PDA

View Full Version : HSing more than one

Winkie
03-24-2005, 07:54 AM
When you have more than 1 child, does each have their own curriculum? Or do you do things with them together? How does it work in your home?

Sara
03-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Wendy,

If my children were closer together (and it looks like yours are) I would definitely consider doing something like FIAR or Sonlight (and I know there are others available - those are just the two I am familiar with) for the basics and then doing separate math and language arts programs at their own level. To me, that seems like it would work better than trying to have everyone doing their own thing, especially when they are little. The nice thing about literature-based programs is that they are not grade-specific like textbook-based programs.

Just some food for thought...

BluegrassMama
03-24-2005, 08:25 AM
In our family, each child has his own curriculum, but that only takes an hour or so per child, per day.

Everything else is done by all together! Currently we do not have a support group (although we do meet with other families now and then)...so it is important for the boys to be friends and share the fun stuff.

Also we do the individual studies in a one-room-school style. They do some work independently, and I'm there to help and explain. So they hear some of each other's lessons. (sorry, bad grammar there) Which reinforces basic concepts and causes great discussions!

BluegrassMama
03-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Ooh, Sara, I didn't think about ages.

I should mention that my hsers are 4, 6, and 8 so its easy to things together.

ArmsOfLove
03-24-2005, 09:03 AM
we have a little of both going on. as they get a little older and more into school I want to do more KONOS unit studies. And one thing I like about homeschooling is that it meets children at whatever stage they are in for each subject. This means sometimes my children are doing the same thing and sometimes not :)

Joanne
03-24-2005, 11:09 AM
My kids are 10 (well, next week he'll be 10), 8 and 6.

We do history, science and read alouds together. Math, phonics/reading, spelling are done at the same time but each child on their own level.

Winkie
03-25-2005, 09:15 AM
thanks! that makes sense. i can see where something like math or reading needs to be done at their own level, but for science or history it would be confusing to have one studying Egypt & another colonial America & another something else!

so, what do you use for science & history that works for multiple ages?

blessedmomof4
03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a 7yo, almost 5yo, 2yo and one on the way. Right now, I'm using the same curriculum for my girls b/c I have it. If I find something doesn't work for my younger girls then I'll switch or adapt what I have to their learning style(s). The subjects they do on their own level are: Handwriting, Math, Phonics/Language Arts, Reading, and Spelling. Like others said, we also do History and Science together. For those two I use Story of the World for History (we're using Volume 1 right now) and unit studies for Science.

hearttender4
03-25-2005, 01:11 PM

We do history, science and read alouds together. Math, phonics/reading, spelling are done at the same time but each child on their own level.

Pretty much the same here.

Miss Priss
03-27-2005, 01:27 PM

This is how we do it, too. Are you using Sonlight, Joanne?]

TestifyToLove
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Pretty much the same as Joanne. I try to do some things with just *one* child and none of the others will tolerate it. Though, the younger ones aren't 'required' to participate in all of the things we do 'together', they are still welcome to join just the same.

mommyTay
03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
so, what do you use for science & history that works for multiple ages?

We also do things like reading and math seperately and science and history together.

this year we are enjoying
Science- Beautiful Feet History of Science
History - Around the World in 180 days

last year we used
Science- The Scientist's Apprentice
History- Beautiful Feet American History