PDA

View Full Version : Update about deciding to Homeschool Angela...

Heather
03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Okay, I posted about this a couple of weeks back.. but I finally got the written report from the doctor and thought I would share some of the results and his suggestions...

I'm just going to type it word for word here...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ADHD, combined type - mild primarily unattentive and impulsive
ODD - resolved, no rage episodes reported
Anxiety disorder (frequently combined with ADHD
Obsessions /compulsions and vocal tics
No motor tics
No diagnosis of ASD - Aspergers Syndrome

Review of school psych assessment 10/25/04 - At a chronological age of 7y 7m - normal range full scale IQ with superior perceptual reasoning and working memory in borderline range. Acheivement testing commeurate at early 2nd grade level - a little lower for language based learning. Significant adaptive deficits.

Plan -
1) discussed a number of educational options - public school, private school, home school. Angela will always be a difficult fit in institutional education because of her unique behavioural and learning style.
2) Continue Strattera - beneficial based on drug holiday last summer
3) Consider medical management of anxiety features in the future and monitor for onset of motor tics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay - I guess this really confims my suspicion that HS would be best for Angela. Especially the phrase above that said "Angela will always be a difficult fit in institutional education because of her unique behavioural and learning style."

Any suggestions here... Anyone see anything here that I should have? If this was your kids evaluation - would you homeschool? And since I probably will homeschool - any suggestions for curriculum based on the report?

I hope someone can help... I really feel lost here and have NO support about my decision. Most of my family is very negative regarding this. Any encouragement - anything???

Thanks ladies!

Mamatoto
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
If this was your kids evaluation - would you homeschool?

First, if this was my kids' evaluation, I would throw it in the trash and make sure that she (or anyone else) never sees it. :idea My dh just found some of his old evaluations from his past and nothing good can come out of listing deficits. Those lists just held him back from using his God-given creativity.

Second, I would definitely homeschool and make sure that her learning style and gifts were used to their absolute prime. I would affirm her wonderful traits every day and create a daily routine that she would thrive in. I would provide her with lots and lots of time outdoors. I would make sure that whatever path I chose for her that she would not feel deficit in anything but full of life and beauty and curiosity. (this is what I *am* doing for my dd btw since her evaluation might be similar ;))

Good for you for being open to teaching this wonderful child God has given to you!

Heather
03-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah... I agree that most evaluations are not worth much... but what I meant is where he said "Angela will always be a difficult fit in institutional education because of her unique behavioural and learning style."

He is a really good doctor and one of the few I would even listen to... That being said I do take some of the things he said with a grain of salt. I am glad that he affirmed what I believed that she does NOT have aspergers. And also that the ODD symptoms seem to have disappeared. (off note about the ODD - the symptoms slowly decreased then stopped shortly after I switched to Gentle discipline - Thank the LORD for you ladies here! )

Mama Bird
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
We are homeschooling our daughter because she has an anxiety disorder. Guess what? Once we got into homeschooling...she was able to go off her medication. She's been off since before Thanksgiving.

Public school was not a good fit for her. Her anxiety disorder makes her much more sensitive to things, and she seemed to just follow the crowd.

Since she came home, she has gone from "remedial reading" (in Kindergarten???) to being a very good reader.

Homeschooling was definitely the right choice for our little girl.

Heather
03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Yay! MamaBee - You don't know how good it makes me feel to hear someone who has btdt with lots of the same hurdles!

Just out of curiosity... I can't remember how old your DD is.. but what did you use for reading/english curriculum? (((HUGS)))

SandKsmama
04-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Heather,

My daughter has just gotten results from an evaluation as well - not quite the same as Angela, but some similarites...she scored really high on Inattentive, and then also really high on depression and low self-esteem. That combined with continued reports from her teacher about her not "fitting" with her classmates, and her differences causing her to be ostracized have cemented our decision to homeschool next year.

I really believe that given the opportunity to learn in her own way, and not having the pressure to "fit in" with 23 other kids will make *such* a big difference with Susannah. And I think you're doing the right thing by bringing Angela home too.

Blessings,
Amanda

Quietspirit
04-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Homeschooling has made a HUGE difference for our eldest son. :tu

Reva
04-02-2005, 11:18 AM
If this was your kids evaluation - would you homeschool? And since I probably will homeschool - any suggestions for curriculum based on the report?

Absolutely I would hs! I don't really have any suggestions for curriculum since I'm new at this hs'ing stuff. Good luck! :hug