PDA

View Full Version : A sling that doesn't pull on the shoulder

butterflyqueen71
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Maybe I'm wearing it wrong, but it seems that the heavier dd gets, the harder it is to carry her in an over the shoulder sling. It really pulls on my left shoulder, no matter what position. (I mostly use hip carry now). I feel like gravity is pulling all her weight from that shoulder. Even when she was little, it was uncomfortable. I'm "left shouldered"...I have a hard time using a sling over the right one. Also, I'm a violinist so that could be part of the trouble...that's the side I hold my instrument on. The sling I have now is padded, but I think it's too big...which could also be part of the problem.

Anyway, I'm exploring different sling options. Are there ones that don't pull so hard, or adjust differently? I'll have to check my other thread, maybe there's a link that answers this question. :) Am I not properly distrubuting the weight over my shoulder? I studied the pictures, and as far as I can tell, I'm doing it right. I would probably use the sling more often if not for this. :( Maybe I just need to switch sides... :shrug Thanks!

MarynMunchkins
03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Colin is about the same age, and I don't like using a one shoulder sling any more. :neutral It hurts my shoulder too.

I made a mei tei, and I :heart :heart :heart it! It's really comfortable, and it looks so cool. I really need to take a picture of Colin in it. (Or Ana...she likes to ride in it too.)

lenswyf
03-25-2005, 04:41 AM
I agree on the being too big part. A padded sling has to fit correctly since you cannot tighten it beyond the padding. If baby hangs too low, mom will be uncomfortable.

You could try to find the same thing in a better size. Or you might want to switch to a wrap style such as the Ellaroo Wrap (https://www.naturalfamilyboutique.com/shop/Products/5090.aspx?maryc) that I sell. It has no weight limit, which is a perk, and it's very versatile. But more importantly, you have lots of flexibility for where you position the child for your comfort, and you can wear it over both shoulders so that weight is evenly distributed.

butterflyqueen71
03-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow, that EllaRoo looks great, but $75! :eek I'm sure it's worth it, but it's not in my budget. :( What is a mei tei?

milkmommy
03-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I think the trick is to have the fabric waide and not bunched up on the shoulder. Like my hotsling is unpadded in the shoulder (padding is in the legs) I'm about 185lbs so not at all a small gal with 40H boobies :lol I'm slinging a 30lb toddler and as long as the fabric isn't bunching its VERY comfortable. I also have a padded sling and honestly The hotsling is more comfortable.

Deanna

churchpunkmom
03-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Where are you placing the fabric? :think Do you have it draped around your shoulder or up higher (between shoulder and neck)? Also make sure she is high enough and that your sling is tight enough. That could make a huge difference. I have an Ella Roo that I bought from Colleen (kindred spirit) - I love it! :tu You might also check www.peppermint.com they have a huge selection and variety of carriers.