avoid speaking out on this as it would create a major church war, and threaten their reputation.

I think they don't understand the issues. John MacArthur, for instance, when he talks about how God punishes adult Christians - I've even seen him discuss the Hebrews 12:5-11 passage as a punishment, without ever pointing out that the Christians in question were not being condemned for sinning but were being encouraged to hold firm under persecution. :rolleyes I think most popular Christian leaders have never really thought about spanking and child rearing in general - most of the time when someone does comment on the original Hebrew or Greek in the various "child rearing" passages they get it wrong. :wow I can't count the number of times I've read that "na'ar" refers primarily to small children or toddlers, which is simply not the case and can be easily checked. :( Not, mind you, that I ever checked it for myself until a non-spanking Christian pointed out that it didn't. :blush

I totally think that when it comes to spanking, and to many child-rearing practices, a lot of Christian leaders - even leaders who're quite reliable on theological basics - rely on tradition, and NOT the Bible. :cry

Sheryl